Cobra4B

Do you balance your race tires?

Cobra4B

Just curious.... I always have, but lately I've been reading where people don't bother b/c the tire will move on the wheel anyway. I always thought that was why you wouldn't bother road force balancing them, but wouldn't you still want to do a basic static balance?

kbrew8991

I do, but now I'm curious to see if I'm wasting money or not....

Cobra4B

The place I use by my work mounts/balances they for $13.xx each so I doubt I'd save much w/o balancing. The tire guy races dirt track and when I took my last set to him he actually said, "Don't balance these right?" I asked him to go ahead and do it and they did need a good bit of weight on 2 of them.

trhoads

I balance mine. That removes one more variable when out on track...for me anyway. I have never had a balancing weight come off either. But my car doesn't have enough power to move the tire on the wheel, but I have seen that happen.

kbrew8991

you are likely to pull more many more g's under braking than you are accelerating with a track car

Sterling Doc

I've bought a few used tires recently, which brings a dilemma in balancing - all the rubber "boogers" change the balance quite a bit, and they're a PIA to get off.

So the last time, I just had the rims balanced (20 year old OEM rims). This seemed to work OK. Vibrations I had went away once I scrubbed the tires in.

trhoads
you are likely to pull more many more g's under braking than you are accelerating with a track car

in my little 1.3L car....you ain't kiddin'!

kbrew8991

supposedly the tire boogers don't throw it off as much as you think - they tend to be spread close enough to evenly to be "noise"

smokinjoe

I've blown enough CV axles to where the inside of my rims are coated with a light film of that nasty CV grease. The byproduct is no tire marbles on the inside of the rims. I dont recommend this method!

I do get my tires balanced.

Cobra4B
I've bought a few used tires recently, which brings a dilemma in balancing - all the rubber "boogers" change the balance quite a bit, and they're a PIA to get off.

So the last time, I just had the rims balanced (20 year old OEM rims). This seemed to work OK. Vibrations I had went away once I scrubbed the tires in.

Interesting idea when buying used tires.... as I most often do. Might try that next time.

beerkat

I have mine balanced on my car. I do not balance the ones on my trailer. But I have about having them done. My reasoning is that it might make the trailer wheel bearings last longer. Should have less vibration. I could be totally wrong too. I know that we replace car tires often so maybe it would not matter to the bearings on a car.

ninetyfourintegra

I had terrible shaking under high speed braking (like a warped rotor or a flat spot), took the wheels/tires to the trackside dealer and had them balanced. Shaking went away. I have been balancing ever since.

I didn't balance my trailer tires and had vibration, when I had the tires replaced I had them balanced and so far no vibrations.

Varkwso

I balance them. You can get severe vibrations if you do not at high speeds....

brkntrxn

On the subject of tires moving on the rim, I marked my Hoosier As when I had them mounted and balanced several months ago. The results were very surprising after a couple of sessions of Time Trials (about 6 hot laps total). The fronts moved about 1/4 rim under braking, while the rears moved about 1/2 rim under acceleration. This is on my 03 Z06 with cold pressures in the 23-26lb range, stock power and stock calipers with XP12/XP10 pads.

The next event I rotated them to the opposite sides (LF->RF, LR->RR, etc) and they moved back in the direction they started but nowhere near as much as the first movement. IE, they did not go back to where they were originally balanced.

From my experience, I think some of it is track surface and configuration specific. The first movements were at CMP with hard braking and hard acceleration areas and rough surface while the second experiment was at Charlotte which does not have the same hard braking nor the hard acceleration areas and a much kinder/smoother surface (somewhat, it changes from roval to infield).

-Kevin

drivinhardz06

no balancing but I know a guy that sleeps with his

drivinhardz06

I marked some sticker A6's last Dec at RA. in 3 TT laps, they rotated 20 degrees

brkntrxn

I also think it depends on the person and their driving style. I marked a buddy's R6s on his Z06 (identical to mine) and his tires move much less than mine (the same place mounted and balanced his tires as mine). This was done on the same day and same track as my first experiment.

-Kevin

dans2k

are you serious people don't balance race tires? on hoosiers at Roebling I lost a wheel weight and I felt like my teeth where going to fall out going into Turn 1!

you might get away with it for auto-x

Lemming

If they do it for free yes, if they charge no. I've never noticed a difference.

trhoads

now I am curious about the tire moving under braking on the wheel, I am going to mark all of mine at VIR this month, and see if they move at all.

timz06

I have read lots of different opinions and always balanced them but;

-The tires move on the rim

-The weights fall off

I just had a new set of hoosiers mounted and not balanced. I'll report back after this weekend.

Ed M.

I have been really focusing on this particualr subject for the last several months because I have been chasing a high-speed vibration in my race car. I have my own tire mounting and balancing equipment so I do all of my own mounting and balancing in-house. Here are several of my real-world situations and findings:

1st, my trailer incident. Bought a new trailer 5 years ago. Soon after buying it, I noticed a slight vibration when pulling at around 65-70 MPH. Thought it was possibly the shocks on the truck I was leasing at the time and just lived with it. Figured it would go away when I turned in the truck and leased/bought my next one. Well, I bought my next truck (which I drive currently) and the vibration was still there when pulling. Also around this time is when I purchased my tire equipment. As a test, the first thing I did was balance my trailer tires (remember, if you buy a new trailer, they DO NOT balance the tires/wheels). All the tires were off slightly, nothing out of the ordinary, but one was significantly off and required more weight than the others. The vibration went completely away and it's been smooth as silk since.

Race car. As I mentioned, I've been fighting a high speed (130+ MPH) vibration that seemed would be worse at some tracks than others. Kept thinking it was in the transmission, drive shaft, etc. Recently, I started thinking it might be that my balancer was off so I balanced a full set of tires and took them to a friends garage and had him put them on his balance machine to check for accuracy. They were perfect, so that took the possibility of equipment malfunction out of the equation. Then I begin marking/checking my tire placement on the rim. THAT WAS IT! As some have mentioned, I started seeing that my tires were moving A LOT on my rims. AT VIR recently, on one of my rims (RR), the tire moved about 6-8 inches. So what's been happening is when I would mount/balance a new set of tires, I wouldn't check the balance again unless I de-mounted/mounted again. As I went through events, the tires would continue to move causing the out-of-balance condition to worsen. Therefore, the lessons I've learned are, 1) YES you need to balance your tires before EVERY event regardless if you are mounting/de-mounting tires (if you are experiencing vibration problems). 2) I'm planning on replacing that one wheel where there was so much movement compared to the other three. 3) It's nice having my own tire equipment...

Hope this helps,

Ed

PS - Remember, these are observations I have encountered with my race car (1989 AI Mustang) using Toyo RA1's. I can't say that these types of occurances will happen with other situations (HPDE, lighter cars, heavier cars, different wheel sizes, tires, etc, etc...)

Vettedoctor

Just balance the rim on it's own. Then have the tires mounted. Since the tires are moving alround anyway at least the prt you can control (the rim) will be in balance all the time. That or start putting screwing your tires to the rim like drag racers do.

Cobra4B

Or just get you some of these here new race wheels

DCP_0227.JPG

Hoosier's new beadlock race tire...

22beadlock.jpg

sperkins
I marked some sticker A6's last Dec at RA. in 3 TT laps, they rotated 20 degrees

500rwhp will do that.