Battery relocation installation

tstkl

I've been looking into doing a battery relocation on my car and wanted to make sure I comply with all the regulations of all the sanctioning bodies I could potencially race in. I mostly plan on racing in NASA (performance touring class most likely) and was wondering where I could fine the safety rules and regulations. I'll also be installing a cage later down the line, so if theres a pdf I can save/refer to that would be extremely nice. Based on the nhra rules I was planning on getting a battery box and trying to mount it on the under side of my car somewhere on the passenger side of the rear differencial, however I wanted to make sure this would comply before going ahead with this plan. Since I am doing all the wiring for a motor swap currently I want to do it all at once. Thanks for your time

Brian

• National Staff

Most questions regarding safety issues can be found in the NASA CCR:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf

18.8 Battery

The battery shall be securely fastened down to the car. No Bungee cords or rubber

cords may be used to function as the sole hold down mechanism. An electrically nonconductive

material must cover the positive battery terminal. Any battery located inside

the driver’s compartment shall be fully covered and firmly secured to the chassis in a

marine type battery case. True dry cell batteries may be mounted without a surrounding

case, however a case is still recommended. Note- there is a difference between “dry

cells” and “gel cells.” Gel cells still need to be mounted in a case.

18.9 Exposed Wires

There should be no exposed wires inside the driver’s compartment such as to interfere

with the safe operation of the vehicle. No live (hot) wires may be exposed anywhere in

the vehicle.

so if i kept the battery on the underside of my car, i wouldn't have to buy a box, just a cover for the + terminal... interesting. i was planning on going dry cell anyways, so thats good.

• 1 year later...

So finally getting around to doing this and I wanted to know about a master cut off switch. I've seen both inside and outside. Whats the best idea in terms of safety/legal? I plan on mounting a dry cell behind the passenger seat (nice and low and centered) and wanted to get some ideas of where my master cut off should go. One car I saw had it zip tied to the cage near the window, so an offical could reach in and shut it off. I guess I'm basically asking what works best?

15.8 Master Switch

An electrical master switch is recommended on all cars, and required on some, as listed in the class rules. It shall be mounted so that it is easily accessible from the outside. If mounted outside the cockpit, it should be mounted in an area where it is least likely to be damage (e.g. cowling near wipers). The switch shall shut off the motor and cut all power except to the on-board fire system and any other life support / medical device. The switch location must be clearly marked. Any marked switch must function as per this rule, or the indication decal must be removed.

it says it shall be mounted where its easily accessable, but its not required? I don't like the idea of mounting it on the outside because in the event of a roll over it could get damaged or something.

This is what I'm using:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ODY-PC680/

and for the no exposed wires, does electrical tape + wire loom count as them not being exposed, or do they mean something that will completely cover them so you can't tell there are wires there?

Whats the best idea in terms of safety/legal?

and for the no exposed wires, does electrical tape + wire loom count as them not being exposed, or do they mean something that will completely cover them so you can't tell there are wires there?

There are lots of opinions on the cut off switch as you see it mounted all over the place. Consider mounting it where both you and a worker can easily reach it if necessary. For me, that's right inside the driver window near the dash area.

You are reading too much into the exposed wire rule, it's not written very well. It just says don't have a bunch of loose wires in the driver area that may get tangled in the pedals, your feet, steering wheel, etc. You can do that in the engine compartment if you want, but not near the driver. Zip tie them together, use harness wrap, whatever.

I put the master switch near the passenger window so someone could easily reach inside from that side. I already have an off switch near the driver, the key.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the cutoff switch inside where the driver can reach it. Run a cable form the switch outlet so a safety worker can get it easily as well. This gets you the best of both world, plus if you forget to turn it on you don't have to get out of the car.