Hub, Quick Release, and Steering Wheel

dbgeek

I shopped for steering components this weekend and found that I can get a setup from $300 - $500.

I think I want the Momo hub, Rogue Engineering quick release, and a Momo Mod 78 (350mm) wheel.

What setups are you guys running? My specific concerns (from reading Bimmerforums) are wheel diameter, slop in the quick release, and leather/suede longevity.

Thanks!

I'm running a smaller D shaped Sparco suede wheel with a hubadapter and spacer. For me the wheel is too small and too far away, so I think I'll go for a larger suede Sparco wheel (355?) that has an offset, together with an NRG 2.5 quick release. I hope the NRG quick release will be all I hope for (ordered it first from statracing.com which is worthless and ended in a Paypal dispute, then finally from amazon.com)

I've had the Sparco wheel for a while and I really like the quality of it. An issue also to consider is seeing you gauges properly. With the small wheel I can't really see all of the tach.

I have the Mod 78 without a quick release. It is a bit too small as is. Like Anders...I'm missing the top of my speedo and tach.

I'm hoping a quick release will bring it a little closer as well as open up the view a little bit.

I found mine used on Bimmerforums. I can tell it's used, but it's in great shape. I like the feel and the smaller (than the school bus sized stock wheel) is very helpful in tighter turns (like 4 at VIR).

I'm looking at a RacePak data logger, so it might be a moot point on the view.

I bought one of the ItalVolati (?) from TeamDi for pretty cheap. It isn't suede, but kind of like a rubbery/pleather material that is holding up great. I've had it on for a year and a half now and have had no issues.

The diamter is a little small to see the guages, but I only need to see where redline is

I don't have a quick release yet, but am thinking I'll have to get one when I get the full cage so I can get in and out easier.

I've got the NRG 2.5 quick release on my car. I love it, only knock against it is that its a bit heavier than it should be. It gets lots of compliments when people see that the wheel can only go on one way which is what attracted me to it initially

• 1 month later...
  • Members
My first event with the NRG 2.5 at Hyperfest 2010 and I like it alot

I've got to imagine that at 6' 11" having a removable wheel is invaluable.

My first event with the NRG 2.5 at Hyperfest 2010 and I like it alot

I've got to imagine that at 6' 11" having a removable wheel is invaluable.

I tried to get the ItalVolanti wheel, but they were out of stock, so my setup is as follows:

Momo hub, Rogue Engineering quick release, and a Momo Mod 78 (350mm) wheel.

I even wired up the horn button. The position looks and feels right, now I just need to drive it in anger.

I've got the NRG 2.5 quick release on my car. I love it, only knock against it is that its a bit heavier than it should be. It gets lots of compliments when people see that the wheel can only go on one way which is what attracted me to it initially

+1

I was using a different, less expensive quick release that had a little slop in it. The NRG has no play and made connecting the horn button very easy. My one issue is the "lawyer button" that must be depressed at the same time the release ring is pulled. In an emergency it will slow things down.

+1

I was using a different, less expensive quick release that had a little slop in it. The NRG has no play and made connecting the horn button very easy. My one issue is the "lawyer button" that must be depressed at the same time the release ring is pulled. In an emergency it will slow things down.

I agree. i wonder if there is a solution to that, or if it would be too dangerous to remove it. I'm not using gloves now, but I can see it being tricky with gloves.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Just discovered when I took the car of the trailer this Sunday that the NRG 2.5 quick release, if I rotate the pull ring or paddle so that the indentation is not hitting the pin, but the other part of the ring, the pins pops down without pressing it. This is awesome! Takes .5 secs off my exit time, and no more pinched fingers.

If you have the NRG 2.5, try it and tell me if yours does the same. I don't know if it's a design flaw, damaged, or a design genius'ness