Really glad we switched to standing starts for prestige...

nape

Well, my drivetrain officially has 2 standing starts on it and the bill is looking like about $600. I'm really glad we're adding all this extra wear and tear because the gate fee from all the fans is really adding to my winnings for this year...

Used Center section = $100

9" gear = $200

Setup cost = $180

Bearings, etc = $70

Anything else hurt = $$$

Knowing the 100,000 fans get a ton of enjoyment = PRICELESS!...

2c0b0ecec3d0c73b5224eb4458dee87a.jpg

18fae4db6bcd192b20a38a41d1879471.jpg

Damm TJ, you are really hard on the rearend's All funnie's aside, this really sucks bud!

I've been really lucky so far, 1 standing start years ago in TT, and no problem's on my 130t mile axle that hasn't seen a rebuild in 80t and 6yrs of track beatings.Knocking on wood...................

I might look to go somewhere else next year. I really love racing in AI though.

If you need anything TJ, let me know!

EDIT: It was inappropriate for me to judge my NASA officals.

Edited by Guest

RA1s did that?

Wheel hop on acceleration did that. My massive 298 RWHP was enough to crack a 9" center. It was never designed to drag race. I've got no problem pounding out T1 body damage, but this costs money.

John, I love AI too, and I agree. Things were fixed that weren't broken. I'll probably keep towing the line until I run out of money.

T.J.

You could always start from the hot pit rolling, just pretend that you were late for grid. I've seen you come from the tail before. Really though sorry for your added stain on the budget and time. Really makes no sense to me either. I always thought that the rolling starts got the adrenaline flowing quite nicely. No real need to change this when there's other this that need looked at. But hey at least we know what tires to buy, Right... RIGHT? See you on track soon

BFR was wet for our start. How did you do that?

Steve

PS- you may have been able to appeal the start decision to Bryan. There were only two of you guys out there and the other AI car started after all the CMC cars.

T.J.

No real need to change this when there's other this that need looked at. But hey at least we know what tires to buy, Right... RIGHT? See you on track soon

So we should buy the purple ones and go embarass some 'vettes?

BFR was wet for our start. How did you do that?

Steve

PS- you may have been able to appeal the start decision to Bryan. There were only two of you guys out there and the other AI car started after all the CMC cars.

I'll say it again, "wheel hop". Wheel hop on accel or braking acts like a jackhammer on drivetrain parts. I wheel hopped it real bad at Putnam on a wet track too.

My car is setup with -30% antisquat and a small multi disc clutch. It wheel hops no matter how you launch it or what the track conditions are. That's why I have always been against standing starts. Standing starts are understandably fine for CMC cars since they can't change geometry and drivetrain parts, but with the rules in AI being what they are, you can play with geometry almost infinitely and the drivetrain combinations are endless.

Other then a dog box and the ferrous center section rule, the drivetrains for AI and AIX cars can be the same. How come they aren't included in this fun?

As far as the start, I could've lobbied to change, but unless there is a return to only rolling starts for Nationals going forward, I need to learn how to get this car moving. I'm just a huge fan of these rule/procedure changes that shouldn't cost much money that are already digging in my wallet after the second event.

If wheel hop on a track condition like ice hurts your drive train, I'd reconsider before running nationals. Just sayin', sir.

Besides...I thought you liked giving her the jackhammer...Damage always ensues after that!

Wow dude. Sorry to hear about that. That must be massive hop to damage 9" parts. I broke at putnam but that was shortly after a tramp up under braking from being slightly too aggressive and a naturally weak by design coast side of the gearset.

Is the standing start for nats a for sure thing?

T.J.

No real need to change this when there's other this that need looked at. But hey at least we know what tires to buy, Right... RIGHT? See you on track soon

Suits the snot out of me at least the purple one's have an "AMERICAN" sound to their name... But I think they are imports too. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time

T.J.

Suits the snot out of me at least the purple one's have an "AMERICAN" sound to their name... But I think they are imports too. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time

The purple ones are FAST and fun! They even multiply in the garage a heck of a lot faster than those foreign jobs.....

100% made in the good ol' USA

This is meant to be funny....so.... Most of the None U.S. cars in NASA run on American Made tires....while the 'American' cars all run on foreign tires... pretty backwards! LOL!!!

Is the standing start for nats a for sure thing?

