Necessary experience?

sykikCHIMP

NASA TT is an extension of the HPDE program, so it is best if TT'ers are familiar with how HPDE works for your particular region. Since most regions run TT with HPDE 4, be prepared for a fast pace!

If you haven't already, it is best to work your way up through the HPDE program.

-Jim

• Members

Rules dtate that driver must be of HPDE 4 level ability. Basically, you should be able to drive the car near it's max without problem.

From the nasa virginia website:

Drivers must be experienced. (HPDE2solo, HPDE3, HPDE4, Instructor, Road Race license) .

Can you clarify?

HPDE4 would imply that only instructors can participate.

HPDE4 would imply that only instructors can participate.

In SoCal region HPDE4 isn't limited to instructors, so there's not that implication. Not sure how those relate in your region. Check out the official rules on the NASA site http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/2003_tt.pdf for more information.

It says TT should run with HPDE4 or in their own group. Obviously you can't run TT for your first time out on the track. It looks like VA region allows most experienced drivers in TT.

As always, check with your regional director for specifics to your region.

I'll jump in here - this is the best new thing to do with my car that I have seen for a very long time. Great idea and a natural extension of the HPDE program.

I have surmised that there are guidelines in the CCR and you likely would need to get the OK from your regional director if you wanted to run one of these and you weren't already in one of the approved run groups.

so this time trial thing would be similar to SCCA's solo 1, correct? sounds exciting!

Time Trial is for modified street cars (although race cars are allowed) and drivers with HPDE experience. It is not quite like SOLO 1 because you are not required to have a roll bar or cage.

-Jim

• 5 months later...

I've never done a NASA HPDE event, but I've done several with other organizations here in NorCal. I've had some kart racing experience, and maybe that's why I advanced to the fastest group every time, including my first time at each track.

I feel comfortable jumping out in group 4, and since it costs the same amount to enter TT, why not?

Is there any reason that I might not be allowed to do TT at my first NASA event?

It is not quite like SOLO 1 because you are not required to have a roll bar or cage.

...and the other cars in the run group are all out there at the same time. Finish order is determined by the best time of the day in each class via transponder. Great fun. I did one last month.

• 4 weeks later...

So is this run like "Viper Days" events?

Are the people entered in ... Time Trial given transponders, and their times are recorded for each session that they are on the track? Are the times "posted" after each event.... and... are the fastest timed cars put into a running order for the 2nd... third...and 4th runs???

My experience with Viper Days at VIR was like that... and we had a great time seeing who would be at the head of the group for each session! The fastest times of the day for each class determined the overall winner, 2nd & 3rd place!

I was at CMP... instructing with Y'all in September... and I don't recall anything like the "Viper Days" system being used! Yes we did have two or three "others"... besides instructors... running in group 4 but no timing as I recall!

With your new Southeast Chapter just starting, I really would like to know your format! I had a Great time working for your NASA Virginia group at CMP... the event was very well run, with Safety always the number 1 priority!!!

• 1 month later...

I was trying to gain some more info about these "TT" s but I am pretty much getting confused.

this post states that you need experience in HPDEs to participate, yet the NASA SE site says

Competitors are responsible for the classing of their own cars. Cars will need to pass tech prior to being allowed on the course. Drivers must NOT be experienced. (Solo, HPDE1, HPDE2, HPDE3, HPDE4, Instructor, Road Race license)

...must not be experienced.

So I have been autoxing 3 years with SCCA and I plan to attend a few ProSolos in 2004, as well as some HPDEs and driving schools, and Solo I.

Can I do these "TT" ??

would this be something good/fun for me to do??

guess I can go to some of the links in this post and see if I can find out more info.

• 2 weeks later...
I was trying to gain some more info about these "TT" s but I am pretty much getting confused.

this post states that you need experience in HPDEs to participate, yet the NASA SE site says

Competitors are responsible for the classing of their own cars. Cars will need to pass tech prior to being allowed on the course. Drivers must NOT be experienced. (Solo, HPDE1, HPDE2, HPDE3, HPDE4, Instructor, Road Race license)

...must not be experienced.

So I have been autoxing 3 years with SCCA and I plan to attend a few ProSolos in 2004, as well as some HPDEs and driving schools, and Solo I.

Can I do these "TT" ??

would this be something good/fun for me to do??

guess I can go to some of the links in this post and see if I can find out more info.

If you have never done a track event before I would highly suggest signing up for HPDE 1 because your new, and even though auto X can help the driving on the track is very different in my expirence.

I know they do this in the Mid-west not sure of the other regions but you actually get a log book and the instructors grade you on how well you do and what you need to improve on, that way you can gauge when to move up.

-FYI=In HPDE 1 & 2 you have to get a point by and in HPDE 3&4 you actually share the track.

• 3 months later...

This is a differnce in Regions. In Nocal, while point bys are encouraged, they are not required. Just the same, it is really important that new drivers get in the habit of haveing good situational awarness, i.e., know whats going on around you. A point by lets the passing driver know that he is seen and is expected to pass. The passing driver should also be very cautious as group 1 & 2 drivers may not hold the proper line. Don't assume anything!

In Norcal HPDE we feel that point by's show respect for the other driver, the group and safety. A bit like a team sport. we are all out there for the same thing and we all want to take our cars home to run another day.