So, what do you guys do for temporary numbers?

BobOfTheFuture

Hey, all.

Just wondering what you guys did for temporary numbers, but at HPDE speeds.

I've got a Magnetic meatball, but I dont trust it at those speeds.

In my last HPDE, I used blue tape... but I would rather not again.

Well, I have used masking and painters tape, vinyl numbers stickers, as well as numbers I have cut out of contact paper purchased at the hardware store.

Vinyl numbers look the best, come off easy, but cost the most.

The contact paper numbers look nearly as good, but take a little bit of time/effort to cut out. Not too pricey, as you can get a whole roll of contact paper for just a few dollars, which will provide you with several weekends worth of numbers. Similar to this stuff (except not 'chalkboard' style, whatever that means), except I got it for dirt cheap at an ACE hardware. Comes in a variety of colors, including patterns, if you want to get fancy... http://www.amazon.com/Kittrich-Chalkboard-Contact-Paper-18/dp/B000KKMO90

For now I have just been using the tape as it is so easy and cheap. I'll agree though, it isn't the best looking...

I bought a set of (my) numbers from Solotime several years ago, the reusable sticky back ones instead of the vinyl. They are terrific. No problem with speeds and they last darn near forever.

I bought a set of (my) numbers from Solotime several years ago, the reusable sticky back ones instead of the vinyl. They are terrific. No problem with speeds and they last darn near forever.

Yep, solotime for the numbers. If you have a steel bodied car they have magnetic as well.

On my corvette I have to use the reusable sticky back. They hold up well at speed.

I have always used magnetic number panels, I had a set from autox that I used for a while, but I had to keep taping over my numbers from them being a popular number, so I ordered a large number panel from trackdecal.com, for both sides, it has our car club name, my photography company name, and great big numbers, that are easy to read for the corner workers. That last part is key, having worked corners, the cars using painters tape, are harder to read, the tape comes off, is just not a good solution. If you are going to go to the track often, it is worth the small investment in a good set of number panels. they are re-usable, easy to care for, and easy to put on, take off. I do put a thin strip of black tape down the leading edge, to make sure they don't come off at high speed, and have had no trouble.

This is my current number panel:

StartFinishR.jpg_700.jpg

theres an echo in here....

the most important tip was buried at the very end of your novel

I do concur though - unless its a really beefy magnetic material with the edge properly beveled and you've taken extremely good care of both surfaces - its coming off. Even then that's not enough sometimes.

Static cling vinyl. Speed tested (by me) to 125mph. I"ve had them on and off probably a dozen times. It does take some time to get them nice and smooth, but they work well.

BUT, the moment it starts to rain, the will come right off.

IMG_0959.jpg

the falling off in the rain part would be a problem, especially here in the SE...every track weekend seems to have a threat of rain.

There is a shop in Atlanta were we can get magnetic 24" round dials with 1 to 3 numbers, two colors (outline + main color) for $51 a pair.

White meatball with rounded edge block letters. They didnt have the font I wanted so I ordered a sheet and I am going to make the numbers myself.

I'll show a pic when they get all done

Looks good, What is shelf paper?

Now that I think about it, it may not actually be called shelf paper. It's on a roll and made to cover your appliances to make them look like stainless steel, but they have different colors. Costs about 8 bucks a roll. I bought 2 rolls 3 years ago and still have plenty left over. I used to take them off after every event, stick them to a mirror and put them back on the car for the next event. Trace the numbers/letters with a stencil or just print out some on your computer and cut them out with an exacto knife, scissors or a good razor blade. I've never had one even think about coming off - even at 140mph lap after lap. It's good stuff.

Looks good, What is shelf paper?

Now that I think about it, it may not actually be called shelf paper. It's on a roll and made to cover your appliances to make them look like stainless steel, but they have different colors. Costs about 8 bucks a roll. I bought 2 rolls 3 years ago and still have plenty left over. I used to take them off after every event, stick them to a mirror and put them back on the car for the next event. Trace the numbers/letters with a stencil or just print out some on your computer and cut them out with an exacto knife, scissors or a good razor blade. I've never had one even think about coming off - even at 140mph lap after lap. It's good stuff.

Yeah - that's the 'contact paper' stuff I mentioned in the 2nd post! At least ACE hardware calls it contact paper. It does work quite well.

says the man with a $30k race car and 70 sets of R comps and wheels

I slipped and accidentally mentioned to the wife how much the Pfadt bushing kit cost. She wasn't too happy.

She never asked about the shock bushings, T1 bar bushings, camber blocks, XP12's and so on........

• 4 weeks later...

I've found that the sheet of steel that replaced my sunroof made a great place to store my HPDE magnents on my way to and from the track.

Don't even need tape on the leading edge if you put them on the inside.

• 4 weeks later...