Underpanel

Scany

I'm trying to find the OEM part# for the underpanel on my car without any luck. I find the "porkchops", which I have, but not the panel that's suppose to go between them. Any thoughts?

While looking i found a panel from Bimmerworld that deletes the "porkchops" and makes all that into one panel:

http://store.bimmerworld.com/ssi-stealth-underpanel---e36-3-series-p900.aspx

Expensive but simpler. However you loose the deflector in front of each wheel. And I don't know if it's even Spec3 legal (because I haven't checked the rulebook).

If anyone knows the OEM underpanel part# for a 325is I would be happy to know it

• Members
I'm trying to find the OEM part# for the underpanel on my car without any luck. I find the "porkchops", which I have, but not the panel that's suppose to go between them. Any thoughts?

While looking i found a panel from Bimmerworld that deletes the "porkchops" and makes all that into one panel:

http://store.bimmerworld.com/ssi-stealth-underpanel---e36-3-series-p900.aspx

Expensive but simpler. However you loose the deflector in front of each wheel. And I don't know if it's even Spec3 legal (because I haven't checked the rulebook).

If anyone knows the OEM underpanel part# for a 325is I would be happy to know it

Give these guys a call. They have a TON of used parts from vehicles they purchase. I'd give it an 85% chance they will know exactly what you are talking about and will have one for a far better price than local sources.

http://www.theeurodepot.com/

I ordered one - will update when it arrives Monday.

I was looking to build a duct for the radiator, saw that there is a factory piece, and ordered it. It looks like there is a more complex (and more expensive) M-Technic piece, but simple and inexpensive works for me.

• Members

Fixed:

It looks like there is a more complex (and more expensive) M-Technic piece, but simple, inexpensive, AND LEGAL works for me.

I ordered one - will update when it arrives Monday.

I was looking to build a duct for the radiator, saw that there is a factory piece, and ordered it. It looks like there is a more complex (and more expensive) M-Technic piece, but simple and inexpensive works for me.

I'm ordering the rad duct too since there is a big bump in the field coming back onto track after mowing the outside of T5 at Summit The underpanel however was non existing before that.

Fixed:

It looks like there is a more complex (and more expensive) M-Technic piece, but simple, inexpensive, AND LEGAL works for me.

I read the rules that I could use whatever ducting I wanted - am I interpreting this incorrectly?

9.3.5.1.6. Ducting solely for the purpose of directing air through the radiator is permitted.

Fixed:

I read the rules that I could use whatever ducting I wanted - am I interpreting this incorrectly?

9.3.5.1.6. Ducting solely for the purpose of directing air through the radiator is permitted.

I believe you are correct. The same goes for brakeducting I learned at Hyperfest.

But regards another thig I noticed looking through the various parts: what are the difference on the parts when it comes to no AC and with AC. I removed all the AC parts, so I guess I should be able to run the parts that says no AC. But how are they different?

• Members
Fixed:

Just have to make sure that any unique or non-325i ducting does not equate to an advantageous undertray which would help with airflow under the front of the car. (this is all I was referencing).

Gotcha. I wasn't going for anything more than "Force air into the radiator".

Since there is no duct or tray currently on the car, it looks like a LOT of cooling air would go under the radiator rather than through it.

received the undertray - it tucks into the front valence and ends right at the bottom of the face face of the radiator. Will need to find the stock side pieces to seal the area heading in front of the wheel wells - I think I removed them a long time ago when I replaced the engine. Will take pix when I assemble it - it fits well.

• 2 weeks later...

I pulled the stock radiator duct side pieces from the pile o parts. Unfortunately they were in pieces. Ordered fresh ones, as the online boys seem to think they work.

Peter, where did you order all the radiator duct pieces from?

I have nothing on my car and the vertical pieces are barely hanging on broken in several places. I need to get all of the plastic parts.

You might be able to find them cheaper somewhere else, but I went thru ecstuning.com. If you give me a week, I'll make sure they fit on a 93 car (I know the bottom piece does) and I think the only difference is the cutouts for a/c components (which isn't there anymore).

Part Numbers: note these are 9/93 and later pieces.

Air duct, left 51718156247

Air duct, right 51718156248

Air duct, bottom 51718156259

• Members

Mani,

I doubt you will be able to beat the prices at bimmerparts.com and they are also a series sponsor.

Give Chris a call there, tell him you are a Spec 3 racer (so he'll give you the best price) and order away.

I promise you, Chris will not be undersold.

Jon

Jon stop interjecting logic and reason, I was happy in my own little world, darn it. I have to remember that there are sponsors and people that care.

• Members
Jon stop interjecting logic and reason, I was happy in my own little world, darn it. I have to remember that there are sponsors and people that care.

Racing will never be affordable nor cheap, BUT I will always work to make it as cost-effective as possible.

Fitted the sides to the radiator ductwork this evening - these things are tighter than OJ's glove when he forgets to take his arthritis medicine! They really do seal up the space - I taped over the stock air intake hole, too.

I would suggest pulling the bumper, or taking some time to finess them into place. I think I cracked one of them (duct tape fixed it).

I'll see if I can take pictures, but the wifey has been demanding some time with the offspring.