Same seat for instructor in HPDE?

boxtwo

on a side note...if you do add a racing seat other than the Evo for passenger you might want to add a note to your registration.

I once had an instructor that was a bit....um, round...that could not get into my 17" wide seat. They had to trade me to a less fed guy.

Though not as much of an issue on the Evo seat probably, because the bolsters arent as deep as the Kirkey Roadrace.

Until your post here is what I thought: I thought that you couldn't have Racing Seat and Harness without a roll bar and that you couldn't have a rollbar if you were only using OEM Seat/Belts.

I tried to find this in the CCR, but I could not:

I thought you needed to have at least a roll bar to run harnesses or is that just a recommendation?

I thought that you needed a pretty substantial seat back brace to run an OEM seat with a roll bar?

Your best bet is to treat the safety gear as a system and not a handful of random parts. Harnesses are no good unless your seat has proper guide-holes to keep them on your body properly. They're also no good if they don't stay within the manufacturer's recommended angles. Since there are VERY few stock seats that have guide holes, and since the proper angles off the shoulders essentially require a rollbar to mount to, or at least a guide bar to loop over, you might as well either do the whole thing (bar, seat, harness) or nothing at all. The OEM safety package (seat, 3-point, airbags) is actually quite good, even if it's not nearly as supportive as we wish it was...

The big sticking point for most people is adding a bar to their car. It eliminates the rear seat from use, usually requires cutting up the interior to fit, and generally makes the car less street-friendly (Um, no, officer, I bought that jungle-gym for my kids to play on... I would NEVER race in my car...). If you do it right, and put in the bar, a half-decent race seat and harness set can be had for a few hundred dollars, less if you go the ebay route. As I've said before, from my perspective, they do NOT have to match what you have, but they have to be in the same ballpark... Driver with a kilobuck OMP carbon-fiber seat, and me on a Corbeau? Fine, as long as we have the same harness types...

• 11 months later...

A question on the same thread topic. I've run HPDEs with BMWCCA for a number of years and was looking into NASA DE events (Midwest) to continue the learning curve. My car is an e30 BMW with a Kirk roll bar, 2010 Schroth 6-point camlock harnesses for driver and passenger, a fixed-back Sparco Corsa seat for the driver, and a Recaro Speed 5 Point seat (with shoulder and sub strap slots) for the passenger. The Recaro is a reclining seat but installed with an IO Port back brace attached to the roll bar.

http://www.motorsportseats.com/recaro/speed.html

Just want to check if there would be any issues for a NASA HPDE event. Thanks!

As an update to this, I decided that I was going to go with the SAME setup for driver and passenger. I did not feel comfortable shorting the guy in the RT front seat.