doc stang

how's this for a tow vehicle?

doc stang

2003, F-350, 4x4, with the 6.0l turbo diesel?

4 door crew cab, lariat trim with leather, loaded (or nearly so),

2 owners,

current owner has had for 2.5 years, and ~40k of the ~125k miles.

no problems reported.

asking $17k negotiable.

selling because they are downsizing their horse-related endeavors.

here's the fly in the ointment:

a buddy with an 2008 or 2009 F-250 King Ranch, and a handful of intake, exhaust, and tune mods.

(so i guess he knows what he is talking about), says :

Avoid the 6.0L like it has Ebola virus! It went into 2003 through 2007 models. The 7.3L was before that. The 7.3 was a great engine. The 6.0 makes for a pretty good boat anchor. The 2008 - 2010 6.4L is the best so far.

current owner's wife, says that they researched it, and learned that if teh engine was gonna be a lemon, it would have declared itself before the ~80k mile mark, at which they purchased it.

so shouuld i keep considering this vehicle, or move on to something a year older, an 08 or newer, or a dodge?

thanks,

doc

Jeremy C.

I'd personally look for a dodge. They've had a better track record than the 6.0 in the Ford, but the previous owner is right. Most of the duds declared themselves earlier in life.

I'd still go with the Dodge though.

Just my 2 cents.

Mr Pepsi

He's right about the 6.0 liter diesel, it was a lemon but they repaired it at some point, but that may have been a replacement engine of a different size, I don't recall. If you're still curious, do some searches on the Internet about Ford's 6.0 diesel and I bet you'll find out more.

jrgordonsenior

The early 6.0's from 03-05' were the problem children. They would blow head gaskets regularily related to the EGR valve. The fix was ARP head studs and a larger ERG intake. I would bet that you car has had that fix sometime in it's early history and you can check that via the VIN number at any Ford dealership.

The later 06-07's were pretty bulletproof and are considered a good used buy as they get significantly better mileage than the 6.4's which have their own issues. They've now been replaced by the new 6.7 which is the latest, greatest, etc....

I have a 06' w/40k miles and no issues. I've always added a 8oz. bottle of Stanadyne Formula to the tank every fill up which helps lubricate the EGR....

Shawn M.
He's right about the 6.0 liter diesel, it was a lemon but they repaired it at some point, but that may have been a replacement engine of a different size, I don't recall. If you're still curious, do some searches on the Internet about Ford's 6.0 diesel and I bet you'll find out more.

I know some poor sap with an 04' who has gone thru 3-4 turbos, a bunch of injectors and it still wasnt right even tho the dealer was fixing it. He finally got smart and bought a Dodge and I havent heard one bad thing about it. Why would you want a 4X4 for towing? Ive never understood that one.

Plus ive seen for myself one with the oil seal in the turbo fail and it fed the motor like it was a Prius gas pedal.

doc stang
Why would you want a 4X4 for towing? Ive never understood that one. [shrug]

dunno

I know 4x2 is cheaper

???less stuff to break???

And probably gets better mpg???

Will be 85% towing

occasionally taking stuff to dump,

rarely go get mulch or soil

it snows here maybe once a year, which lasts just a few days.

We go to the mountains (relatively speaking) of north carolina, once a year for a snowy/hilly family vacation

I NEVER forsee myself going mud-hogging, etc.

I guess I tend to have the 'better to have and not need, than need and not have' mindset.

Seems to be a lot more 4x4's from which to choose, than 4x2's.

Fairly indifferent (right or wrong) as to drw vs srw, and long vs short bed

I tend to buy and hold vehicles for a long time,

so I am ok buying new and taking the depreciation hit

I tend to generally be suspicious that buying used, I am getting someone else's heartache and lemon.

I really don't know much at all about trucks.

All advice is welcome.

Also any forums for diesel trucks, for help with noobies making truck choices would be appreciated.

I have found a few new '09s still on lots, and some new '10s (f-250, & f-350), for (IMHO) STEALS of a deal - so I feel some sense of urgency to grab one before they are gone.

guess

Shawn M.

Oh, you posted it in the SoCal forum so I assumed the lack of a need for 4X4. In Socal, only Yuppies get a 4X4. Where I live they are lifted, chromed out and never see dirt.

If your someplace that has a use for AWD, then by all means get it. My F250 almost never sees dirt and its 2X4 V10 gets decent mileage for what I use it for.

doc stang

I posted in EACH region's forum, (mea culpa), not knowing how much help I'd get on a kind-of an off topic.

One side benefit is different regions may have different insights, as you have shown.

I gues there is BARELY enough reason to go 4x4 that I will

in fact, at the feb 13/14 event, here in So CAroLina, there was enough snow And ice on the track sat am,

that folks spent an hour parading around the track in their tiw vehicles to break it all up.

