HPDE 1 to 2

jfranci3

I am a bit confused. What is the process of going from 1 to 2? Is there a formal sign off process or do I just sign up for HPDE 2? I've read the HPDE bullitin on the NASA site, but it doesn't say.

I could be wrong, but I think that 1 is for first timers only. If you sucessfully complete a 1 session, you can move to 2 without any formal process. That also assumes that you are comfortable in stepping up a level, if you aren't comfortable going up a level, you could probably stay in 1 till you are. I'm sure someone else with a better understanding will verify this.

NorCal has a system now were you have a "HPDE Passport" that is issued to you, and you instrutor evealutes you for the next level in that book. I am not sure if it has been implemented nationwide yet.

Moving up in class is something that is done with your instructors recommendation. This isn't the students choice. Although you may be able to sign up for the next class, you should talk with your instructors at the end of every event and ask them if you are ready. Some folks do HPDE1 once, others do it 3 or more times. Personally, I would be in no real hurry to go thru 1 and 2. The more 1 and 2 you do, the more instruction by more instructors you get.

As you can tell, advancement varies by region. Your best bet is to contact the HPDE director or regional director and see what their policy is and ask their recommendation. They'll get you on the right track.

-J