Is this the BEST we can do??!!!!!

jmeris

why you gotta bust balls Jimmy?

This coming from the guy who wouldn't show up to Norcal events because he had to save money, building his car for Nats...

Also, I think you overestimate people's willingness to spend money to be backmarkers. Many who participate in HC here in norcal(as you know) do it on a very recreational basis. The value-add for them is to have good racing with as little investment and hassle as possible.

You can't argue that it costs more, you have increase risk of damage due to racing with people you don't know(not to mention the red mist of nats), and it is a much bigger time investment.

There is a tipping point where the work and $ outweigh the fun.

Then there is me personally. With the amount of $ I have right now for racing, nats is a huge risk for very little gain. I can't afford to take it seriously right now, even if I wanted to. Why would I go and spend that money to fill the field?

I look forward to HPD's involvement growing the series, and when I have a budget to compete, you can bet I will be there.

In the meantime, you need to get your butt out to more local races. It is a burr in my side that the unintentional effect of the nats is that our formerly strong regional championship races have been significantly weakened. If I have a dollar for everytime I heard someone say "I am saving for nats" or " I am skipping this race for nats" or "I just need to get my races in for nats", then I could probably afford to GO to nats!

I have a budget, with going and racing at nats being my goal for this year. So I do what is necessary to meet that goal, which includes missing some regional races. My priority is to go to nats.

Why? Because it is an awesome event, really fun and cool. I get to go race against a bunch of other guys i don't normally race against, at a track i don't normally run, in a pretty fun format.

Your post is exactly as i describe why NorCal doesn't have a larger group of guys going, It isn't a priority to them.

It seems as though you take that as a dig, it isn't it is just a fact.

Like a regional championship isn't a priority to me this year...

And look back over the history, when is the last time NorCal ever had at minimum 6+ cars at every event this year? I've been around since 03 and never remember stronger numbers then we have had this year.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmeris

• slammed_93_hatch

• B.KRAUS

• hagakure

why you gotta bust balls Jimmy?

This coming from the guy who wouldn't show up to Norcal events because he had to save money, building his car for Nats...

Also, I think you overestimate people's willingness to spend money to be backmarkers. Many who participate in HC here in norcal(as you know) do it on a very recreational basis. The value-add for them is to have good racing with as little investment and hassle as possible.

You can't argue that it costs more, you have increase risk of damage due to racing with people you don't know(not to mention the red mist of nats), and it is a much bigger time investment.

There is a tipping point where the work and $ outweigh the fun.

Then there is me personally. With the amount of $ I have right now for racing, nats is a huge risk for very little gain. I can't afford to take it seriously right now, even if I wanted to. Why would I go and spend that money to fill the field?

I look forward to HPD's involvement growing the series, and when I have a budget to compete, you can bet I will be there.

In the meantime, you need to get your butt out to more local races. It is a burr in my side that the unintentional effect of the nats is that our formerly strong regional championship races have been significantly weakened. If I have a dollar for everytime I heard someone say "I am saving for nats" or " I am skipping this race for nats" or "I just need to get my races in for nats", then I could probably afford to GO to nats!

Chris has just stated exactly what I experienced for all of 2006-2009 with the MWHC...we had a very strong Regional Championship race in '05, and with the announcement of the Nats I thought it would just bring that many more cars out, which it did for a bit, but mainly it was for people testing for Nats, and then to boot all of the regulars who typically would run the entire season schedule were only showing up for our three (3) Mid Ohio regional races and saying that they were just interested in getting in there 5 races to qualify for Nats and that was it.

It really is amazing how this thing that we do moves in cycles, as does everything else in this world. The MWHC is finally starting to have some life pumped back into it, and I have heard of several cars being built to come play in H2 next year, but I'd be willing to bet that most if not all of them will be at the Mid Ohio regional races, go to Nats, and that will be there racing season for the year.

Just my humble $.02.

Regards,

Sam

I'm hoping we have another H1 car out there that's going to sign up, rumor has it that one of the registered H1 cars is pulling out dropping the class to 9.

Well, it started off real strong...and then it kind of fell flat on it's face. Registration for nationals has a TOTAL of 27 racers. 10 for H1 and 17 for H2 (with a H2 entrant considering withdrawing )

What happened?!

HPD is gracious enough to sponsor our series (thanks HPD!!! ), something we as racers have been waiting for. AND they're also paying out $500 just for going to nationals!!!

I thought, as well as other HC racers that there would be an overall bigger field. Thanks to the few EC guys for making the trip...anymore of you guys coming out?

