Thunderbird clarifications

jp99gt

Greg,

Can you clarify the class placements for Thunderbirds? The new rules list "T-bird" in TTE and "Thunderbird" in TTF but no other clarifications as to model years, engine sizes, superchargers, etc.

I've got an AI / TT Thunderbird in OH/IN next year and I need to understand the rules intent.

What goes where?

• National Staff

Jim,

There was actually no change made to the classification of Thunderbirds from the original 2004 rules. It looks like when the NASA-X guys revised the rules in March 2004, the 2002 accidentally got dropped off of the TTE T-bird. I never noticed it, and it got transcribed that way to the 2005 rules. We haven't had any T-birds run with us yet.

So, the way it should read is for: 2002+ Thunderbirds--TTE, and other Thunderbirds in TTF.

(Let me know if you think we need to make any changes.)

Greg,

If the base Thunderbird (older styles) is TTF, those cars had V6's, V8's and supercharged V6's (and the late 80's had turbocharged 4's).

I think base V6 models are fine at TTF, but V8's and super/turbo cars should have one (or maybe two) asterisks applied due to higher HP and better HP/wt ratios.