What would I run (class)

85 GT Kid

Hi guys I want o build my 85 GT as a street/drag/road course/show car (what a mouthful lol). I just want to go out on the track now and then and have fun but no competing but I dont know what class I would run (i'm more of a drag race guy and I know nothing of road racing lol). Also ive read that theres all different cage designs for each class but is this link good for all of them?

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf

Thanks,

John

O and heres a pic of the car in question (I have 3 others lol)

DSCN2844.jpg

Do I have to build a cage to the specs on the link i posted. Also I was reading the rules and for the rear braces I found this:

Some cars built for racing in other

recognized sanctioning bodies may be granted a waiver of this rule, however they must

show proof of compliance with the current published rules for their class.

What exactly does this mean?

u don't need to do anything for HPDE1. a showroom stock car can be driven for HPDE1. just add driver, helmet, and instructor

as long as your car is in good shape, u prob don't need to do anything other than brake fluid and pads

Do I have to build a cage to the specs on the link i posted. Also I was reading the rules and for the rear braces I found this:

Some cars built for racing in other

recognized sanctioning bodies may be granted a waiver of this rule, however they must

show proof of compliance with the current published rules for their class.

What exactly does this mean?

you're reading rules for wheel to wheel racing. the rules would say like if your cage is built for like scca or alms specs, they might grant a waiver

Well see I need a cage for drag racing (planning on 600+HP for it) so I figured i'd also do it for road racing also. Luckily a lot of the cage design is the same and it doesnt matter for each sport if you have extra braces so thats good too.

The problem I see is that it would be very difficult to campaign a 600hp+ Mustang drag car on a road course. You are going to need some serious brakes to stop that car too. If you want to get into road racing and if you have the means, I would pick up another Mustang to build into a nice car.

The problem I see is that it would be very difficult to campaign a 600hp+ Mustang drag car on a road course. You are going to need some serious brakes to stop that car too. If you want to get into road racing and if you have the means, I would pick up another Mustang to build into a nice car.

yea....but if he does manage to get it to turn on the corners, there'll be no catching him on the straight hehe.

john, are u thinking just as a hpde car? or actually doing competition?

I guess I should have said my other plans lol. Im also gonna have the Baer pro-plus brakes and full maximum motorsport suspension. This is my big project and i dont plan on havin it done tomorow but maybe it will be done next week .

I'm not sure what i want to do yet but from the sounds of it i may do HPDE. O and I could always pull the blower belt off lol.

I'm not sure what i want to do yet but from the sounds of it i may do HPDE.

Before you do anything that is hard to reverse, figure out what you want to do with the car.

Since you're on a NASA forum with a picture of a Mustang, I would suggest you look at the Camaro Mustang Challenge ruleset IF... and that's your call... you want to end up in wheel to wheel racing.

The best advice you will get is to bring you and your car to a NASA event, sign up for HPDE1 and be open minded. Another option is to just come to an event with an open mind and a camera and get to know some of the people and cars.

Where are you?

going to change suspension setups every time you change between drag racing and road racing? etc? etc?

I'd have my 600hp drag Mustang and a Spec Miata or something for racing... that's just me.

- KB, who sold a 12 sec Mustang to race a 115whp MR2. You don't need 600hp for racing to be fun...

I'm in roanoke VA. Closest track I know of is VIR but i think its like 2K a year for membership (Its redicuously high). I went there about 4 years ago for a shelby show and i got to see them race and that was really cool.

The high horsepower thing is just my choice and its not that I wouldn't have fun with a 300HP car its just thats what I want to build this car for. Also the suspension that i'd be getting is more for road racing but it will work just fine for drag racing (lots of guys run stockish suspension and runs 9s and for non drag race people thats fast).

I dont think im lookin for wheel to wheel racing as this will be a part show car and i dont think that be good if i got hit lol. I'm just lookin for somethin that I can just go out and have some fun regardless of how fast or slow i am so HPDE sounds like it.

I'll look into goin to a NASA event just not sure when thats gonna be (like everyone else money is tight) and every dime i have is goin towards a truck and gettin my convertible driving (thats my big goal this year).

going to change suspension setups every time you change between drag racing and road racing? etc? etc?

I'd have my 600hp drag Mustang and a Spec Miata or something for racing... that's just me.

- KB, who sold a 12 sec Mustang to race a 115whp MR2. You don't need 600hp for racing to be fun...

+1....on using a less powerful car for HPDE, at least to learn in, slower is better. I initially wanted my car to be fast & was preparing to do so, but upon advice of members on these forums in the know, I'm waiting to do most of my mods until I'm a better road course driver & the instructors think I'm ready. BTW, this 220hp car is the slowest thing I've driven in years....LoL

I'm in roanoke VA. Closest track I know of is VIR but i think its like 2K a year for membership (Its redicuously high).

You are probably 2 hours from VIR or ~3 hours from Summit Point. And you don't need the $2k/yr VIR membership to run there, just a NASA membership ($45/yr) and a HPDE entry fee (usually $329-$369/weekend)... start here: http://www.nasaracing.net

C'mon back to VIR and go for some rides Mar 26-28... see what can be done with a mostly stock Mustang, watch the CMC/CMC2 classes when they race, those guys are awesome. Or the AI/AIX race classes for the more modified ones.

Well im goin to do a blower set up so if I was to do HPDE i'd just pull the blower belt off and disconnect the intake tube and run it on motor that'd be somewhat tame.

Yeah i'd like to come watch some racin one day it was really fun when I went to the shelby meet. Cant do any racin this year as the 85 in the pic is my moms daily right now so if I broke anything we'd be screwed (it really sucks but better her than my dad drivin it). Thats good about the prices too (I looked at the prices prob like 3 years ago so i dont remember what it said exactly).