It was farther for us west coasters to go to Mid-Ohio than it is for the EC guys to go to Utah.

Walter M. Take that H2 title back with your Prelude in Utah!

Sam M. Don't let me be the only 4-door Civic out there!

Does Richard Hunter still race? would you be fast in Utah like you are at your home east coast tracks?

How 'bout the so cal boys? anymore of you guys joining the party? I only know a handful of you guys, but the racers that show up at the regional events aren't all going to Utah.

Justin, cmon man!! now is the time to show us what you have, get that newly transformed H2 whip to Miller Motorsports Park!!

Where's the current H2 champ? I know you're a busy guy, but are you just going to hand over your title without a fight

Andy, don't you dare withdraw!! Bring that Gold rex to Tooele!

How bout the nor cal folks?

Mike Lock would've won the H2 national championship...but he sold his car!!! So who bought it, and are YOU going to win a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP in your first outing as a new owner?

Chris Lock...unlike Mike...you HAVE a car. Show the other B20 powered DA how it's done!

Bob G.!!!! Load your K20a3 powered H2 DC 2 in your trailer and represent the K powered H2 cars at Miller.

Dave W...I know you're selling all of your stuff...but why not go out with a bang for your last hurrah?!!

Fred...You just bought it, but you could be the lone Del Sol!! Potential for lots of TV time

Funny how people get excited for the upcoming nationals in October...then when the following summer comes around, it's almost a ghost town.

Anyone else I'm forgetting?

See you there-

jmeris

I bought Mike's car and am looking forward to racing it next year in NASA Enduros and Some SCCA ITE races and Enduros....The car will never see HC. That race group is too large...plowing through 80 cars does not excite me at the frenetic pace of a 25 minute race.....

hagakure,

80 cars sounds off, so I went back to look at the last couple of races, which lead me to look at the whole season. I've listed the whole season below, race by race with the total cars in the race group that we were in. NorCal has larger groups at Sears Point, mostly because it's Sears Point, and because of the PRC/Formula/CMC/AI visiting the track for the same weekend. The only cars that I've had "issues" with are the Legends(starts behind us) and USTCC(seperate start, typically in front of us).

However when I compare it to the SCCA groups(outside of SM), where you rarely have more then 30 cars in the same run group, even at Sears Point...I can see what you're talking about.

56 - Infineon June 26(2 race groups)

56 - Infineon June 27(2 race groups)

27 - Thunderhill May 22

23 - Thunderhill May 23

31 - Thunderhill April 24

25 - Thudnerhill April 25

40 - Infineon March 20

29 - Infineon March 21

65 - Infineon Feb 27 Group A (PT, ST, SU, HC, 944, GTS) & C (LEGENDS/TR)

50 - Infineon Feb 28

Austin,

Thanks for posting this. I had heard differently, and that does change my motivation a bit as regards running some HC races next year.

Percy

Well, it started off real strong...and then it kind of fell flat on it's face. Registration for nationals has a TOTAL of 27 racers. 10 for H1 and 17 for H2 (with a H2 entrant considering withdrawing )

What happened?!

HPD is gracious enough to sponsor our series (thanks HPD!!! ), something we as racers have been waiting for. AND they're also paying out $500 just for going to nationals!!!

I thought, as well as other HC racers that there would be an overall bigger field. Thanks to the few EC guys for making the trip...anymore of you guys coming out?

It was farther for us west coasters to go to Mid-Ohio than it is for the EC guys to go to Utah.

Walter M. Take that H2 title back with your Prelude in Utah!

Sam M. Don't let me be the only 4-door Civic out there!

Does Richard Hunter still race? would you be fast in Utah like you are at your home east coast tracks?

How 'bout the so cal boys? anymore of you guys joining the party? I only know a handful of you guys, but the racers that show up at the regional events aren't all going to Utah.

Justin, cmon man!! now is the time to show us what you have, get that newly transformed H2 whip to Miller Motorsports Park!!

Where's the current H2 champ? I know you're a busy guy, but are you just going to hand over your title without a fight

Andy, don't you dare withdraw!! Bring that Gold rex to Tooele!

How bout the nor cal folks?

Mike Lock would've won the H2 national championship...but he sold his car!!! So who bought it, and are YOU going to win a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP in your first outing as a new owner?

Chris Lock...unlike Mike...you HAVE a car. Show the other B20 powered DA how it's done!