Todd told us to prepare for it last year, but only he knows the real answer.

Nah, the purple ones are made right in the next state over from you. Same thing with the Grand Am "Continental tires", just rebadged purple.

The purple ones are FAST and fun! They even multiply in the garage a heck of a lot faster than those foreign jobs.....

Time to find a used set. I finished 4-5 seconds behind the ST1 Viper leader in both tire races on '04 date code Toyos last event. Purples would multiply quickly.

Start running TT. I haven't bought tires in 2 seasons.

Man, it's a hell of a deal! We finally have enough TTD entries to meet the minimum entries to satisfy the contingency requirements this year. My car has an appetite for the purples, so it's working out well!

Mark

Start running TT. I haven't bought tires in 2 seasons.

Gotta pay to play. Wheel to Wheel makes TT feel like a video game.

This likely varies in each region. Down here, unless you're running a Spec Miata, W2W means that you take a flying green start with other cars, then after everybody gets spread out after the first lap, it basically becomes a TT session with everybody making solo laps with the occasional faster/slower car.

Mark

Edited by Guest

Time to find a used set. I finished 4-5 seconds behind the ST1 Viper leader in both tire races on '04 date code Toyos last event. Purples would multiply quickly.

That ST1 class sounds like they need the driver mod!

Our ST1 class is significantly faster than our ST2/ST3 classes here in TX.. The cars and drivers are fairly well prepped and nearly to the extent of the rules. I need to find 30hp or lose 275lbs to be on the numbers for ST2, but I might switch over to the R100's and lose about 80lbs...but I am having to install a cool shirt setup further compounding my problem. Sort of wish someone would buy the mustang so I can go find me a Z06....would make things a lot easier in ST.

Rear axle housing is on the ground and stripped down so I can grind off the old control arm mounts and weld on some new ones to get some antisquat back and not break parts on these standing starts.

Just figured I'd whine again since it's a pain and standing starts are the only thing the car doesn't do well.

Call me TJ.

A 9" rearend that can't handle a wet track wheelhop launch sounds really odd.

How many gears did you grab before it broke?

(No need to answer that, I'm kidding.)

I imagine you have the same wheelhop issue on corner exit in 2nd gear...and have had bad wheelhop before your standing start.

What rear suspension are you running?

(Please do answer that...I'd like to hear more.)

Everyone...we didn't make a wholesale switch over to standing starts.

Rolling starts are still a big part of AI and more than half of the starts in AI are all rolling. Some regions primarily do rolling starts, but are providing the opportunity to practice/setup for a standing start in preparation for Miller Motorsports Park.

For the Championship, we'll have 3 races. Only 1 of those 3 races will need to be a standing start...and we'll decide which one(s) in our driver's meeting(s).

(Makes it pretty important for all racers to be there )

I'm catching up on emails after being out of town most of the June.

This was the first post I saw coming back and disheartening...we hate to see breakage.

(FWIW...another first was that we saw a CMC2 GM rearend spit pieces of ring gear directly out the back thru the diff cover at the Hallett Summer Shootout. That was mid-race, heavy acceleration uphill coming out of "The Bitch"...long after the standing start and unrelated.)

-=- Todd

PM me your # and I'll call.

No wheel hop at all if the car is rolling. I can roast the tires coming out of a 2nd gear corner and no hop and I can dial in enough rear bias to lock the rear wheels and kill the motor, no hop. It wheel hops through 1st and most of 2nd gear from a stop though.

I built the rear suspension, it's 3-link.

TJ,

Missed this until now. Too busy to get on here.

Sorry to hear about the rear. I completely agree with your assessment of standing starts. We build our cars to go fast around corners, not launch off the Christmas tree to stop 10 seconds later.

We're not running near the rear geometry you are but it's still tough to get forward bite without slipping the clutch bad or launching at 1/2 throttle and give up positions.

Since Todd has said we will be doing it once at Nat's, we should probably keep practicing. Just not seeing how this is "value added".

j

This likely varies in each region. Down here, unless you're running a Spec Miata, W2W means that you take a flying green start with other cars, then after everybody gets spread out after the first lap, it basically becomes a TT session with everybody making solo laps with the occasional faster/slower car.

Mark

Mark, I too would like the classes to be larger, but you should race before you say that - it only takes two to make a race and it is not the same as racing the clock.