ST3 how is it progressing?

profeser

Hey just wondering how ST3 is doing. Does it look like a viable class for all regions next year? How many cars have shown up etc. etc...?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• philstireservice

• kbrew8991

• Greg G.

• Shawn M.

Hey just wondering how ST3 is doing. Does it look like a viable class for all regions next year? How many cars have shown up etc. etc...?

I tried to get to ST3 numbers but couldn't legally add enough ballast, cool suit and 20# fire system to meet the minimum weight. I ended up pulling all uneeded items/ballast and ran ST2 instead....and did fairly well.

I never did understand the whole "must have approval to run ST3" decision as it seems if you want to build a class, you would let everyone in legal or not like CMC/2 does. Different powers that be I guess. Why they don't allow more ST class like GTS does is beyond me.

I know there are a few guys in TX that would like to run it but are worried it will die soon and aren't working on builds to meet those rules and are sitting and waiting, or building for ST2.

needs more time - there is some draw for people that don't like the PT ruleset but also don't want to build an 8.70:1 car

I just crunched the numbers and looks like ST3 would be a great class for my Zed. Too bad racing in any class other than SM or TR is practically non-existant here in Florida

• 1 month later...

I tried to get to ST3 numbers but couldn't legally add enough ballast, cool suit and 20# fire system to meet the minimum weight. I ended up pulling all uneeded items/ballast and ran ST2 instead....and did fairly well.

I never did understand the whole "must have approval to run ST3" decision as it seems if you want to build a class, you would let everyone in legal or not like CMC/2 does. Different powers that be I guess. Why they don't allow more ST class like GTS does is beyond me.

I know there are a few guys in TX that would like to run it but are worried it will die soon and aren't working on builds to meet those rules and are sitting and waiting, or building for ST2.

Only you would have issue w/ a car running in CMC who is not 100% legal and running 5-10 seconds off top 5 CMC lap times.

Why they don't allow more ST class like GTS does is beyond me.

Good to see I am not the only one. Heck, could just drop the G from GTS and allow cars from other countries.

• Members

Good to see I am not the only one. Heck, could just drop the G from GTS and allow cars from other countries.

We do, its called PT.

To me honest with you, with all the push to get ST3 running in 2 regions for 2010, there has been minimal turnout to warrant its existence at this point. The season isnt over yet so there is hope. Unless someone actually runs ST3, it wont be back next year.

We do, its called PT.

Completely different rulesets. One uses power to weight like ST and the other a secret formula base class designation followed by adding up points for modifications.

• Members
Completely different rulesets. One uses power to weight like ST and the other a secret formula base class designation followed by adding up points for modifications.

Which means you have to spend big money to be competitive, just like GTS. As I said, there is no participation in ST3 in the 2 regions that screamed for it the most and you want ST1-5? Im not willing to delve into PTA-C. They have competitors that show up and run those classes already.

If you are having problems figuring out the PT ruleset, ask your regional PT director.

I am trying to run this class as I was pretty pumped when I heard that Texas was getting it. It enabled me to add a reasonable amount of power to the car that I believe the stock bottom end can handle to reach the 10.25 ratio.

A lot of cars that were rumored to race in the class haven't shown up this year or ended up in ST2 instead. I missed one race at TWS due crankcase pressure issues and missed all 4 races at Hallett after losing 3rd gear in two laps of practice.

Rob missed the last two events but I believe he plans to run the next two. Not sure if Colin will run ST3 again or not as he might be slightly over the limit for ST3 on slicks. Gerry usually jumps up into whatever class has cars in it as there are few PTA/B cars in Texas and Mark ran PT in the couple races he's made so far. There are supposedly a couple other AI cars that might come and play, but that's just rumor until someone actually shows up.

Originally I was hoping the ratio would have been higher than 10.25 so I could reach the HP goals naturally aspirated but I needed to supercharge the car, creating some mechanical issues(cooling and crankcase pressure) I've had to deal with.

I want the class to survive but with tire contingencies available I can't run it by myself and give up on the chance of winning the odd tire in ST2. With time I think the class can grow and gives a place for cars without crazy hp to play and not break the bank.

Sean I've got an MR2 guy I've been working hard on to come play with you guys as well. 10.25 is just about perfect for a decently but not overly modified MR2 Turbo

A lot of cars that were rumored to race in the class haven't shown up this year or ended up in ST2 instead. I missed one race at TWS due crankcase pressure issues and missed all 4 races at Hallett after losing 3rd gear in two laps of practice.