Bob G.!!!! Load your K20a3 powered H2 DC 2 in your trailer and represent the K powered H2 cars at Miller.

Dave W...I know you're selling all of your stuff...but why not go out with a bang for your last hurrah?!!

Fred...You just bought it, but you could be the lone Del Sol!! Potential for lots of TV time

Funny how people get excited for the upcoming nationals in October...then when the following summer comes around, it's almost a ghost town.

Anyone else I'm forgetting?

See you there-

jmeris

I bought Mike's car and am looking forward to racing it next year in NASA Enduros and Some SCCA ITE races and Enduros....The car will never see HC. That race group is too large...plowing through 80 cars does not excite me at the frenetic pace of a 25 minute race.....

that would be a sin not to race the car in HC.. it's one of the most dominating cars ever in h2 and is a proven winner. its not all car tho, M Lock is well known for being able to flog a fwd around the track pretty fast.. somtimes even one handed!

I would not presume to think I can drive the car as fast as Mike can, certainly not out of the box, but I'm not slow, so I think the car could remain competitive. On the face of things I am more interested in endurance racing, and I think the car culd do well in E1, so we'll see.I do feel fortunate to have bought the car.

However,I really like to race and I may be able to hitch a ride up with Benny to save a few $ and Jeremy takes my car up, i just need a cozy bunk to crash in,food,and some tires, so I'm close to commiting.

-J dub

Any word on your entry...or there lack of? Sleep in a trailer and use the tracks bathrooms/showers (clean!). Most of us did last year at Miller.

jimmy's making me feel guilty . I'm waiting to see how next weekend goes before I decided for sure. What are we at $599, for registration fees?

Do you need to race next weekend? Or are you testing to see if your car will be competitive? Maybe you could use the money you would spend on next weekend and apply it to nationals? And do the test day that weds before if you need to still sort out the car??

I'm hoping we have another H1 car out there that's going to sign up, rumor has it that one of the registered H1 cars is pulling out dropping the class to 9.

Who's dropping out of H1?

I bought Mike's car....The car will never see HC. That race group is too large...plowing through 80 cars does not excite me at the frenetic pace of a 25 minute race.....

That's too bad that car may not see another HC race. It has potential (as already proven) to DOMINATE in H2. Enjoy enduros, TT or whatever else you plan on racing that car in.

Jason Smith is backing out due to not having enough starts to qualify.

pretty sure a few guys last year raced without having the required number of starts..

pretty sure a few guys last year raced without having the required number of starts..

Depending on the number of starts you can petition NASA to allow you to run. I think they are pretty lenient, especially if you have run an event or two this year and have run with them in the past. It's worth a shot to ask.

If you let 1 person race that did not run 5 or more races,ill be so pissed off.I busted my but trying to make the 5 races so i was able to run the National race.If there that lenient,ive been with NASA since 1994.2 regional champion wins and track records.If they do let people run that havent ran 5 races i will protest because of this.This would allow me and others just show up at Nationals.If that is the case,ill just run Nationals.How would NOR-CAL guys and gals think about that?Car counts would be so bad at regional leveals.Please do not let this happen..My .02$....

brandon you can't protest them... it's in the sups...

I think it was put in there to help some guys out who try and make the qualifications and can't..

You can't fault nasa for having some leniency...

And not everyone ONLY races regional so that they can race nationals. Most of the guys in NorCal care more about regional then nats... I do as much as my budget allows because there is no replacement for seat time.

Sorry guys but we've got too much going on in our lives this year, bought a house, got engaged, got new job, getting married. Trust me, Stephanie wants to bring the pink and white hatch out and now that we're running a new motor that stands a chance want's to even more. It's a two day tow for us from NJ.

PS, Steph says if someone wants to sponsor we can make it work.

Z

If you let 1 person race that did not run 5 or more races,ill be so pissed off.I busted my but trying to make the 5 races so i was able to run the National race.If there that lenient,ive been with NASA since 1994.2 regional champion wins and track records.If they do let people run that havent ran 5 races i will protest because of this.This would allow me and others just show up at Nationals.If that is the case,ill just run Nationals.How would NOR-CAL guys and gals think about that?Car counts would be so bad at regional leveals.Please do not let this happen..My .02$....

Not that I'm condoning the Nationals entry "leinency loop hole" or not but in the situation H1 is in right now (not likely that there's someone else out there thats going to register)... as a qualified H1 registrant I'd rather see NASA use the loop hole and keep us at or above 10 than let it drop below. Just my $.02.

