what class? for supercharged rx8

olddragger

Guys----just wondering. I am a professional hpde guy with a few years experieince and recently my money situation greatly improved.

I am a lucky sum bitch:)

Improved to the point in which I am thinking of what i want to do next. Maybe TT?

I realize by the rules adding FI to a non FI car means the TT director will have to evaluate it for classing. Thats cool.

I dyno at around 300hp and 190 of tq, car weight with gas and me is over 3100lbs. I do run water injection but that is for detonation prevention only---no tuning for it.

No aftermarket ecu---oem was flashed tuned.

Now--reason I am putting this out is if this would throw me into a TTB class then I probably would not be competitive. A TTC class--yes maybe I would. Want is everyones thoughts? Have a chance for TTC?

Oh by the way at Roebling Road an unoffical time of 1:22---1:23 was recently done.

Olddragger

send in your car's year, make, model, rwhp, and a minimum weight you'd run at to Greg ([email protected]) and you'll get back a new base class. Its REALLY easy

Do you know the points for your other mods? I can "back into" about what you'd want your base class to be to land at the top of TTC if you know that.

Thanks for the quick response.

I can add up the other stuff---coilovers, sways, tires etc. I do have some flexability with those mods.

I will f/u on your suggestion and could get a fresh dyno sheet if required. I should not be at 10/1 ratio--close -- but not quite there.

I think I would be the only supercharger rx8 in the country running TT?

This IS easy----:)

Olddragger

hey I think I was out there at Roebling when you were, I think your car would be in TTB or TTA given the max power/weight for TTB is: 10.25:1.

we are running there in a few weeks you should come out and play

Hey Guy--which event? I was there for Seat Time on a Saturday, then again with Darkside on May 1/2? Great times.

If I would end up in TTB--Holy ----!?

played with some stuff over lunch on my excel class calculator - you're pretty boned on the horsepower to weight to make it under the 12.000 adjusted cap for TTC. Sounds like a "B" car to me as is.

At 300whp you need to come in at over:

3345lbs assuming you're on 245s or smaller

3435lbs if 275s or smaller

got an easy way to turn the wick down a bit so it dynos lower?

ex - lets keep the weight constant at 3100lbs min

273whp max if on 245s or smaller

263whp max if on 275s or smaller

of course we also have to watch the points stuff too, gotta be good on both to play in your desired class

interesting that you are thinking what I am thinking.

I can turn turn the boost down with a bigger pulley and I am at the 260-275 rwhp range.

I have ran ra 1 tire size 235's and a 225 hoosier with good results.

Other mods that count I think would be:

water injection

coilovers

sways?

oem body--no aero

oem brakes with track pads of course

I think I may be doomed for TTC. If i went TTB I would have to push this engine real hard --serious cars in TTB.

OD

water injection will be a freebie in your reclass from Greg so no worries there

The following assumes "basic" coilovers and aftermarket swaybars

TTC* base class on the 225 Hoosiers would give you 2 points left to spend and stay in TTC

TTC* base class on the 235 RA1s would give you 2 points left to spend and stay in TTC

looks like that's your target - might be useful info to send into Greg. You might have to run a little heavier than 3100 but its easier to add ballast in a good spot vs modify up to the next faster class, right?

thanks a lot Ken for the info and your guidance.

TTC may become reachable

I will have to dyno with my lower boost pulley as a start.

With a full tank of gas (we have twin tanks in a good spot) i know i can get to over 3100 easy.

May have some new competition out there

Since I am now off work--i will look a little more in detail

here me at RR running in a hpde class

http://vholdr.com/node/84903

Now to tell the wife and not have stuff made out of cast iron thrown at me

OD

I would come out and run at Roebling on the 22nd if you can we don't run there much: http://nasa-se.com/2010May22.php

You need run HPDE3 and get a checkride to go to TT looking at that smooth ass driving in the video I think you will have no problems!

You could just run TTU or one of the unlimited classes

• Members
Now--reason I am putting this out is if this would throw me into a TTB class then I probably would not be competitive. A TTC class--yes maybe I would. Want is everyones thoughts? Have a chance for TTC?

Olddragger

I dont see why not in TTB? The 2009 PTB National Champion drove a turbo charged RX8 and if he ran in TT with that time, he would have finished 2nd in TTB. Id call that Nationally competative!

Id say at this point your driving experience is more lacking than the car which, just takes time to get there. Where are you at in the HPDE's? Also, read thru the rules thuroughly as there are details that you are missing. For example, the minimum competition weight is when you come off the track with low fuel. As light as it could ever come off the track. Thats the number we use.

Guys----just wondering. I am a professional hpde guy with a few years experieince and recently my money situation greatly improved.

I am a lucky sum bitch:)

Improved to the point in which I am thinking of what i want to do next. Maybe TT?

I realize by the rules adding FI to a non FI car means the TT director will have to evaluate it for classing. Thats cool.

I dyno at around 300hp and 190 of tq, car weight with gas and me is over 3100lbs. I do run water injection but that is for detonation prevention only---no tuning for it.

