Goodyear Racing interested in new sizes

GoodyearRacing

Goodyear Racing in 2010 begin a contingency for some of the classes with an interst in possibly looking at posting for all classes soon. In doing so we are asking for sizes that racers are running to see if we have current tires available or if development is needed. Please respond with tires sizes, compounds, specs, or anything that is needed to see if we have what you the racer are looking for. Answers can be posted on this thread or also can sent to my email address: [email protected]. We are very interested and look forward to working with you in the future.

Thanks in advance,

Jason Swift

Carroll Shelby Enterprises

Goodyear Racing Western Distributor

[email protected]

702-430-5160

I run 315/18 & 335/18s

You would need to provide something faster than a Hoosier with a better contingency or something just as fast with a much better contingency before I see any of the ST guys changing, all the top cars if not all the cars run Hoosiers.

Me myself I ran Hankooks back in 2007 and won a TTA National Championship in dominate fashion and even that didn't convince people to change to Hankook. Now Hankook doesn't make adult size tires so it's no longer an option for me and to try a Goodyear at $1400 (or so) a set I'm not willing to risk investing in a slower tire. I set 7 track records & won 2 National Championships on Hoosiers in 2010, if you are asking what is it going to take to get people to switch to GY I don't know that answer, a start would be getting someone out there that can tear it up with GYs mounted.

Supporting TT would help because it's a good place to really see what a tire is capable of

Question? Who is running them in NASA and what are the results? I'm not sure I've seen one person.

Just my 2 cents

You would need to provide something faster than a Hoosier with a better contingency or something just as fast with a much better contingency before I see any of the ST guys changing, all the top cars if not all the cars run Hoosiers.

what he said... in SCCA T1... you only run hoosiers.. partially because its one of the only options..

id be willing to try something with the same contingency though.

ps.. its sad, but contingency is a HUGE part of which tire i will run..

Question? Who is running them in NASA and what are the results? I'm not sure I've seen one person.

The Porsche Racing Club (PRC) runs with NASA Nor Cal. Their fastest group runs Goodyear slicks and they are very fast with them. I'll send their Pres a note and ask for comparisons and if anyone uses their R compounds. Here's his car w/ Goodyears...

28761752.gif

Hi Jason. I sent you an email. And i agree with these guys. There are 2 issues that matter to us. A fast tire, and contingency. That is why pretty much everyone runs Hoosiers. Their tire is fast, and they provide a contingency. We would love for Goodyear to get in the mix. So if you guys can provide us a fast/competitive tire and couple it with a great contingency, that will by the key.

As for whos running Goodyears, i know of 1 guy who races against us in Socal in ST2 who runs non-DOT Goodyear slicks. And hes on 16" wheels. We need some good sizes for the non-DOT slicks also in 18" wheels that works within our rules. Looking forward to seeing what you can come up with.

Edited by Guest

thought the new goodyears were DOTs?

Thanks Ryan, i clarified my post. We need some good sizes for the non-DOT and DOTs in the 18" wheels.

The Nor Cal PRC guys apparently run Goodyear's biased-ply slicks for cost purposes. No one runs the R compounds unfortunately....

I'd run 265-275 17 or 18. I know quite a few people have 17's as practice or the other way round, so offering the same ranges in both rim sizes would help quite a bit.

Just my 2 cents

I have been running them this year and have been very happy with them. Unfortunately, I do not have any back to back data to compare them to the Hoosier. I made so many changes to my car in the off season that any data that I have from the Hoosiers is useless.

In my opinion they are very close to the Hoosiers and I think there is a good chance that they would be faster on a single lap and over the course of a race. The Hoosiers in my experience don't recover very well from being abused. If I overheated my Hoosiers that was pretty much it and there wasn't much hope of them really coming back to me. When I have abused and overheated the Goodyears I have been able to pull it back a notch for ~ 1 lap and they come back quite nicely.

Ultimately, someone is going to have to try them back to back to have a definite answer on which tire will turn the faster lap. I will keep running them because they are easier to manage through the whole race.

Ultimately, someone is going to have to try them back to back to have a definite answer on which tire will turn the faster lap. I will keep running them because they are easier to manage through the whole race.

I have two stacks of R6's sitting in my garage....and easy access to track time. Send me two sets of 275/40/17 Goodyears and I will provide the 100 octane and G2X data to back it up.

Competition is good! Goodyear DOTs were the dominate tire choice for SCCA Touring car classes in the 90s until their withdrawal from competition. Goodyear is what helped make Hoosier as good as they are today.

Bring all competition tire manufacturers to the dance floor and lets race. Stop with the spec tire BS and let the tire competition begin. We had great races a decade ago with a choice in competition tires.

