Cobra4B

Picked up a "new" Z06 for TTA/PTA... build thread.

Cobra4B

Picked up a "new" Z06 today in North Augusta, SC. Going to build a fully dedicated track car around TTA, then cage it this winter so it car run PTA. The car will be able to run TTS and ST2 as well, but TTS/ST2 are more and more becoming spending contests (less restrictions/rules) so I decided to build around the TTA rules which don't allow you much modding when using a C5Z06. The Panoz is my father's car which we have been sharing for 2.5 years. Prior to the Panoz we both had Z06s.

Scoured Craigslist and the web in general for awhile before stumbling on this car.... It's in really amazing condition for the miles. You can tell someone took care of the car and it lived in a garge, but just got driven.... not a garage queen. The car was traded to a large dealer, but with 119k on the odometer it went straight to auction. I used to be an insurance adjuster and after a thorough review the car appears to have all original pant and signs of collision damage/repairs. Car is in very good shape and better than expected mechanically.

Some pics.... car was at Bucks Wheels & Deals Guys were a bit country, but really good people. Spending the night at my parents place in NC then heading back to Va Beach tomorrow.

DSC_0376.jpg

DSC_0371.jpg

DSC_0377.jpg

DSC_0382.jpg

DSC_0386.jpg

DSC_0387.jpg

DSC_0384.jpg

DSC_0385.jpg

DSC_0388.jpg

DSC_0390.jpg

DSC_0391.jpg

-Brian

Vinny

looks like you should've just kept the beat up coupe you had for a while.

Cobra4B

No way... I got this car for $14.5k... Paid $11k for that coupe... would have cost more than the difference to fix the front end, get it up to Z06 power, and fix the leaking trans/diff. This car needs zero work.

drivinhardz06

SpecC5Z is growing fast

Vinny

car you sold had a bar in it already, coilovers, and nice sway bars correct? If you run wheel to wheel, the car is going to get tore up anyway.

Cobra4B

Car had a DRM chasis bar which was a 4-point rollbar. The main hoop was way too low and you couldn't see out the back of the car. Plus the main hoop was attahed to the rear bulkhead which is thin sheet metal and a bad place to use on a real cage. On a proper cage the main hoop comes down in front of the bulkhead and attaches to the frame rails.

The car did have DRM coilovers and T1 bars, but since I'm prepping this Z06 for TTA I'm going to run '04 Z06 shocks stock springs and T1 bars.

Cobra4B
8)

SpecC5Z is growing fast

It's your fault... when I get beat by a darned near stock C5Z it catches my attention! What's your VIR TTA record again? 2:06.x?

sperkins

Nice find Brian.

You should come play with the crazy SE crowd sometime soon.

Cobra4B

I plan on it... I want to run RA again, but it's an 8.5 hour drive from my house and probably more like 9.5 hours towing. I'd need to take Friday and Monday off from work. When running VIR I can just leave at 2pm on Fridays and work extra in the two week leading up to an event.

My goal is to have the car ready to go for the July NASA event.... I'm driving the Panoz in the UTCC on Friday then have the Z06 signed up for TTA for the weekend.

drivinhardz06
It's your fault... when I get beat by a darned near stock C5Z it catches my attention! What's your VIR TTA record again? 2:06.x?

I just signed up for July TTA at VIR

I did a 2.07.1 in Oct. Last year, my car was pretty much stock other than T1 bars, 02 exhaust, and airbox. Needed more car and driver to beat jason. lol. This year it's ~125 lbs lighter down close to min weight, and taking advantage of the free mods. So far, it's about ~2 secs/lap faster on the same tracks than last year. My car has had 900 different alignments and ride heights on it, but it's 99% where I want it now.

There really is a lot of in the free mods.

Cobra4B

Did you finally take all the interior etc. out? I spend last night removing stuff and should finish it up tonight.

drivinhardz06
Did you finally take all the interior etc. out? I spend last night removing stuff and should finish it up tonight.

I pulled most of the carpets but they will soon be going back in as I'm already at min weight and my clutch and some other weight loss items I'm going to need to add some back

I've still got a 20-25 lb hitch on the back to

Cobra4B

Started working on it a little last night removing some stuff under the hood, but put a good 4+ hours in tonight... got all of the interior out and wiring tidied up other than removing the glove box.

Battery surround removed, eventually all the AC and AIR pump stuff will be gone

DSCF4026.jpg

Washer fluid reservoir and lines/pump all removed. I removed the hood liner and underhood light, but didn't take any pics.