No aftermarket ecu---oem was flashed tuned.

Oh by the way at Roebling Road an unoffical time of 1:22---1:23 was recently done.

Olddragger

Guess I'll be the first to ask, what the heck is professional HPDE?? Did I miss out on some money making opportunities when I was working my way up to TT?

appreciate everyone feedback. Its great!

My hpde driving goes back 6 yrs. Started when Panoz still ran a program at Road Atlanta. Tracking has always been safety #1, fun#2 and serious #3. Thats why in my vid i am very---shall we say casual--- while driving. Could I do better competively--heck yes. Braking would be harder, less shuffle steering, more determination, smoother input in turn 5, using more of the engine (in that vid i never went any higher that 7.2K rpms on a 9K redline)

etc. Oh and by the way i would NOT run 2 1/2 yr old nitto's!!

I choose to stay in hpde 3 with Nasa the last 4 years because thats where i had the most fun. I know I would have to go through 4 and check off but thanks for the reminder.

I also have instructed with Darkside.

Jim Pantas gave that professional hpde title to several of us at road atlanta about 2 yrs ago---so no more money making oppitunity there!

Like I say --now since money is better and time is better I am thinking about doing this.

I did not know that about the turbo'ed RX 8--thanks I will have to look that up. Encouraging.

If i do the TT thing---roll cage etc will be installed. I am not worried about weight-- i could get it to 3200 with my big butt in the seat and 1/4 tank gas(fuel starvation issues) if I wanted.

I can post a faster vid for RR and some for Rd Atl if yall want.

Besides i would still be in it mostly for the fun of it all. 1st or 5th--doesnt really matter. I just want a car that is competitive and has a chance.

Yall sound like a good group to hang with. i am part of the Ga RX 8 club--kinda one of the founding fathers:) Several of them are running TT in the SE region now, and they are doing well. But, my car is a little different:)

Olddragger

I am not worried about weight-- i could get it to 3200 with my big butt in the seat and 1/4 tank gas(fuel starvation issues) if I wanted.

I just want a car that is competitive and has a chance.

whatever class you pick, set it up for min weight. there is nothing else bang for the buck that'll make you go faster. Anything over min weight, you're just going slower for no real reason.

there's a reason pro race teams go nuts over grams

sounds like you are a SE'er, so good luck and look forward to having you

Hey--I resemble that remark

Have to get an offical dyno and weight 1st, then hpde 4 check off.

It would be nice if I could get to RR this w/e---i remember that turn 9 catch you did at the last NASA event there----sweet

I hung it out about 5 degrees myself a few wks ago. Got my own brown seat mark now

Let me ask for the wifes blessing--i understand there are still openings?

OD

Hey--I resemble that remark

Have to get an offical dyno and weight 1st, then hpde 4 check off.

It would be nice if I could get to RR this w/e---i remember that turn 9 catch you did at the last NASA event there----sweet

I hung it out about 5 degrees myself a few wks ago. Got my own brown seat mark now

Let me ask for the wifes blessing--i understand there are still openings?

OD

For you I am sure there are always openings...

uh uh trying to sucker me in no doubt.......?

Thanks about the dyno info, i will have to look them up.

Brakes? Dont they just slow ya down?

JK----oem brakes --rx8's have great brakes---running carbotech xp8's all around--never a problem with them. Never overheated, never faded. Good life. 130+ speeds at RA and RR.

Well asked wife about RR this w/e and I havent heard such language since Paris Island---man I love that woman:)

So I guess its a No to RR. So far.

Wonder if they will let me do one day? Sunday?

Have to e mail Julie fast.

well ran into a snag.

My oem pcm has a redline of 9K, I have a self imposed redline of 7.5 K. The higher rpms do give more power---but at a cost. Our community (rotor heads) believe that rotor wobble is occuring during those higher rpms and it is advised if you want engine longetivity to lower your redline.

No way to limit the redline on the oem computer that cant also easily changed.

I understand and agree with the rules.

So my class would be TTB as I cant get to 260/270 hp with my set up without my self imposed redline.

Dont yall trust me

I would be less competitive in B, but i can still catch em in the braking zones and turns

I Think I would be about 2 seconds off the track records for RR and RA.

OD

well ran into a snag.

My oem pcm has a redline of 9K, I have a self imposed redline of 7.5 K. The higher rpms do give more power---but at a cost. Our community (rotor heads) believe that rotor wobble is occuring during those higher rpms and it is advised if you want engine longetivity to lower your redline.

No way to limit the redline on the oem computer that cant also easily changed.

I understand and agree with the rules.

So my class would be TTB as I cant get to 260/270 hp with my set up without my self imposed redline.

Dont yall trust me

I would be less competitive in B, but i can still catch em in the braking zones and turns

I Think I would be about 2 seconds off the track records for RR and RA.

OD

You will get faster....

Hey OD -

Just set it up best you can, pull the string out and go run.

If you are gonna mod up or down a class best to see where you stand before spending time on changes. You know how an 8 sets up as well as anyone.