Roll Call for Buttonwillow June 25-27

sagoston

I won't be there but it is no problem to stay at the track. Jim Foxx, John N. and Tim C. to name a few usually stay at the track.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cbuzz

• sagoston

• Tim Comeau

• 944-Spec#94

Thanks cbuzz.

I just got the Buttonwillow event email from Ryan too, "The track will open on Friday and remain open 24hrs until Sunday."

Steve,

I may make half a day on Friday but it is up in the air at this time. I still need to put a fender on the car plus a bunch of other things. I am leaving for Alaska for a month of camping the first week of July and my camper needs repairs so that is the current priority.

Steve,

I may make half a day on Friday but it is up in the air at this time. I still need to put a fender on the car plus a bunch of other things. I am leaving for Alaska for a month of camping the first week of July and my camper needs repairs so that is the current priority.

Be sure to bring enough sandwichs for the polar bears. See ya' at B (fill in the blank) Willow.

OK, looks like a great turnout you guys.

I hope everybody is registered by this Friday to save some money and help Ryan plan better!

We're putting a passenger seat in Everett's car so I and others can instruct. This is the first part of our SoCal 944 spec mentoring program. Ask me about it at the track.

3 cars have sold recently and I want to get the new owners racing with us.

Dean Winger's yellow 944

Dennis Puddesters's white 944 (thru Diana)

Greg Trigeiro's red 944. This one sold to Pete Smith and he'll be racing with us soon.

See you guys up there late Friday night. Let's have a great racing weekend with NO CONTACT! I don't want guys paying for bodywork instead of paying for Nationals!

One more thing you guys......

Can we get all the cars with the drivers name on the windshield?

4 inch high letters

white

simple block capital letters (unless you have a name like NIEDERNHOFER!)

The name decal should be high and on the passenger side so they will show up in photos. Or if you're spinning backwards off the track, it will show up in videos! High on the right puts it behind my wink mirror so it doesn't affect my forward vision at all.

Bette at 7's Only should be able to make those for you at the track. But it would be best to call ahead and have them ready when you get there.

Call them at 661-764-5456

Jim, sounds like a great trip. If you don't make it up for Friday, we'll save you a nice central spot where you can setup the Deli. Maybe some room for your car too

For those that can't make it Friday and want some extra seat time, Ryan has added a supersize PT option. Select PTE for our cars.

Hi Steve are you sure our cars are PTE?

That is great if they are. We should be competitve in that class.

If nobody else signs up for GTS-1 at the Nats I may run PTE instead. I have looked at the laps times and we should do OK.

Wish I could be there.

I'm envious of Jim and his trip to Alaska. I'm kind of an amateur naturalist.

According to Ryan, there's 7 racers registered.

We need:

Foxx

Peters

Palmer

and myself to register. I'll do so right after this post. Price goes up after Friday! Who can we get to make it an even DOZEN? The DIRTY DOZEN!

Bennett?

Neville?

von Mende?

Anybody else want to rent?

Charlie, no I'm not sure about PTE for our cars. That's where Ryan thought we should be since the SMs are in PTE. I haven't run PT anything so I don't know how it works. Do we need to get the official classing from the PT director?

For this event it was more about getting seat time and not really about winning the class. If PTE is borderline for our cars, the guys who just want more seat time could always go to PTD/C/B/A so they don't steal points from anyone serious in PT.

It would make sense that if SM is PTE then we should be as well.

The PT classification sheet is a mightmare. I think you can do a hp/wt ratio for that as well.

If you have a chance contact Greg Greenbaum at the BW event and check with him. I will do a little snooping as well to see what is up.

I would rather run a class with a bunch of cars at the Nats as opposed to 3-4. Heck might even get on the podium.

I've got an Excel sheet I put together that really helps out with the TT/PT/ST ruleset.

You've gotta be under on mod points and hp/weight to be legal for any given class. I'd suspect PTE as well, but, gotta do the math. If I was more familiar with a 944Spec car and what they have done to them I could help more but

PM me your email and I'll send over what I've got. I'm not quite as knowledgeable as Greg but I also respond alot faster (less busy) so I could help there on questions too if you ask nice

Hi Steve are you sure our cars are PTE?

That is great if they are. We should be competitve in that class.

If nobody else signs up for GTS-1 at the Nats I may run PTE instead. I have looked at the laps times and we should do OK.

