Patching a tire

gq4life

i got a nail in my tire. Its not leaking but obviviously I have to fix.

Can I patch it or will I be black flagged at the track?

I would never participate in a track event (racing OR hpde) on a patched tire. Is your car, more importantly your life worth the cost of one replacement tire?

Sure you could get a reputable tire shop to patch it with the latest technology and it will probably be fine, but I know I wouldn't take the chance.

McM

Former Race Tire Tech

I would never participate in a track event (racing OR hpde) on a patched tire. Is your car, more importantly your life worth the cost of one replacement tire?

Sure you could get a reputable tire shop to patch it with the latest technology and it will probably be fine, but I know I wouldn't take the chance.

McM

Former Race Tire Tech

dont know bout my life but i def dont want to ruin my car..

guess I have to wait to buy new tire.. seems to be rare size they expensive and have to order.. money super tight right so was wondering

Lots of people run patched tires. I have with no trouble. Use the pull through patch type not the plug.

u mean the patch that is cemented on inside of the tire,..

not the plug with used in military where u cement it and push the rubber cord thing through puncture hole..

Lots of people run patched tires. I have with no trouble. Use the pull through patch type not the plug.

u mean the patch that is cemented on inside of the tire,..

not the plug with used in military where u cement it and push the rubber cord thing through puncture hole..

That is correct, sometimes referred to as a patch-plug.

Plug_Patch_Repair.jpg

Keep in mind that Phils Tire Service, the authorized trackside tire support vendor for the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Great Lakes and Mid-West regions install these types of patch-plugs in tires. However, he will NOT install one at the track in a car that is to be used on the track, that should tell you something too.

It is possible and much more likely to have a tire failure on a patched tire. That should be obvious. The layers of the tire where damaged can seperate and cause catastrophic failure, but ya, people do it all the time. Most tire dealers won't even give you an invoice for a repair, bc of the legal liability (they don't want the paper trail). Food for thought.

It is possible and much more likely to have a tire failure on a patched tire. That should be obvious. The layers of the tire where damaged can seperate and cause catastrophic failure, but ya, people do it all the time. Most tire dealers won't even give you an invoice for a repair, bc of the legal liability (they don't want the paper trail). Food for thought.

i went and got quote for tire and install.. waiting for next paycheck end of month to tell them to order tire.. feel like Im never going to get on the track.. always something goes wrong..

you don't want that tire going down as you've got a 944 spinning in front of you, an RX7 driving into your door, and a Miata headed for your rear quarter panel

you don't want that tire going down as you've got a 944 spinning in front of you, an RX7 driving into your door, and a Miata headed for your rear quarter panel

vids or fail.