Goodyear contingency

David Fazzino

We finally have a tire battle! Hoosier, Yokohama and Goodyear Tires. I remember when the BFG R1 was the most popular tire at track events. The Goodyear GS was much faster but also more expensive. I never could afford the Goodyear tires! I found it sad that on the way to the 2008 nationals I drove passed the world wide head quarters of Goodyear in Akron OH. only to find the national race event (just down the road) sponsored by Toyo Tires. Hopefully USA tire companies will find a solution to competition from Asian tire makes. Starting at the race track is a good beginning. Maybe next year I will see some Goodyear competitors and flags at Mid Ohio.

I have been a Hoosier supporter but this is exactly what the ST series needed. This should increase technical and cost support for all the competitors. Good work NASA!!

Good to see other manufacturers stepping up and offering contingency.

It does baffle me though on why Hoosier and Goodyear, for example, require more starters and pay less tires with NASA than they do with SCCA. I don't get it. Goodyear wants 5+ starters (that's a challenge with many classes) with NASA but with SCCA I could show up, race against myself in some low to non subscribed class, and take home 4 tires in a weekend. Would be nice for an explanation from the manufacturers on the disparity.

Goodyear

NASA - 5+ starters - 1 tire / 1st

http://www.nasaproracing.com/contingency/goodyear/goodyear_contingency_info.pdf

SCCA - No minimum starters - 2 tires / 1st

http://www.scca.com/documents/contingency//10-Goodyear-Club-Nat.pdf

Hoosier

NASA - 3+ starters - 1 tire/1st, 7+ starters 2 tires/1st, 5+ starters 1 tire/2nd, 7+ starters -1 tire/3rd

http://www.nasaproracing.com/forms/2010/hoosier_tire_regional_contingency_info.pdf

SCCA - 3+ starters - 2 tires/1st, 5+ starters - 1 tire/2nd

http://www.scca.com/documents/contingency//10-Hoosier-Club-Nat.pdf

those crusty old SCCA racers with 1945 Lotus whateverthehells whine better than we do I guess (kidding!)

Competition is starting, this is just the first salvo... it'll go up from here

It does baffle me though on why Hoosier and Goodyear, for example, require more starters and pay less tires with NASA than they do with SCCA. I don't get it. Goodyear wants 5+ starters (that's a challenge with many classes) with NASA but with SCCA I could show up, race against myself in some low to non subscribed class, and take home 4 tires in a weekend. Would be nice for an explanation from the manufacturers on the disparity.

You only get 4 local chances per year to win with SCCA.

With NASA you get 16.

... in so cal at least... your region may vary.

Yep, what those numbers tell me is that in anticipated total payout, which should be about equivalent across sanctioning bodies, tire manufacturers expect to pay more frequently to NASA.

First off SCCA is National not regional.Second i know your kidding but just to clear the air.SCCA on the west coast is the shit.GT1 down to 45 car fields in ITA.Trust me i work and race with SCCA and NASA.Also you guys back east that talk a6 Hoosiers.Of course they will last longer and be faster,its colder over there.West coast track temps,120 to 140 degrees.We have black asphalt tracks.Thunder Hill temps are 140 degrees some days,15 turns and 9 of them are left hand turns with long g loads through the turn.I if you want the best and fastest tire i tested alot of tires and the Goodyears were the fastest and most consistent of all the tires.You guys do your math and see witch tire you will get a better pay out on.West coats car counts are big.If any one wants to talk about tires call me at 510 582-5031,and its Brandon Kraus @Roger Kraus Racing.Good luck to all of you.

Don't forget guys that the tire manufacturers still have to make money...

Contingencies are marketing tools. Sell more than you give away. That's the plan....

All in all it's good to see the tire companies offering awards......

I received mine the other day and can't wait to try them out.

IMG_4020.jpg

Goodyear.jpg

And if you need pricing feel free to give me a call. We also deliver to all of the Great Lakes events for free!

do they make any slicks (non-DOT) close to these sizes?

F: 305/650-18

R: 325/705-18

anyone ever try the slicks compared to others?

do they make any slicks (non-DOT) close to these sizes?

F: 305/650-18

R: 325/705-18

anyone ever try the slicks compared to others?

Sorry, no. They aren't making any slicks on 18" right now.

I'll let you know if that changes.