can I do tech at the track?

fsutton

From what I can tell by reading the rules, I don't need a medical form filled out for HPDE1. I do however need to complete a tech form. Does the tech form need to be signed off prior to my event or is the tech performed at the track?

For events here in the mid-west they check your car and helmet at the track and put a tech okay sticker on the car. It only takes a few mins but needs to be done before going on the track.

Which region and event?

New Jersey Motorsports Partk - Northeast of course

HPDE 1 April 17th and 18th

try here - I looked around a little bit and didn't see a defenitive answer posted

viewforum.php?f=24

one of those things that just plain varies by region

Guys, I am pretty sure the tech process for HPDE is the same for all regions.

Basically, you are responsible for making sure your car is safe to go on the track.

So, with that said, download and print this form:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/images/rules-forms/form_hpde_tech.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fill it out, go to the tech area at your event when you arrive, submit the form and provided there are no issues, you will receive your tech sticker for participation in the weekend's event.

Not much more to it. No tech fees, no tech centers to visit, just check off the boxes where appropriate making sure you answer honestly.

Most important, don't stress....HAVE FUN!

Mike - are you SURE that every region isn't picky about having a shop do that pre-tech?

I know SE, MA, and TX aren't... but thats all I know...

Mike - are you SURE that every region isn't picky about having a shop do that pre-tech?

I know SE, MA, and TX aren't... but thats all I know...

I have never heard of a shop doing an HPDE tech. Race tech yes, HPDE tech no.

But, as my ex-wife used to tell me all the time..."YOU could be WRONG ya know"

the form does say (emphasis mine)

Prior to bringing your car to the track or to the HPDE tech station, inspect each item on the car as listed.

of course your regional guys do have the option to override just about anything

In the interests of saving time I asked a local approved shop to do my HPDE tech, but didn't end up getting there. They told me though that my form would be filled out and I could just take that to the tech station for my sticker. If there are long tech lines at your event then this would be a nice option for you if there's a close race tech shop. If your first session isn't right after the drivers meeting it won't help much either.

I have the same question but for the Summit Point event in April.

If not at the track where do I go?

Have the pre-tech form filled out by a qualified individual (could be a shop or fellow participant... or it could be you, if you're 100% comfortable with that.)

Bring the completed form to the track. Hand it to your instructor on grid at least 15min before your first session. Your instructor will re-tech your car, sign the form, and issue your sticker.

Hand it to your instructor on grid at least 15min before your first session. Your instructor will re-tech your car, sign the form, and issue your sticker.

this instructor teching the car deal may be unique to Mid-Atlantic. I know for SE & TX you need to go through actual tech for your tech sticker to get on track.

In mid-atl, usually the only people who need to take their cars through the tech shed for a sticker are... those seeking new race annuals, HPDE3 drivers, TT drivers, and Hyperdrivers. Otherwise it would be quite an ordeal in terms of time and staffing, as 400+ car events aren't uncommon here.

In mid-atl, usually the only people who need to take their cars through the tech shed for a sticker are... those seeking new race annuals, HPDE3 drivers, TT drivers, and Hyperdrivers. Otherwise it would be quite an ordeal in terms of time and staffing, as 400+ car events aren't uncommon here.

you guys only have 2-3 race groups and 1 TT group. TX has 5 race groups and we're almost to the point where we'll split to 2 TT groups

besides, my region can beat up your region!

you need to send some of your TT guys to Nationals this year and see how we all stack up. Might have to place a friendly wager on it if you can send enough

Uh... my region's tracks have... more elevation changes than your region's tracks? Dunno, i got nothin

Jon, 1 Ken, 0.

Seriously, I think just one turn at VIR or Summit have more elevation changes than all tracks on the ENTIRE NASA-TX schedule combined.

Um, I corrected it for you...

But, as my ex-wife used to tell me all the time..."YOU ARE WRONG ya know"

To the original poster, you should be able to tech in the AM at the track. Just make sure you're at the track early enough to get signed in, remove all the crap from your car, swap tires/brakes if you need to, and get the car to the tech area

To fsutton,

I am going to the april 17th 18th event as well. I haven't got any email about instruction on what to do.

Should I expect an email like that? Or do I just have to show up at the track in the morning?

if u registered and paid already, just show up. do yer self-tech checklist ahead of time though so u don't get caught with a "omg, i can't run today?"

I will explain how tech is done in the Mid Atlantic region.

Hpde 3 and Time trials need to come thru the tech shed every event with one exception. If the TT car has already had an annual tech, provided the new tech form and received the new annual tech sticker.

HPDE1 and HPDE2 drivers will need to bring a completed pre-tech sheet to the track. The pre-tech does not need to be filled out by a shop, only by someone competent to check and confirm the items on the list are good to go. The student signs this form stating that is is good to go. This pretech form is given to the instructor on the grid prior to the first on track session. Instructor will review sheet, then review car.

Race classes need annual tech and are also eligible for the annual tech sticker.

Instructors need to turn their pre-tech form in to the Chief Instructor at the Sat. Morning Instructor meeting in order to obtain their credentials.