If You're Building a Car...

Jon M.

• Members

Post up your progress here. I received word from the Richmond area that Mitchum Motorsports currently has 10 new orders for Spec 3 exhausts. This is great news as history has shown that this is the last item each future racer has purchased.

I hope all is well with everyone. I looking forward to be less than 2 weeks away from the next event. Also good news, our resident NASA Timing and Scoring Chief is healing well and hopes to rejoin in the very near future if the doc provides the "o.k."

Look forward to hearing about the upcoming cars....

Jon

I have not ordered the exhaust yet, though I should soon. The only three things I'm missing are the headlight intake, exhaust, and cool suit.

The baby has seriously cut into the car time, but I will be in comp school in July.

• 2 weeks later...

Car is getting the spec exhaust installed this week as my stock muffler is all worn out and busted. Hopefully Mechum dropped it off this morning and the car will be good to go for the weekend

Next stop, Hyperfest 2010, BMWCCA Comp School July 3/4 at VIR North, Dropping the car off at the cage shop for final build!

Hopefully if I 1.) Pass comp school and 2.) NASA lets me transfer it over I'll try to run a couple of races at the end of the season to give it a shot. If no go this season, I'll be on grid February 2011!!

See you guys out there!

• 1 month later...

im very new to this, my brother and i were hpde 3 with a 05 WRX... i am starting to build/buy a car, for spec 3. im sure i will be very noobie like for while...any tips/advice are more than welcome... looking forward to this

I have not ordered the exhaust yet, though I should soon. The only three things I'm missing are the headlight intake, exhaust, and cool suit.

The baby has seriously cut into the car time, but I will be in comp school in July.

Picked up intake and exhaust. Built my own cooling system for <$100 to work with a Cool Shirt shirt. I mixed and matched from a couple DIYs to do so. I haven't touched the car in a week or two, though. I need to lock up the wife and see what I can get done.

im very new to this, my brother and i were hpde 3 with a 05 WRX... i am starting to build/buy a car, for spec 3. im sure i will be very noobie like for while...any tips/advice are more than welcome... looking forward to this

Hey...welcome and good luck. I think the board is going to be a little quiet this week as most of the group is preparing for the big weekend at VIR.

What region are you in? Most in this section are Mid-Atlantic with some in SE, I think. Its sounds like you have a car already...how far along are you? Sedan or Coupe?

I'm in the middle stages of my build, so can't give you specific advice. I update as I have the $$$, so it's going slowly. That said...I'd go through the entire Spec3 forum and read as much as you can. If you have any questions, just revive the thread. I think you'll find this to be a helpful group, as I have.

While the Spec3 class has specific parts requirements, they don't tell you HOW to do it, just TO do it. There is a LOT of info regarding preparing the E36 for racing or hpde at bimmerforums here:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128

I've been instructing MA for several years, and will be in running the BMW in SE and Mid-Atlantic starting very soon (one or two TT events, then comp school). The car is 90%, and that last 10% is buggin the crap out of me.

Good Luck.

Swaybar kit arrived today Shocks/springs/control arms/bushings arriving in a week or two.

Question...if the other parts don't come in before Summit next month...is it worth installing the sways now?

I've always held to the belief that incremental changes are best....install, learn, install, learn.

That said...are these M-Sways even compatible with the current stock sway mount points? I know the links are different, but don't know the location is generally the same.

That said...are these M-Sways even compatible with the current stock sway mount points? I know the links are different, but don't know the location is generally the same.

The mounting point is different for the front - 325 end link attaches to the control arm, and the M3 end link attaches to the strut body.

I don't see why you couldn't check clearances to run them in the 325 location. When you install the struts and control arms, just change out the end links and you don't need to move the bar.

I don't see why you couldn't check clearances to run them in the 325 location. When you install the struts and control arms, just change out the end links and you don't need to move the bar.

That's what I was hoping...I didn't figure the geometry would be too terribly different.

I just got off the phone with Chris at Bimmerparts and my suspension is arriving tomorrow

got the whole package from him put together and bolt on ready, including the control arms and bushings.

Super nice guy

He did mention that his first run of pre-made shock/spring/camber plate combos are starting to dwindle...once the first lot is exhausted he cannot guarantee the same pricing. Apparently the suppliers raised prices just after he bought is batch when the rules were finalized. Basically...if you source separately, you'll be paying too much.

After this, I just need exhaust and full cage...I can't wait for Summit in a few weeks.

So I spent this beautiful day in a garage bolting in my new spec suspension parts. That gosh for friends with a lift.

Had some wins and one fail.

The rear spings, shocks and sway bar when on e-z-p-z.

After a few tries with the front struts (wrong side first, then camber plate in wrong directions...live and learn)

The fail came when we tried to bolt on the front sway. Man, those bushings are enormous. When we tried to bolt in the first side, the stud snapped...ooof.

So how hard is it going to be to replace that stud?..its directly in the frame, with no access to the inside.

On the bright side, I finally figured out why my cross weights were so far off (right rear 175 lbs lighter)

4851212146_0eee3b8d3a.jpg

So, one of these things is not like the others......

Yeah, the guy that installed these when I bought the car forgot a pretty important piece...spring perch anyone?

If anyone has an extra one of these lying around, I'll buy it off you. Need to gets puppies sold, but can't in good conscience in current condition.