Rob missed the last two events but I believe he plans to run the next two. Not sure if Colin will run ST3 again or not as he might be slightly over the limit for ST3 on slicks. Gerry usually jumps up into whatever class has cars in it as there are few PTA/B cars in Texas and Mark ran PT in the couple races he's made so far. There are supposedly a couple other AI cars that might come and play, but that's just rumor until someone actually shows up.

Sean, there are a handful of reasons cars aren't showing up...mostly center around builds taking longer than expected....However, the biggest reason you aren't getting ST3 cars showing up is the Officials that are approving participation always end the conversation with "don't get too excited as it likely won't be around next year"..... If the class is going to be proposed...it should be promoted to succeed and not as a one year test. It isn't being promoted by anyone except those that like the idea of running in it....therefore I feel it won't succeed and have set sights to run in ST2 for the long term.

I have 3 or 4 buddies in AI in TX that would run ST2 but various problems have come up for them during their builds or family issues (ie, new babies or businesses). Heck, we had one show up from Oklahoma at TWS I didn't know about and was excited to see him run ST2 with us and I think he got a second place on RA1's!!! I think he sold the car 5 days after the race though so that is a bummer.

I'd like to see ST3 gain momentum but it needs more UUMPH from above. I'll do what I can to keep feeding cars into ST 1/2/3 but don't want to be blamed for it being full of mustangs and camaros by years end! It's a great class to run in and getting away from my former race class has been a great move as I have more cars to run against and far fewer headaches. I don't have the fastest car now and I am enjoying the challenge of moving to the front of the pack with more than 2 cars to race against.

Glenn.....get a life.

I'll do what I can to keep feeding cars into ST 1/2/3 but don't want to be blamed for it being full of mustangs and camaros by years end! It's a great class to run in and getting away from my former race class has been a great move as I have more cars to run against and far fewer headaches. I don't have the fastest car now and I am enjoying the challenge of moving to the front of the pack with more than 2 cars to race against.

You certainly won't get any complaints from me. I've always enjoyed the variety of makes and models competing in ST and our run group. The more the merrier.

Its gotta be fun beating up on a Ferrari with a Nissan

It's fun to try but they usually beat me! I like the challenge though.

We do, its called PT.

To me honest with you, with all the push to get ST3 running in 2 regions for 2010, there has been minimal turnout to warrant its existence at this point. The season isnt over yet so there is hope. Unless someone actually runs ST3, it wont be back next year.

Too bad.....Then you better class my car as is in PTA...

Sean, there are a handful of reasons cars aren't showing up...mostly center around builds taking longer than expected....However, the biggest reason you aren't getting ST3 cars showing up is the Officials that are approving participation always end the conversation with "don't get too excited as it likely won't be around next year"..... If the class is going to be proposed...it should be promoted to succeed and not as a one year test. It isn't being promoted by anyone except those that like the idea of running in it....therefore I feel it won't succeed and have set sights to run in ST2 for the long term.

I have 3 or 4 buddies in AI in TX that would run ST2 but various problems have come up for them during their builds or family issues (ie, new babies or businesses). Heck, we had one show up from Oklahoma at TWS I didn't know about and was excited to see him run ST2 with us and I think he got a second place on RA1's!!! I think he sold the car 5 days after the race though so that is a bummer.

I'd like to see ST3 gain momentum but it needs more UUMPH from above. I'll do what I can to keep feeding cars into ST 1/2/3 but don't want to be blamed for it being full of mustangs and camaros by years end! It's a great class to run in and getting away from my former race class has been a great move as I have more cars to run against and far fewer headaches. I don't have the fastest car now and I am enjoying the challenge of moving to the front of the pack with more than 2 cars to race against.

Glenn.....get a life.

This all true...It needs someone at the track talking to the stragglers in the PT, AI, GTS classes (yes there many in every region) at each event and corralling them to run ST3 !! When they find that they are very competitive with the other cars you'll have a bigger turn out.

Phil I completely agree and I'm a great case-in-point. I started racing with NASA last June in GTS3 and did well but really enjoyed the other marquees racing around me. Our ST/AI classes have split starts from the GTS series so I would end up racing with them eventually in the races. So I figured out what I would need to be competitive in ST2 and I've thoroughly enjoyed competeting against the Mazda GT's, Corvettes, Evo's, and some really drivers. I think with some exposure you will convince some GTS racers to run against the ST cars. It's been a great experience for me....

• 5 weeks later...

Even shedding 100# and adding 10 hp, I'd be at 12.38:1, yet I'd plan to run ST3 with an S2000 at some future point. FWIW, I run with NASA Mid-A.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...