Which Class Should I run in.. 68 Datsun

Pauly

Hello, I have an old Bob Sharp fully prepared '68 Datsun Roadster 1600CC 150Hp that runs in F Production in SCCA. What class would I look at in NASA? I've tried to work through the classification sheets and it looks a bit confusing to me. Also SCCA is using transponders in my region for timing and scoring. Is NASA using something like that or GPS or are they going to? I'm kind of ticked off with SCCA for forcing us to buy a $400.00 transponder to get scored combined with a $500.00 school to get a license. And finally, my car isn’t setup for two seats and would require mods to get there. I have previous racing experience having held a license in SCCA. Do you think I can get a waiver for the in-car instructor?

-Pauly

I don't have an answer for your classing question.

For Time Trials there is a discussion forum and send an email to Greg for classing questions.

I'm jealous I don't live in your region - I'd love to see that car.

Post some pictures!

• Members

Contact the regional director in your region and they will put you in contact with all of the local folks who can help you out. If you intend to do TimeTrials or Racing you'll need the AMB transponder (~$450) - the good news is that it is the same transponder that SCCA, PCA, HSR, BMWCCA, etc use.

That would be a cool car to see out there, we have a 72 Toyota Corolla that runs with us regularly and it is cool to watch!

I'm kind of ticked off with SCCA for forcing us to buy a $400.00 transponder to get scored combined with a $500.00 school to get a license. And finally, my car isn’t setup for two seats and would require mods to get there. I have previous racing experience having held a license in SCCA. Do you think I can get a waiver for the in-car instructor?

The car would probably run in one of the NASA PT classes (base class + points for mods, just like TT.) Where it ends up depends on how much has been done to it; the S-club Production classes definitely allow things that take significant points hits with NASA (for instance full slicks), so it's possible that you'd end up in one of the catch-all classes instead.

NASA uses those $400 transponders as well. School prices vary among regions and tracks but most are in the $350-$450 range.

As for the waiver, contact the director of the region you're planning to run with.

Thanks for all the help guys! I'll follow-up on those suggestions. If you’re interested, I have pictures and a brief history written up on my website. The URL is http://vfreek.tripod.com/id16.html It does tend to draw interest where ever we go with it. It was driven by the late Jim "Fitzy" Fitzgerald and I bought the car to make some memories with my dad who used to race Datsun’s himself. I still use the Su/Hitachi carbs that came with it. I love that howl. You can hear the car run on our "youtube" account by searching "#38 Datsun Roadster". There are two dyno pulls and a couple laps around an auto cross event we went too.