Relax there little guy. This is club racing........the more the merrier. I have spoken to Dave, he says I am not eligible for prize money. But am allowed to "fun run." So if I get my new car ready, (being that my current car was sold to a client in Sacramento this week) I WILL BE THERE!!

Besides, I'm with Mr. Chilcott. I have more fun running the local MPRA races than the 1 NASA event that comes to town.

Relax there little guy. This is club racing........the more the merrier. I have spoken to Dave, he says I am not eligible for prize money. But am allowed to "fun run." So if I get my new car ready, (being that my current car was sold to a client in Sacramento this week) I WILL BE THERE!!

Besides, I'm with Mr. Chilcott. I have more fun running the local MPRA races than the 1 NASA event that comes to town.

Yeah, "little guy..." Now you get to run against someone who hasn't been running, and thinks they can just show up run nats against people who have played by the written rules all year to compete to be national champ. Now you have an even more likely possibility to be wrecked in T1 by someone who thinks they call in a favor and run. Nats has taken a huge toll on our regional competition, at least have it consist of serious competitors, and I'm not out on a limb by saying that someone who has to, "finish their car for nats" is not that serious. Also, this "club race" has a bigger purse then many pro events.

Man, I'm such an ass, I don't even own a car. Maybe I can build one and have it ready for nats.

Hello Folks,

I also do not agree with allowing people to run nationals without having the proper amount of starts. Every one of us has had to have 5 starts per the rules to go to nationals. I busted my hump 3 years ago to be able to go. I'm getting a little tired of the rule allowances. It's right in the rules that you need 5. I've only been out once this year so far. Want to let my rusty *ss out on the track with all you fighting for the idea of money? It's just wrong and can lead to really bad things.

It's just like the R888 BS that's been going on. So because of my car issues this year, I can't finish up my usable R888's and have to waste the money because the rules committee decided on only 1/2 year of usage. Why not make an "Allowance" for the entire year?

Making allowances starts you down the path of destruction which we all have been complaining about this year. More things become an allowance instead of a rule.

Even with the sponsorship, if this kind of thing continues, I too will look to race elsewhere. I do not like what I am seeing. My focus is on nats next year but won't bother if the rules keep being as flexible as the reeds blowing in the wind.

Yeah, "little guy..." Now you get to run against someone who hasn't been running, and thinks they can just show up run nats against people who have played by the written rules all year to compete to be national champ. Now you have an even more likely possibility to be wrecked in T1 by someone who thinks they call in a favor and run. Nats has taken a huge toll on our regional competition, at least have it consist of serious competitors, and I'm not out on a limb by saying that someone who has to, "finish their car for nats" is not that serious. Also, this "club race" has a bigger purse then many pro events.

Man, I'm such an ass, I don't even own a car. Maybe I can build one and have it ready for nats.

Mike, I can see where you're coming from. I'm not sure about letting people do fun runs for a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP RACE. Does that mean since Jason (dtcevo) will be in the H1 field, that they will have 10 cars, which make the H1 field eligible for the 10 racer minimum for the cash payouts? Or since he is running for "fun" does that mean the H1 field is really to be considered at 9 for the cash (i.e. Toyo) or there lack of, payout?

If they're going to let cars do "fun runs", the rest of the nor cal guys (and the rest of the regions around the country) should come to Utah and help inflate the H2 field. We would have the biggest National Championship Honda Challenge field in history...but then that would mean, less than half of the field are eligible for the cash payouts AND to be the National Champ?

I've raced at every nats event since its inception. I can only think of ONE example where they let a person race at the event because he (or she) didn't satisfy the 5 race requirement. And the reason for allowing this person to race was for the sole purpose of direct media/magazine coverage for the event.

and yes mike you are an ass...should've sold your car AFTER nats so you could've dominated H2 in Utah.

oh, and Brandon isn't that "little"....he's at least 5'4"

I've raced at every nats event since its inception. I can only think of ONE example where they let a person race at the event because he (or she) didn't satisfy the 5 race requirement. And the reason for allowing this person to race was for the sole purpose of direct media/magazine coverage for the event.

If that was me, I'm pretty sure I had 3 starts and 2 TTs. But that's searching my memory through a fog of benedryll.

My opinion is that HC needs to put on the best show they can for the HPD TV show. It would also suck if the contingincy munimums weren't met. Unless that meant that people were super chill with each other on the track and in the tech shed. However, that doesn't always happen even without money on the line.

Andy,

ps. don't ask.