Wish I could be there.

Charlie,

A 944 spec could run in PTE, but only if it were carefully built. It might even need to compromise on a few things. My 944 spec would class in PTD and I suspect your will as well. We had been using a dual classing system Arizona and I have classed a typical build 944 spec and every time I do it comes out PTD. Sometimes just barely into PTD and others well into the PTD points.

The fact is we should be in PTE, but we do not make best use what is allowed and what we need to take poitns for in PT. We could be competitive in PTE, but not so much in PTD because we do not have the power. One thing that nails us is the 5th gear swaps are 3 points. That is alot of points. Plus we take alot of points for weight reduction. Also mods that are "free in PT" are not allowed in 944 spec. Such as different final drive ratios and DME chips. I have looked closely at PT rules and you could slip in PTE, but is likely such a car will be compromised for 944 spec competitiveness and even then you would not be optimized for PTE. I think any optimal 944 in PT would run a 4.10 final drive and make careful use of the differences in weight and base classing for the 924S, 88 944, and 83-87 944. So PTD is really a safe place to play if you just want track time vs running competitively.

If just want track time with chance to be competitive GTS1 is easy since we need zero changes and can run fairly well since we pretty solid on power/weight. In PTD are not even close to the minimum power/weight. In fact our power/weight make us legal for PTF. We can run't PTF due to the chassis mods, but we had that sort of anemic power/weight. This means we are just not fast enough to hang with PTD cars at Miller. On shorter tracks we might be ok with a tire change to hoosiers, but at Miller we giving up 30-50hp to a well prepared PTD car so tires can't make up for that.

You could get in PTE with ballast and maybe some carefull tweaking of the car. You would need to really read the rules close to fit however.

Thanks Joe and Ken.

With the 924s I am not doing the gear change since it comes with that car. But It does have a different LSD. I have no strut tower brace and some stock suspension bushings. Not sure if any of that makes a difference but that is what it is.

I could certainly go to a stickier tire as well but I think Hoosiers are extra points as well.

Ken here is my email cb at fibertools dot com

had more time on my hands after lunch than I thought so I went through the 944-Spec rules and sent the sheet over to Chuck. Looks like ~8 points over the limit for TTE/PTE based on this listing "Porsche 944 ('83-'87) TTF** 2779". I hope I picked the right car to start from... easy fix if I didn't

It doesn't sound like PT is a great supersize option if we have to run in PTD, at least not if you're trying to compete for the podium. 3+ seconds per lap difference is just a little too much...

TTE/PTE is possible but you guys have some hoops to jump through to get there though. I'm curious to see what Chuck B. gets back from Greg G. as that'll let you know just how possible it is.

It's definitely possible but jumping through hoops to supersize makes it less appealing, especially when there is a hoopfree option in GTS1. Let's see what Greg and Chuck come up with. If there are significantly more entries in PTE and the hoop jumping is minimal, it may still be a good option.

I am only interested in going to PTE or PTD if the level of competition is higher. We only had 4 of us in GTS-1 last year and I ended up driving around by myself since I was on R888 tires and you need Hoosiers to win.

Still the track time for GTS-1 as practice for 944Spec racing was very important to me since I had never been to Miller.

I am only interested in going to PTE or PTD if the level of competition is higher. We only had 4 of us in GTS-1 last year and I ended up driving around by myself since I was on R888 tires and you need Hoosiers to win.

Well tell Foxx to not buy Hoosiers this time!

Really 944 spec had the most competitive championship race. Not many guys fished 2.5 seconds out of the lead, but in 4th. All they way to 6th were pretty tightly bunched.

Your best bet for competitive racing is probably to get a few 944 spec guys to run GTS for fun and convince them to stay in 944 spec legal trim.

The only changes I would make to my car for PTD is remove weight. I have 90 lbs of ballast I can remove. For PTE (if Greg will let this happen) is to run as 944Spec.

I don't want to change tires and setup for another class. Our cars would be competitive in PTE in Spec trim. IMO

I don't want to change tires and setup for another class. Our cars would be competitive in PTE in Spec trim. IMO

However not legal in PTE. At best that could change for 2011, but not this year. I doubt it would be fair to the PTE cars to allow us to run PTE as legal spec car.

This why GTS is so much easier. Virtually no rules do deal with makes it easy to supersize. Lets face it we would be lucky to have our cars competitive in two classes with minimal changes.