New to NASA with Racing lic. ?

TonyHarris

Hello, I've been researching SCCA and NASA competition licenses for short time because I want to begin competitive wheel to wheel racing. I am already a member of the SCCA and do autocross events everychnce possible but realize that track driving and then racing are a whole different beast. I am really attracted to the way that NASA progresses you through several different stages of track driving before promoting you to competetive time trials before you can obtain your lic. SCCA I believe requires everyone to have a purpose built racecar to progress to their comp. lic. while NASA allows the use of any safe car to drive in the HPDE's. What I would really like to know is, which one would be better (most experience & least expensive) to get my lic. through, NASA or SCCA?

Thank you,

Tony Harris

you're going to get some very biased responses here

I've had buddies do both, in the end I think NASA's "ladder" is a much better idea and ends up producing a bit better rookie racer. After that, its all on you - they've got fast veterans just like we've got. Also there are many that race with both clubs...

Biased opinions won't bother me as I am already biased towards NASA as far as the HPDE way of getting a lic. but my main concern is being able to race in series from both clubs. From what I have read, the SCCA will recognize an NASA lic. but the NASA will not recognize your SCCA lic. is that correct?

NASA recongizes many different organization's race licenses - SCCA, PCA, BMWCCA are the big ones but there are many more listed in the CCRs.

What I would really like to know is, which one would be better (most experience & least expensive) to get my lic. through, NASA or SCCA?

Hi Tony,

Good question. In this case experience vs. expense are directly related because track time costs money. And because SCCA requires far less track time to get a license, in my opinion the NASA way is better - specifically because all that track time as you "climb the ladder" will definitely prepare you more thoroughly for racing.

As for cross-recognizing licenses, if you do the SCCA minimums (i.e. two school weekends in a racecar) and get a rookie permit you probably won't immediately be racing with NASA because it's not equivalent experience compared to a bunch of HPDE's then comp school. However once you have a non-rookie SCCA regional license it should cross over directly.

Which NASA region would you be running with? It's a great idea to ask your nearest regional director about this too.

Hope it helps,

Jon

Which NASA region would you be running with? It's a great idea to ask your nearest regional director about this too.

great advice - there are some slight region-to-region variances to be aware of

Thank you both for the input. The region I will be running with will be the Southeast (Florida to be exact). I cannot wait to drive on tracks like Sebring and PBIR. Is it possible to advance faster than a few events for each group (i.e. 1,2,3,4). I have a lofty goal of advancing to time trials by the end of 2011. I will be trying to do at least one or two events this year and at least five or six next year. Is that a logical goal to have?

Six to eight events should get you into time trials unless you are a no driving sumbeach

If at all possible do them all in the car or type of car you are going to be using for w2w.

Do lots of different tracks - Road Atl, Roebling, CMP may be within driving distance for you.

Put a right side seat in there for an instructor - You will want it even in grp 3!

If your region doesn't automatically assign instructors in group 2 - ask for one. Sometimes you'll wind up with an experienced racer this way.

Ask questions at the track, absorb everything you can.

Ok, I was planning on using my WRX, which is my daily driver, for hpde and time trials. After reading your post and taking insurance into consideration, I have decided that I should buy a CHEAP track duty only car that will not require me to get track insurance and that will allow me to focus on improving my driving skills, not worrying about wrecking or someone else wrecking the car I rely on day in and day out. So far I have narrowed my choices down to either a fox body mustang or a Porsche 944. I decided on the Mustang because it is cheap and after HPDE and timetrials it can be used as a racecar for American Iron series which has plenty of races in my region. The 944 seems to be a great track car with great weight distribution and will allow me to race in 944 spec series which there are plenty of as well in the region. Am I on the right track with my planning? And of those two cars which do you gentlemen (and possibly ladies ) think would be a better choice?

Thank you again,

Tony

The mustang is a good car. It is cheap to build, but you will spend more money on consumables due to it's decent power, and big weight. Good luck.