DSCF4027.jpg

Interior gutted

DSCF4029.jpg

DSCF4030.jpg

DSCF4031.jpg

DSCF4033.jpg

DSCF4032.jpg

DSCF4034.jpg

Lots of parts... going to sell it all

DSCF4035.jpg

DSCF4036.jpg

Cobra4B

Pulled the dash and center console structure and took out much of the HVAC system that I don't need. Prepping to pull the HVAC unit and remove the evaporator and heater core then put it back in to retain the defroster for early morning sessions when the glass wants to fog up. Also pulled the airbags, have to get a special wheel puller to get the wheel off.

DSCF4040.jpg

DSCF4041.jpg

Started on the motor pulling the coilpacks, deleting the AIR system, and got the intake off.... it's rather dirty, but I guess that's what nearly 10 years and 120k does to a motor.

DSCF4037.jpg

DSCF4038.jpg

DSCF4042.jpg

DSCF4043.jpg

Looks like one of the end tanks has a leak... time for a new radiator... the current radiator is very clogged with grass/debris and looks like it's never been cleaned. Since C5s are bottom breather it's a good idea to clean the radiator every couple of years.

DSCF4039.jpg

Cobra4B

Cleaned up the engine, then removed the front bumper and deleted the horn and unneeded wiires, then yanked out the rest of the AIR pump assembly. Finished off by yanking the radiator, coolant tank, and fans.

DSCF4044.jpg

DSCF4047.jpg

DSCF4051.jpg

DSCF4049.jpg

Air pump assembly... in case anyone's wondering it injects air into the exhaust manifold at startup to allow the cats to fire off more quickly for cold start emissions. Worth about 15 lbs.

DSCF4050.jpg

EBCM (Electric Brake Contrl Module) out and ready to be repaired... dealer wants $1200 for one of these.... but a guy online will fix them for $150... part of how I got the car so cheap... sellers thought they were looking at another $1500 or so to dump into the car.

DSCF4052.jpg

Running out of space...

DSCF4045.jpg

DSCF4046.jpg

Some parts came in today... Sparco 353 wheel from OGRacing and 2 17x9.5 forged OEM Z06 wheels.

DSCF4054.jpg

DSCF4053.jpg

Oh... I need to get teh AC crap out of the car but I need to evac the system.. does anyone do this? Any mobil HVAC people or is there a kit I can buy at a general auto parts store?

gcassidy

As one who has been resisting going to the dark side most of my life, I still must say that's a great find and an envious build you're doing.

Glad I'm in TTB. The most common 2-seaters I need to worry about are S2000s. LOL

brkntrxn

Greeeaaat. Looks like I will continue racing for 3rd place in TTA.

Good find!!!

-Kevin

Cobra4B

Virginia Mobil Air Conditioning is going to meet me at my house today at lunch and evac the system for free... he said it was because I was actually trying to be environmentally conscious vs. just unhooking it. I'm sure it has a little to do with the fact that R134a is expensive and they can recycle/sell it, but nontheless I'm pretty stoked about that. I was expecting some sort of serice call fee.

sperkins

I've still got a 20-25 lb hitch on the back to

Rear ballast. I have one on order.

Cobra4B

Goodbye AC... horray for way more room...

DSCF4055.jpg

DSCF4056.jpg

DSCF4059.jpg

DSCF4058.jpg

DSCF4060.jpg

brkntrxn

What are your plans with that exhaust manifold? Headers are +2 pts right?

-Kevin

Cobra4B

I just took it out to get the AC out.... here's my planned setup around 275 A6s.

Z06 - 7pts

275 A6s - 9pts

ATI superdamper - 1pt

T1 swaybars - 2pts

Total = 19pts

Running a K&N panel filter in the stock airbox w/ a lid off a 2003 and have the h-pipe off the same 2003 w/ 2 cats vs. 4.

Cobra4B

Mini update... waiting on my parts order from GM Parts House to come in tomorrow before I can do much else, plus I've been finishing house painting this week due to family coming in town for vacation tomorrow.

Stock cast manifolds w/ heat shields

DSCF4063.jpg

DSCF4062.jpg

Much better.... wire wheeled a little and sprayed with silver 2000 degree paint.

DSCF4061.jpg

Parts pile is growing

DSCF4064.jpg

drivinhardz06
Parts pile is growing

DSCF4064.jpg

you ain't married yet are you

Cobra4B

Nope... no kids either.