road racing transmission options for mod motor??

Mystic_Cobra

I lost my tranny this past weekend at VIR and I'm researching replacements. Any recommendations for a tranny behind a 4.6 DOHC? I've pretty much ruled out another T45 since there's still no RR 5th gear available and I'm looking at TKOs and T56s. Any advice?

Jimmy...stand by for an announcement in the coming days. I've been working with Ford Racing on such a solution for American Iron and expect it to be finalized this week.

-=- Todd

I lost my tranny this past weekend at VIR and I'm researching replacements. Any recommendations for a tranny behind a 4.6 DOHC? I've pretty much ruled out another T45 since there's still no RR 5th gear available and I'm looking at TKOs and T56s. Any advice?

I would say a t56 from a 03/04 cobra.

t56 is a little heavier than the tko, but it appears to be quite a bit more reliable.

now, if todd is working with ford racing to make the t56r more available, then that is pretty obviously what you would want.

ive got two.

Jimmy,

A guy local to me has a really low miles tko600 4/sale for 1,500 with a 302 bellhousing. I was going to buy it but it's to much work for a s197 car with the shifter and hydraulic clutch .

it also has a street 5 th gear not the road race upgrade.

Steve Poe

but it appears to be quite a bit more reliable.

Based on what info/data?

Ed

i know several people on and off the race track with tko transmissions that are trouble from the day they were installed....you included IIRC.

i had a t56 in my R and have several friends on and off the track with the t56 none of which was ever an issue.

maybe my sample is too small. but based on what i know i would go t56 everytime

but it appears to be quite a bit more reliable.

Based on what info/data?

Ed

I'm happy to have this debate here as I've heard that the T56 isn't as reliable as the TKO. Please, counselor, present your arguments here.

• Members

I've never had a problem with mine - just leaks a little.

I was looking for more facts then just "opinions" or "from what I've seen" as I would consider running one if the data was there to prove it was actually more reliable. For the price though, I'll stick with my TKO600.

I would say a t56 from a 03/04 cobra.

:/ end thread.

I have the T56 in my car out of an 03 cobra. Been in there for 6 years and only changed the oil once. Dead reliable, no issues and perfect gearing for our application. Split bell is nice for long tube installs on Mods as well.

Install consists of buying the 03/04 crossmember from Dallas Mustang for $54 and a specific 03 cobra aluminum driveshaft...buy an MGW shifter and you are good to go. Uses same 10 spline clutch you already have and the same release lever and cable as you have now. If you shop smart you can get one for cheap.

I have less than $1000 in my swap and that includes the MGW shifter, selling my t45 and buying this take out from a wrecked car. Only issue is the reverse lockout solenoid but that is an easy fix if you are even half way savvy at working on cars. I just left it in and manhandle it into reverse.

As far as TKO's go....all I ever hear is they shift like OTR truck trannies.

Also, beware of that 6060R...they use different 26 spline clutch setups and might even be hydraulic TOB's like the S197's have....means big PITA to put in an SN95/99 car.

• Members

Good info. It would be nice to hear from someone who has run them both or who really knows transmissions and get a good comparison between the two... Inquiring minds want to know!!!!

Ed

As far as TKO's go....all I ever hear is they shift like OTR truck trannies.

Odd, the one I had in my ol' Fox drag car was smoother than the T5 I took out. The whole "doesn't break when you look at it wrong" thing was just a bonus

While not racing, I ran my 99 Cobra in track days and Time Trials for several years with a ProMotion built T45. It had no issues living behind multiple engine combinations ranging from 350-550rwhp.

I am sure ProMo could put a different 5th gearset in it. Is that option open to you or are your required to run a factory built tranny?

-Kevin

While not racing, I ran my 99 Cobra in track days and Time Trials for several years with a ProMotion built T45. It had no issues living behind multiple engine combinations ranging from 350-550rwhp.

I am sure ProMo could put a different 5th gearset in it. Is that option open to you or are your required to run a factory built tranny?

-Kevin

Thanks for the feedback, Kevin. We are allowed to make some mods to transmissions but some are restricted as well. This is the 4th T45 I've been through in 5 years of racing. The first one did have 145,000 miles on it from the street. The last one was upgraded (rebuilt by Keisler) and lasted about 2 years.

If I could get one that would last longer than two years, cost less than a T56 and weigh less than a T56, I'd consider it.

Who is ProMo?

We broke our T5 last year and dropped in a TKO600. No problems at all with it and I'd do it again. For the power we make in AI, it is perfect.

Just bought a new TKO600 with RR 5th. I have a great working T45 for sale and what's left of a G force T5 Cheap!

First race will be Atlanta in a couple weeks. I am the destroyer of all things mechanical, so we shall see . .

Mystic_Cobra,

What kind of problems are you having with your T45 transmissions? I currently have one in my track car and haven't had any problems yet.

Chris

The first one had 145K mi on it when I started racing. It lasted almost a year and then it got hard to get into gear and would occasionally slip out while driving. The second one was a nearly new (take off) and lasted about two years before similar issues. I most recently tried a Keisler rebuild with upgraded internal (don't remember all the details) and it lasted almost two years. It started getting hard to go into 4th (grinding on the way in). I continued to run it and started to shift more gently hoping it would last the rest of the season. I lost 3rd and 4th during the last race weekend. It feels like those gears aren't even there anymore.

The gear ratios are not ideal for road racing. I can't use 5th. It would be nice to have something that would last longer than 2 years, have a removable bellhousing, and have a RR 5th (~.80).

Now that you describe that, I can remember my T45 starting to act like that on occassion. If I went to second for some reason, it would sometimes be difficult to shift to 3rd at 7k rpms. And on the rare occassion, I have had it pop out of gear.

Wish I had remembered that before, I wouldn't have posted up my recommendation.... And you are correct, not having a removable bell housing is a downside of a T45.

-Kevin

I built a CMC2 car last year with a 4.6 with long tubes and used a Quicktime bell housing that allowed a T5 to be bolted up. Benefits were it's lighter, has less parasitic loss and could be upgraded to an A5 with all the good road racing parts from tony over at Astro. Another benefit was you use the same shifter you have now, same clutch and release lever/cable, and if you blew one up, you could source a tranny from a fellow racer's spares bin or the local junkyard for $200.... I think it even allows the Tremec's to be bolted up as well.

split bell, lighter, available and reliable as long as the driver isn't abusive. It's also about the cheapest upgrade you are going to get short of just throwing another mediocre T45 in there.

I'd be cautions about using a T5. They do have all the advantages listed above. Biggest problem is the highest torque rating from Ford, for a stock T5, was 300 lb/ft (flywheel). If you're running in AI, I'll bet you're over that. Our T5 lasted 2 seasons before we sheared the teeth off the input shaft. It would suck to do all the work of putting in a T5 just to have it be your weakest link.

TKO600's can handle the power but are pricey. If that's not in the cards, look for a decent T56.

j