I was in my buddies 4x4 F-150, he loaned me

loren fancy

if you do a cost study......purchase, fuel, maintenance, repiars, resale etc.......you would never buy a diesel PU unless you got lucky and drove it a ton of miles with little problems.........gas is the only way to go 90% of the time, I've been using ford and chevy gas trucks since 1994 and they last longer than a day to day driving diesel with a 1/3rd the maintenance cost...the cost difference of fuel is nothing .......most people have blown tons of money on diesel PU's and never got the return on investment........I will agree they pull great etc etc........but at what cost...........for me after years of experience in business and personal the only small/med size diesel is the izuzu 4 or 6 turbo diesel......I have had them all and the izuzu's have saved me a bundle........next in line would be the cummings......so if I were to buy a PU it would be the dodge.......6 speed.......you can keep that auto. The only other small diesel that has my attention currently is the mercedes van........but it has had auto trans problems......2 out every 3 people I've talked to over the years about there diesel PU trucks tell an expensive story........be very careful.

doc stang

Interesting,

seems like the small handful of folks I have talked to have all said diesel is the way to go.

the truck in the original post is no longer a consideration, never was really a strong one to begin with

now leaning towards a new, 2010, nearly-loaded, lariat, TD, auto 5 speed, 4 door crew for ~$40k (+/- 1.5k).

Thoughts on new???

Truck will sit more than run

will tow maybe 1-2 weekends a month (probably 1.75 weekends/ month on average)

3,000# mustang, in an aluminum, enclosed 1 car hauler (whatever that weighs)( I.e. Featherlite or haulmark)

is a gas engine enough??

Do I even need a 250 then?

Is a 150 too little truck?

if you do a cost study......purchase, fuel, maintenance, repiars, resale etc.......you would never buy a diesel PU unless you got lucky and drove it a ton of miles with little problems.........gas is the only way to go 90% of the time, I've been using ford and chevy gas trucks since 1994 and they last longer than a day to day driving diesel with a 1/3rd the maintenance cost...the cost difference of fuel is nothing .......most people have blown tons of money on diesel PU's and never got the return on investment........I will agree they pull great etc etc........but at what cost...........for me after years of experience in business and personal the only small/med size diesel is the izuzu 4 or 6 turbo diesel......I have had them all and the izuzu's have saved me a bundle........next in line would be the cummings......so if I were to buy a PU it would be the dodge.......6 speed.......you can keep that auto. The only other small diesel that has my attention currently is the mercedes van........but it has had auto trans problems......2 out every 3 people I've talked to over the years about there diesel PU trucks tell an expensive story........be very careful.

Shawn M.
Truck will sit more than run

will tow maybe 1-2 weekends a month (probably 1.75 weekends/ month on average)

3,000# mustang, in an aluminum, enclosed 1 car hauler (whatever that weighs)( I.e. Featherlite or haulmark)

is a gas engine enough??

Do I even need a 250 then?

Is a 150 too little truck?

At the very least you should get a F250 or equivelent. F150 just wont do the job as well as the F250 can. F350 can do more but there is additional cost. Car, trailer, plus gear and the occasional passenger(s) to go with, F250 seems to fit the best fit me thinks.

As I said I have a 99' F250 with the V10. Ive heard horror stories about that motor but its been a good truck for me so far. (knock-knock) Its got 220K on it. (We have a couple killer grades to tow up to all the tracks we go to.) I was looking for a Turbo Diesel but this one came up and was half the cost of the trucks I was looking at, so I bought it. Just done some basic maintenance on it so far. I did have one spark plug shoot out of the hole last year but it still drove me home. Easy fix too. Never left me stranded so far.

I tow to the track once a month and the occasional driving around town just to not let it sit for too long. Thats been my experience.

loren fancy

FOR TOWING A 1/2 TON IS NO GOOD.......stay with a HD3/4 ton or bigger.....check out what the towing packages have.......the ford 5.4 is a touch on the small side............great motor........I've had 2 v10's both great but use more fuel......I had a 99 f350 v10 and sold it with 200,000........it ran perfect as the day i bought it.......i sold it to a customer and he is still using it and loves it.....I've talked to many people that have over 300,000 on their gas motors and still strong.....the 6.0 chevy is fantastic and so is the dodge hemi.........In your case I can't see that you are using the truck enough to pay the 5,000-7,000 motor upgrade.........in cali you would also be paying 10-20% more per gallon .....check your fuel costs in your area..........if your going to go with a diesel I think the dodge is a good choice....also check who has the best warranty plan.

mcmmotorsports

03's were plagued with problems. Later years, not so much

I had an '05 6.0 that was chipped @ 420hp, 790ft lbs of torque.

