GTS2??

icemang17

Hello

I am new to this forum and and considering racing in NASA GTS2 class! It appears that GTS2 tends to be spec 944 or specE30 racers....and specific GTS2 cars that are a bit above spec944 and specE30....

944S2's seem to be a popular GTS2 car or modified E30-E36

I am located in norcal and there seems to be a healthy class of GTS2 cars locally.....

So here is my question....my "race" car is a 1984 Porsche 928....with a whopping 195whp and 3100lbs... Does anyone race 928's in GTS?

Greetings, and welcome.

Typically, the cars you've described (944 Spec and Spec E30) are GTS1 cars...and usually at the slower end of that class. 944 Cup cars and some less-restrictively set up Bimmers [fixed, per below] tend to be at the faster end of GTS1 and all of them are a bit too slow for GTS2.

Here in the middle of the country at least, the hot tip for GTS2 seems to be 944 S2s and 968s, although some of the faster non-M3 3-series cars are right in there, too, and we have a smattering of Audis and such.

I don't know of anyone racing a 928 in GTS2 right now but there's always a first! With 195 hp, your target weight is 2,828 lbs, including driver. If you can get that much weight out of your car it would probably be pretty competitive (but the question is if you can get that much weight out).

Alternatively, you could find some more power. You didn't say if the 3100 lbs is including you or car only. If it's both, you could add 18+ hp and still be safe at your current weight. If that's a car-only weight and we assume, say, 180 lbs for you, you could add 31 hp. Or, lose a little weight and add a little power and meet in the middle somewhere.

All of this is not to say you couldn't have a heck of a good time with your car just as it sits today...only that, around here at least, if you wanted to be in a position to be able to run at the very front of the pack you'd need to be at least reasonably close to your optimum power to weight...along with all the requisite suspension, driver, etc.

Good luck with it...keep us in the loop as you move forward!

Edited by Guest

GTS-2 in our region is a nice mix of the Spec-M3 cars, a couple of 911s, other Bimmers, an Audi and one VW.

C'mon scott, we drive Bimmers. Beemers are motorcycles.

Really? Never knew that. Apologies to all. Original copy corrected.

C'mon scott, we drive Bimmers. Beemers are motorcycles.

Really? Never knew that. Apologies to all. Original copy corrected.

It's like nails on a chalkboard to us, like peopl who pronounce it "porsh" is to you guys.

It's like nails on a chalkboard to us, like peopl who pronounce it "porsh" is to you guys.

Your objection noted, counselor.

(Seriously, thanks)

Everyone Thanks for the quick responses!

The bummer is the car makes more torque than HP....its dyno sheet is 195hp-233torque or the equivalent of 214...so my target weight is 3103lbs which it is already......its racing weight with a full tank (23 gallons) & driver is 3150lbs..... I could easily drop another 100lbs or add more HP.....but I do not want to bump to GTS3....

I have looked at lap times of local GTS2 cars and they are competitive with the times I get in my 928..... Next step is getting a logbook (next week) and work on getting my rookie license!

The contingencies offered by Hoosier is quite generous as well.....not that I think I will win, but free tires sure sounds nice!! Maybe down the road.... I currently run BFG R1's 245/45-16 all around and really like them.....but I have heard the A6 is far stickier, but with a shorter lifespan...

The bummer is the car makes more torque than HP....its dyno sheet is 195hp-233torque or the equivalent of 214...so my target weight is 3103lbs which it is already...

Actually, more torque than horsepower is a good thing. For all intents and purposes, you get the 38 extra lb-ft at half the weight penalty. That should be very competitive.

Why carry so much wt in gas? You could lose the 100 just by running the min.

This, definitely. Figure out your on-track fuel usage and try to work yourself down to the point you are ending a qualifying or racing session as close as possible to your minimum weight. It's hard to hit it right (and you can't afford to be under), but within 15 lbs or so is great.

I currently run BFG R1's 245/45-16 all around and really like them.....but I have heard the A6 is far stickier, but with a shorter lifespan...

The A6s are probably a little faster but, like the R1s, tend to go off after half a dozen laps. In 2008 I used A6s for about half the season (until it got really hot out) and I could run like hell for the first half of the race but spent the second half with all the guys on R6s closing the gap. I've been using R6s only for the last year and a half and they are fast for the whole race and last more than twice as long. I get two race weekends out of each set, FWIW.

Also, you may want to look at bigger tire sizes. I'm running 285/30-18s at all four corners on my 944 (minimum weight: 2,850). 245s aren't very big for the weight of your car.

Also, you may want to look at bigger tire sizes. I'm running 285/30-18s at all four corners on my 944 (minimum weight: 2,850). 245s aren't very big for the weight of your car.

Tell me about it.....!!!

-Scott B.

The bummer is the car makes more torque than HP....its dyno sheet is 195hp-233torque or the equivalent of 214...so my target weight is 3103lbs which it is already...

Actually, more torque than horsepower is a good thing. For all intents and purposes, you get the 38 extra lb-ft at half the weight penalty. That should be very competitive.

Why carry so much wt in gas? You could lose the 100 just by running the min.

This, definitely. Figure out your on-track fuel usage and try to work yourself down to the point you are ending a qualifying or racing session as close as possible to your minimum weight. It's hard to hit it right (and you can't afford to be under), but within 15 lbs or so is great.

I currently run BFG R1's 245/45-16 all around and really like them.....but I have heard the A6 is far stickier, but with a shorter lifespan...

The A6s are probably a little faster but, like the R1s, tend to go off after half a dozen laps. In 2008 I used A6s for about half the season (until it got really hot out) and I could run like hell for the first half of the race but spent the second half with all the guys on R6s closing the gap. I've been using R6s only for the last year and a half and they are fast for the whole race and last more than twice as long. I get two race weekends out of each set, FWIW.

The good news is its EASY to run bigger tires.....928's can fit 305's all around with minimal mods....with simple mods you could run 345's in rear no problem......I am VERY happy with how the car handles on the 245's and I am using stock 16x8 wheels so it keeps costs down too.....however I think the future will hold 18x10's all around with 295/30's all around...

I currently run an E36 325is in GTS2 in the Bay Area and should come out! I think it would be great to see a Shark running with us!

-CKKrause

Shark? Is that what you Pcar guys call a 928? Since I'm the marque nickname police around here, I want to make sure you are properly referring to a 928, cause us Bimmer guys know that a Shark is a 6 series. We may have to litigate ownership of the name.

I currently run an E36 325is in GTS2 in the Bay Area and should come out! I think it would be great to see a Shark running with us!

-CKKrause

Thats the plan.....1st I need to complete my "license test" in HPDE 4 1st...I was hoping to get it done in a couple weeks at lilredhut..but schedule problems won't allow it.... Maybe Infineon in June?

The old 928 gets around the track pretty good....I'm looking forward to getting out there with you guys!!! The only bummer is the races are so short.....I'm used to 2 hour stints racing in lemons!!

The old 928 gets around the track pretty good....I'm looking forward to getting out there with you guys!!! The only bummer is the races are so short.....I'm used to 2 hour stints racing in lemons!!

NASA Enduros are pretty cool, too. There's a 3-hour enduro going on tonight in my home region. Then there's this 25 hour race they do at Thunderhill...