new AMB/Mylaps iPhone/iTouch app (developed by a NASA racer)

getfast

FYI everyone, there is now a Mylaps app for iPhone & iPod Touch: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mylaps-buddy/id382009223?mt=8

The reason I mention it... is because it was developed by a NASA Mid-Atlantic Spec E30 racer and tested by a variety of NASA-MA people including myself. This past weekend at VIR it was very handy for checking results that were just posted without having to walk down to the control building to get a printed sheet in 100+ degree heat!

Very cool,

Jon

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I got one of the first ones last year. Great app. I wish it also included the date of the event and allowed for more past history..

I got one of the first ones last year. Great app. I wish it also included the date of the event and allowed for more past history..

Thanks Doug!

We are working on a new flow which will allow more profile result history. I'll check again about showing the date.

Rob

• 1 month later...

Is there a way to show the resulting top lap times for a qualifying or TT session regardless of class? This would be great for finding out grid positions for the next session.

That might work for a race group where it's a single qualifying session.

For TT groups it'll need to do the "merge" for you since it is everyone's best time across any session. If it can do that I'll buy the app for sure, it'll save me alot of time running back and forth to T&S and registration to have someone do the merges for me, print it, post it, etc.

Is there a way to show the resulting top lap times for a qualifying or TT session regardless of class? This would be great for finding out grid positions for the next session.

The app handles posted merged results. I'm not sure if this is entirely what you're looking for.

Also, the general results are always sorted by class and if more people want the feature for sorting by class/ or by overall we will implement that feature in a later release.

mzl.pkhjseon.320x480-75.jpg

That might work for a race group where it's a single qualifying session.

For TT groups it'll need to do the "merge" for you since it is everyone's best time across any session. If it can do that I'll buy the app for sure, it'll save me alot of time running back and forth to T&S and registration to have someone do the merges for me, print it, post it, etc.

I can see how this would be useful, but it piggy backs off of what is posted. It would have to do heuristics would could be considered buggy and I would prefer to not do something that wouldn't work 100% accurately.

So if it will read posted merges that would still cut out some of the steps but it sounds like I'll still have to get T&S/Reg to do the merges on their computer for me...?

The merges I'd do aren't super complicated - I'd love to go down the list of sessions and check off what I wanted to merge and work from that. I've done them by hand on paper in the past but I can understand how it'd be tough if you don't have that great an access to the data.

So if it will read posted merges that would still cut out some of the steps but it sounds like I'll still have to get T&S/Reg to do the merges on their computer for me...?

The merges I'd do aren't super complicated - I'd love to go down the list of sessions and check off what I wanted to merge and work from that. I've done them by hand on paper in the past but I can understand how it'd be tough if you don't have that great an access to the data.

Ken, my company has great access to the mylaps data, but this feature is leaning towards being a custom solution for one person. If other people are thinking your request is a good one, we might consider doing it.

Thanks!

OK so being new to the TT scene, does NASA do real-time posting of the merged results on mylaps? I downloaded this app as an impulse buy and tried to navigate to some of the previous 2011 events to try it out. If there was a merged (all TT classes) lap time post on mylaps for each of the TT sessions I did not see it. The data I found was listed by class.

Something simple as an overall lap time sorted display would do it. This would be pretty fantastic actually since the last time I instructed and ran TT I had a hard time getting to timing and scoring to see the grid postings (overall results from the last session) in time for the next session.

Edited by Guest

"merged" is when you take a couple sessions (like say, all TT sessions from Sat), merge them together, and list everyone by their best time from any of those sessions.

extremely simple ex:

I run a 2:00 in session 1, a 2:01 in Session 2, and 2:05 in session 3.

You run a 2:05 in session 1, a 2:00 in Session 2, and a 1:59 in session 3.

Bob runs a 2:04 in session 1, a 1:58 in session 2, and doesn't run session 3.

If we merge these 3 sessions the results would look like this:

Bob - 1:58

You - 1:59

Me - 2:00

OK sorry I am using the wrong term 'merged'. What I really mean is an overall lap time sort for a given TT session. That is essentially a list of the grid spots for the next TT session.

OK sorry I am using the wrong term 'merged'. What I really mean is an overall lap time sort for a given TT session. That is essentially a list of the grid spots for the next TT session.

I call those raw session results, you can definitely see those on the Race Monitor app. And I believe the Mylaps Buddy app as well, once the results have been posted to Mylaps (viewed as overall like http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=2031420&perclass=0 not viewed as sorted by class like http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=2031420&perclass=1 )

Although not all regions use the prior session to line up the next session, i.e. in Mid-Atlantic our 4th session of the day is gridded by a manual merge of everyone's fastest lap so far that day (not including the warmup.)

And your grid people should always have updated paper lists beforehand to guide you to your spot.

And your grid people should always have updated paper lists beforehand to guide you to your spot.

some regions are trying to get away from that - trying to shift responsibility for being in the right spot to the drivers so grid has the time to check hood pins, helmet straps, other misc safety gear, etc.

Now as to which really is better, well, that's a topic for a campfire and a beer or three.

Understood, but someone on grid should always have access to the info. For, let's say, a TT'ing instructor who has been dealing with students for the last 2 hours and didn't have time to find results on paper or on the interwebs.

I call those raw session results, you can definitely see those on the Race Monitor app. And I believe the Mylaps Buddy app as well, once the results have been posted to Mylaps (viewed as overall like http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=2031420&perclass=0 not viewed as sorted by class like http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=2031420&perclass=1 )

I stand corrected, I can't see the first link above on the app in question for the session in question, only the second link - i.e. sorted by class. Rob?

I could see the equivalent of the first link, however, with the Race Monitor app, until the next session of live timing has started. In fact I have done screen-captures on the phone to have that info handy for reference until the Mylaps version is posted.