Very reliable with absolutely no let downs.

AND, with my open trailer and my 2,600lb race car, I could get 15mpg EASY @ 60-62 MPH.

Not towing I could get 20-21mpg hwy and 17mpg city...as long as I kept my right foot light.

The 6.0 was a great motor regardless what others have said. It just had some pretty bad bugs early in its life that gave it a bad reputation. With all that said, I would avoid an '03 with that many miles for $17k. You could do better. Heck, I paid $19k for my '05 back in 2008 with 47,000 miles on it.

jrgordonsenior

3/4 ton (F250) at a minimum of you're going to tow. They have much larger brakes as does the F350 over the F250, F450 over F350, etc. Stronger shocks and springs too.....

Since you're looking at new, Ford's new gas motor sounds perfect for you....

kbrew8991

I'm surprised it took this long for a "you're going to die in a firey crash if you tow with less than an uber-truck" post

guy didn't even say what trailer/car combo he'd be pulling...

Shawn M.
I'm surprised it took this long for a "you're going to die in a firey crash if you tow with less than an uber-truck" post

guy didn't even say what trailer/car combo he'd be pulling...

Who said that? Im not sure which thread you are reading but in this thread, he said this:

"Truck will sit more than run will tow maybe 1-2 weekends a month (probably 1.75 weekends/ month on average) 3,000# mustang, in an aluminum, enclosed 1 car hauler (whatever that weighs)( I.e. Featherlite or haulmark)"

And helpful opinions were posted accordingly.

kbrew8991

sue me for only checking the op... you owe me a beer at Hallett.

I dunno that I'd do an enclosed with a Tundra or other 1/2tons, def not the Ford - doable but pushing it. Stuff is flatter out east but the chassis just aren't beefy enough to have the saftey margin most will be comfortable with think crosswinds, stopping power, heavier duty suspension to handle sway, etc. Sure it can get it going, a little Kia SUV could get the trailer going too, but its the other stuff where the manure can hit the fan.

If you need a normal sized truck, get an open trailer and a canopy.

Shawn M.
sue me for only checking the op... you owe me a beer at Hallett.

I dunno that I'd do an enclosed with a Tundra or other 1/2tons, def not the Ford - doable but pushing it. Stuff is flatter out east but the chassis just aren't beefy enough to have the saftey margin most will be comfortable with think crosswinds, stopping power, heavier duty suspension to handle sway, etc. Sure it can get it going, a little Kia SUV could get the trailer going too, but its the other stuff where the manure can hit the fan.

If you need a normal sized truck, get an open trailer and a canopy.

If you had any money, id sue you. Easy marks are easy marks.

You owe me Beers and BBQ!!

kbrew8991

yo momma is an easy mark

Shawn M.
yo momma is an easy mark

my mom died in 2000 of breast cancer.

So no.

doc stang

Thanks for all the responses .

I am 99.9% decided against ANY 6.0 ford.

Sounds like the '08-'10 6.4's are much better / more reliable engines,. . .

However, sounds like the mpg is more of an issue, compared to other years, or other vehicles.

Will a chip and some minor intake exhaust mods make much difference to mpg (towing &/or just driving)?

WITHOUT JEOPORDIZING WARRANTY?

Don't particularly care about making crazy hp or torque numbers, just improving mpg.

Thanks,

doc

loren fancy

want mpg get a dodge.....again do the math......unless of cource its just another toy/hobby....... then just do it

Ryan F.

I had a 2000 Tundra- Towed open trailer and tons of gear.... I had a 2004 Ford F150 with the 5.4- Towed 24' enclosed with 2200# honda. Have a 2006 Dodge dually diesel and it tows 17,000# Toy hauler

The F150 sucked. I bet the old Tundra would have towed better than the F150. The Ford brakes were terrible as well. Oh, and it won't tow it's max weight without adding airbags. Who named that "truck of the year" (silly motor trend).

Anyway, with your load of less than #8000 lbs you don't need a diesel. They are unreal but they are much extra $$$ so do the return calculation as you simply don't need for your mission.

The new Tundra is the shizz, hizzle and one of our HC racers tows a 14,000# toy hauler/car combo and it kicks ass, yes even over its gross max. Go drive a Tundra and go drive the others.

Look for a 2005-2006 Dodge diesel crew cab single axle. 2006 was the last year they made the engine without a bunch of emissions stuff That truck will (non 4x4) get 20mpg unloaded and will tow anything with anger. I think you can get a 05/06 with low miles for the same or less money than the gas options, you would be more than set.

doc stang

Have decided on a 2011 ford f-150 superduty diesel

thanks

loren fancy

Ryan should be reported for truck abuse.......F150 towing a 24' enclosed trailer with gear and a car........just a wee bit over over max.