making a street legal spec miata

94racing

hi im new on here but i would like to know what all it would take to convert a stock 90 to 93 year miata to a spec miata to be legal for running at mid Ohio sports car course. this car is also to be my daily driver an hour and a half away to college so what all would i have to do to make it legal to run on the track while still having it road legal? i plan to get a hardtop for the car and order the mazda speed spec suspension kit and to get racing brake pads

what roll bar would be legal for the class? any suggestions on any parts for it?

i am on a limited budget but this car will have a good year to be built and i have a garage here with all the tools and equipment i need for any project..

thanks for any advice and if you have a link to youre build it would be greatly appreciated

Visit www.specmiata.com, read the CCR on NASA's main site, read the GCR of SCCA's site. All will be revealed.

The problem with driving a race-legal SM on the street is what happens when an un-helmeted head contacts a steel rollbar. Bad things man.

probably better to compete in Time Trials until you've got the tow vehicle, trailer, etc. Much much lower risk of car-to-car contact that way.

Even then, a backup car to use when the Miata is down will almost be a "must have".

probably better to compete in Time Trials until you've got the tow vehicle, trailer, etc. Much much lower risk of car-to-car contact that way.

Even then, a backup car to use when the Miata is down will almost be a "must have".

im actually heading up with my dad we have a gt500 race car so we have a 2 level trailer with the tools equip and a Polaris ranger as a tow vehicle. i have a truck at home that i use so if the miata would unfortunately meet its end then i have something to drive but i dont believe that i could afford a backup miata if thats what youre saying.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, there is a guy in our area that has his spec miata plated and he drives to/from events (this is with Midwest Council) and my spec miata used to be driven to/from tracks. I have a legal title in my name for my spec miata because of it but I never did plate or insure it.

I think people just take their chances on a fully caged car driving it to/from events is all (or hope the padding is enough help? dunno but I haven't done it and hope I don't ever have to because I'd probably drive with my helmet on and let a cop pull me over because apparently in the state of Illinois, while being optional to wear a helmet on a motorcycle, is illegal to wear one in a car --- go figure!)