Really glad we switched to standing starts for prestige...

nape

Mark, I too would like the classes to be larger, but you should race before you say that - it only takes two to make a race and it is not the same as racing the clock.

You and Pat seem to be the only non-SM exception in NASA-FL. All of the other classes get strung out after the first couple of laps, and it becomes a parade.

However, I will say that the most entertaining bit of NASA-FL racing I have seen in quite some time was the AI standing start with you, Pat, and Eric at Homestead a couple of months ago. Three 8.8" Ford rear ends managed to get off the line and into turn 1 without grenading themselves! Apparently, that's a huge deal.

Mark

racing in the ai/aix/cmc group in nasa se is far from a parade. the aix cars are only marginally faster than the best ai cars and the best cmc cars/drivers are mixing with the back of the ai grid. there are usually 12-18 of the group in total.

i have never experienced a parade in a nasa se race before. not in a nasa ma event either.

further, in tt you can bag it after 3 laps when your tires get hot and your fast time is logged. in the race thats when it starts getting interesting. you cant quit when you start getting hot or tired or when your tires or brakes dont like you anymore. you have to finish it.

i have never experienced a parade in a nasa se race before. not in a nasa ma event either.
Unfortunately, the overall car count down here doesn't match the car count in those regions. Our two American Iron regulars are buying/building Spec Miatas, so look for this particular class to be thinned out even more.

further, in tt you can bag it after 3 laps when your tires get hot and your fast time is logged.
True, and I have seen drivers do it, but where's the fun in that? I'm out there to beat on my RA1s or R6s for the full session, every session, all weekend. And typically, my fastest lap times come at the end of each session.

Mark

And typically, my fastest lap times come at the end of each session.

that's not normal

I never said I was good at this whole TT thing.

Mark

october has your event at sebring and a nasa ne event at watkins glen on the same weekend. i am 12 hours from either. i was leaning toward sebring for the weather. no ai cars?

october has your event at sebring and a nasa ne event at watkins glen on the same weekend. i am 12 hours from either. i was leaning toward sebring for the weather. no ai cars?

Check with Bruce Byerly and Pat Wehmeyer to see if they will be running their AI Mustangs or Spec Miatas at the October event. There are 2 other AI Mustangs down here, but one of them only runs a couple of NASA-FL events per season and the other hasn't run with us in a year or so.

Mark

• Members

Rob

We'll have at least 3 AI cars at Sebring in october. We're actively working on more, but it's not easy.

Hope you and some more from SE region come down. You can even bring Pantas.

As for TT, I'd rather sit in the paddock and drink beer.

Pat

Pat

As often as your car breaks, most of your time IS spent in the paddock!

Mark

So, TJ, you've had some time to fondle your rearend. Anything you'd like to share with the rest of the class on why it failed? Bad axle seal? Incorrect ring gear backlash? Loose pinion nut? Empty of gear oil?

Breaking a 9" on a wet track during a standing start just doesn't make sense.

• Members

Pat

As often as your car breaks, most of your time IS spent in the paddock!

Mark

Well if that's the case, I better stick to racing and not switch to TT. I hear that's way harder on the equipment since you guys drive 10/10th's all the time while we racers and only push hard for a lap or two!

So, TJ, you've had some time to fondle your rearend. Anything you'd like to share with the rest of the class on why it failed? Bad axle seal? Incorrect ring gear backlash? Loose pinion nut? Empty of gear oil?

No, he probably doesn't want to share

yes

no

no

no, but very low due to the axle seal

I believe it failed due to the wheel hop. I did have a bad axle seal at the same time. Ring gear backlash was correct. The pinion nut was tight. It was low on gear oil at the end of the race due to the bad axle seal, but I don't think that's the cause of the broken housing.

Here's the only video I could find showing how bad the wheel hop feels:

That's basically what my car did on standing starts. Wheel hop through 1st and 2nd, even if you tried to pedal it, etc. People can't understand breaking a 9", but most of them have never experienced wheel hop that bad. I did some welding on it while I had the rear end out and hopefully changing the geometry will fix the wheel hop and not hurt the handling too bad, so I at least have a standing start setup.

Check out the vid...I've heard TJ giggle just like that......

It's not pretty.

Giggle or Jiggle?

...And...It's on the trailer already Beeeeeeeeeeee--oooooooooooooooooooootch

...And...It's on the trailer already Beeeeeeeeeeee--oooooooooooooooooooootch

Bring it big boy...cheater gears ain't gonna help none.

CMC smack on the AI thread...what the hell??!!

Bring it big boy...cheater gears ain't gonna help none.

CMC smack on the AI thread...what the hell??!!

You guys just wander around aimlessly on-track, why not on the internet too? For that, you get the single finger wave when I lap ya.

I'd "smack" you back, but I've seen the ass end of the Superchicken multiple times per race more that once. At least now I'll know the "salute" is for something other than me being in the way.....