Tire Patch

00-0980

A friend of mine had a nail in his tire and just got it patched. We're both planning on attending the CA Speedway event in March. Does anybody know if he'll be OK?

-Keith

Personally, I'd never run a patched tire at a NASA event. Safety is not worth the money saved for the cost of a new tire.

Street use? Maybe. Track use? Never.

keep in mind that tire get much hotter on the track! what may be safe for the street is marginal at best for the track. it isn't worth it. get a new tire. i know it hurts because i had a new sticker tire pick up a bolt in the paddock and had to replace it . it was never on the track!

• National Staff

Tell him not to even think about running that tire, especially at Fontana. A blow-out on turn 2 because of a patched tire can mean a quick trip into a concrete wall at over 140 mph, and possibly taking another car along for the ride. Safety is never the place to save money. If he can't afford a new tire, then he can't afford to go to the event. Thanks for bringing this here so you can let him know.

• National Staff

Vehicle technical inspection is the responsibility of both the driver and the NASA Authorized Technical Inspector. First, the driver must inspect the car using the HPDE Tech Inspection Form as a guide. Then, the driver must sign on the form, underneath this statement: "I have inspected the above vehicle and take full responsibility for its condition on the track." The vehicle must then be presented either to a pre-track tech inspection station, or an inspector at the track before the event begins, for a final inspection and sign-off/stamp by the inspector. The completed, signed, and officially stamped tech form must be presented on the windshield of the car at pre-grid to obtain a windshield sticker that will let the officials know that the car is approved to go on the track. This particular issue would fall under the "condition of tires" line on the form.

Race tech is done a little differently, with an official vehicle log book, comprehensive annual inspection, and sign off by a tech inspector at each event.