Goodyear needs to bring a competitive tire, competitive pricing and a similar contingency. They usually have an excellent product and don't need to be over the top with their offerings to get drivers to use their tires.

I have been running Hoosiers for several season and am Thankful they were the first to step up to the plate and work with NASA to develop a great program for our drivers.

I run 275/40/17's and 315/30/18's on my car. First off, I would have to see them run 6 to 8 hours with consistent lap times. Second, I would have to tool up for them. I am interested in the Goodyears but You would have to put a quantity package for people to buy in. For me tooling up to GYs means I would have to buy 4 sets to start. I always have 20 mounted tires at any given time. Right now I am running Kuhmo DOT's and can get 8 hours out of them at TH. generally posting top 3 quick times. So, for me to go to GYs retail is about 6400. and can't do it.

thanks,

richard Migliori

www.PDG4.com

I run 275/40/17's and 315/30/18's on my car. First off, I would have to see them run 6 to 8 hours with consistent lap times. Second, I would have to tool up for them. I am interested in the Goodyears but You would have to put a quantity package for people to buy in. For me tooling up to GYs means I would have to buy 4 sets to start. I always have 20 mounted tires at any given time. Right now I am running Kuhmo DOT's and can get 8 hours out of them at TH. generally posting top 3 quick times. So, for me to go to GYs retail is about 6400. and can't do it.

thanks,

richard Migliori

http://www.PDG4.com

Huh?!

What I see here is that Hoosier has a Dot tire in my size that is $5 cheaper than the R6's I'm currently running. The problem is there is no quantifiable data to support performance gains...and the economy being what it is, we as racers can't really pony up money to do the full on test between the two tires. If someone who is known to be at the top of their game could get a couple sets of tires to do back to back testing with quantifiable data and advertise "hey, these are Grrrreeeattt!!! Then people would start buying them, and GY could start making a business case for a contigency. They do have one already though!

I'd LOVE to do a test on a set...hint hint!

thanks,

richard Migliori

http://www.PDG4.com

Huh?!

What I see here is that Hoosier has a Dot tire in my size that is $5 cheaper than the R6's I'm currently running. The problem is there is no quantifiable data to support performance gains...and the economy being what it is, we as racers can't really pony up money to do the full on test between the two tires. If someone who is known to be at the top of their game could get a couple sets of tires to do back to back testing with quantifiable data and advertise "hey, these are Grrrreeeattt!!! Then people would start buying them, and GY could start making a business case for a contigency. They do have one already though!

I'd LOVE to do a test on a set...hint hint!

Matt, You said someone at the top of their game.

Matt, You said someone at the top of their game.

You should have seen some of the lap times I turned in this weekend while I was gettin' some cheatin' practice! Car was HOOKED up!

You should have seen some of the lap times I turned in this weekend while I was gettin' some cheatin' practice! Car was HOOKED up!

Spill your guts then.

Spill your guts then.

Well, you won't be getting your butt kicked this weekend due to not enough HPDE students (I think there are only like 4 or 5) and several instructors got scratched...

Let's just say I ran down, passed and walked the radical this weekend! Eric was a little confused and amazed and honestly, so was I. There were quite a few corner workers and other folks that were a little in awe as well. Suffice to say my ego got stroked a little! Been carrying my chest pretty high for a couple days and wondering if I should pull the trigger on Horsepower or those sexxy R100's!!!

either way, I might be out playing Friday afternoon for the open track day and could go rough house then, but I'll likely be drinking beer and working on the Neon for goofs and giggles.

Just my .02.I ran these tires in the 25 hour at T-HILL.We ran a Miata with 205/50r15 Goodyear RS DOT tires on it.We did only 12 hours because the owner does not like night time racing.We went 12 hours on the left side and 6 hours on the right side.We could have done 12 to 16 hours on the right side but we had 6 tires and we wanted to keep tire wear even with 6 tires that we had.We think we could have ran 16 to 18 hours on the left side.As many of you know T-HILL is mostly lefts so the right side tires take all the abuse.I was in the #69 miata and we did our fastest lap with 1 hour left on the clock.See my laps/Dr william brown Tony Heyer and Brandon Kraus.On the west coast in SCCA ITE the first 4 cars that finished the last race,they were all on Goodyears new RS DOT TIRE.I think there were 14 cars that started the race.All i can say is that there a very consistent on the long run.I have peolpe running them with 3400lbs cars and they are getting 12 to 15 cycles on them.Jim Black has run 4 weekends on them and they still have some left on them.I did the tire test last year with Goodyear so if you have any questions call me at 510-582-5031,my name is Brandon Kraus w/Roger Kraus Racing.