Dyno Results At Miller.....

jrgordonsenior

Question for those who dyno'd at Miller last year:

Did you dyno results at Miller differ from your latest dyno results in your home territory? I'm curious as to how the elevation, humidity, etc. affected the results and whether or not I need to plan on dynoing my car there...

Thanks in advance...

JR Gordon ST2

• Members
Question for those who dyno'd at Miller last year:

Did you dyno results at Miller differ from your latest dyno results in your home territory? I'm curious as to how the elevation, humidity, etc. affected the results and whether or not I need to plan on dynoing my car there...

Thanks in advance...

JR Gordon ST2

From all indications, if you think your close, then you should definately take advantage of the dyno before competition starts to make sure your legal.

Dyno's are supposed to be corrected to altiitude and temperature. So in a perfect world the results at 4500feet will be the same as at sea level 68F.

In practice every dyno is slightly different. Last year 944 spec cars were pulling corrected numbers right in line what I would expect in phoenix. However if you are close you should check. Remember also that at altitude you mixture can go rich due to thinner air. Some cars compensate better than others.

• 4 weeks later...
Be sure to get on the dyno, my car seemed to be down on power the first day.

Thanks Ken, I scheduled one for 10:30 Wednesday. Interesting that you were down on power ar first, did your dyno numbers change after the Championship race?

Be sure to get on the dyno, my car seemed to be down on power the first day.

Thanks Ken, I scheduled one for 10:30 Wednesday. Interesting that you were down on power ar first, did your dyno numbers change after the Championship race?

I didn't get on the Dyno till Sat AM I had a 15 hp range with the 4 dynos, luckly I was legal everytime & the high one was when I paid.

I had a 15 hp range with the 4 dynos

We didn't dyno last year but the cars around us in the garage did... a lot. There seemed to be a quite a bit of variability between runs last year. Even runs done back to back, much less a seperate day. There was a Factory 5 next to us that was draining fuel, messing with timing, plugs and everything else to account for 15-20 HP differences. I talked to CMC and an AI car that were having similar problems.

I talked to our engine tuner before we left and he said at the altitude of MMP (4400 ft) our computer should be able to adjust F:Air just fine. Our Traqmate showed appropriate HP numbers and we didn't notice any power loss until we lost some lifters during the 2nd qualifying race.

Now that all said, we have dyno time scheduled this year... Just to make sure.

j

• 2 weeks later...

Correctly working dynojets should all read 5% within one another or better. It accounts for sea level and air temps, like another guy stated it matters how well your computer in the car does with the same.

nod - and you gotta watch that you're doing the procedures, settings, correction factors, smoothing factors, etc the same as will be done trackside. Should be spelled out in your series rules.

5% at 400hp is + or - 20 hp. Not very good results by any means.

My car had a variation of 6 hp over 3 different dyno pulls on 3 different days at Miller this year (135-141hp).

John I saw you were having car troubles in your main event. I looked for you after the race but could not find you. How did it turn out?

4.4% in your case. Lot of things come into factor, like coolant and oil temps for the pulls etc.

There's not much in the way of more accurate ways of doing things IMO. I'm really curious to see how this GPS thing works, with so many factors going into how a car rolls vs another car.

As a 20 variance at 400hp...its all relative, in that class that car would be running 20 is 5% as is 5hp is 4% of the spec944. What sucks is no matter your HP you get DQ'd for being over at all over your avg of 3 pulls. Just means top runners need to pony up to dyno their cars often, until a better way is found. Even at that there will always be variances, way to many variables.

pay to play.

John I saw you were having car troubles in your main event. I looked for you after the race but could not find you. How did it turn out?

Motor said see ya on lap 6. Had a comfortable lead at the time but we'll never know....

John, sorry to hear your motor let go. I also had a mechanical just before I could take the white flag. Had a good run from 24 up to 7/8 too...

Maybe its time to get into 944 Spec, I think I know someone selling a really good car

It is a traqmate system and I had them in my car for the Spec944 race and the GTS1 race.

Sorry to hear about your race. It looks like you had them covered.

Well there is always next year.

It was great to see you at Miller.

FWIW, I was dyno'd twice at Miller pulling 280 and 282. I dyno'd at 272 on a dynojet 248 at Buttonwillow in June so I was unpleasantly surprised. It cost me an additional 100 lbs. which certainly didn't make me faster....

It will be interesting to see where my new 3.4 dyno's when I return to BW in November. Both motors are OEM....

This is obviously a very difficult topic to tackle, and i think NASA did whatever was within their power to keep things fair for everyone. But at least you guys had a dyno to use. My car is AWD, so i think its safe to say that i had the biggest disadvantage compared to everyone else (RWD/FWD). While everyone else had the opportunity to tune their car at the track to optimize their power, or to adjust their ballast instead if they wanted, i couldnt.

As for the GPS units, i had one in my car also which i requested from the first day. I wanted to at least have some sort of idea of what sort of power my car was making. And that was the only option i had to figuring out if i was down on power or not. Given their data, i was told that i was down on power, but there was nothing i could do about it to better perfect my setup because there wasnt an AWD dyno for me to use. Furthermore, since there wasnt an AWD dyno they couldnt really tell me for sure how much power my car was making. I do give credit to NASA for doing everything they could to help me, and i appreciate their efforts. I dont know much about this stuff, but im not sure what else they could have done.

Either way, i was still at a disadvantage compared to my competitors because i couldnt really work on optimizing my car because i didnt really know how much power my car was making. Best case scenario, i figured i could have been close enough with my power, but there may have been something irregular happening in my powerband. So maybe my powerband wasnt as efficient as it could have been. Its not a comforting feeling knowing my competitors have the opportunity to check their power at the track, and to tune their car if they wanted, while i was stuck with whatever i had. There was nothing i could do about it, so i left it at that and just focused on driving the best i could as-is.

Ed,

Just my unsolicited opinion, but if you were really that worried about your power level you would've made arrangements to get your car dynoed somewhere in Utah. If anything talk with some of the officials and find out "what if". If someone had an issue with your car where would they have made you dyno. Find out and have your car dynoed there before competition.

I understand that it's not as easy as the 2wd cars who can make an appointment at the track on the "official" dyno. But if it was me that's what I would've done, it may have taken an extra day but this is Nationals and if you are going to come you may as well know that you are bringing your best.

I understand that it's an added expense, but if it was that important to you I'm sure you could have figured out a way to get it done. Again just my $.02.

Joel

Ed,

Just my unsolicited opinion, but if you were really that worried about your power level you would've made arrangements to get your car dynoed somewhere in Utah. If anything talk with some of the officials and find out "what if". If someone had an issue with your car where would they have made you dyno. Find out and have your car dynoed there before competition.

I understand that it's not as easy as the 2wd cars who can make an appointment at the track on the "official" dyno. But if it was me that's what I would've done, it may have taken an extra day but this is Nationals and if you are going to come you may as well know that you are bringing your best.

I understand that it's an added expense, but if it was that important to you I'm sure you could have figured out a way to get it done. Again just my $.02.

Joel

Just as an FYI . At the start of the event, there were no AWD dynos in the state of Utah. NASA (and Ed) did our best to try to work something out, but when the resources aren't available within 400+ miles you just can't do it.

I say at the start of the event as a shop is opening this week on SLC with an AWD dyno.

Ed,

Joel

Joel

Thanks for your thoughts. But what you dont know is that i did make arrangements to get my car dynoed. Ive been in touch with Dave Balingit, and Greg Greenbaum since 2009 about it. Its safe to say that they can vouch for me on that. They found an AWD dyno that they were going to use for 2009 Nationals. I was the first and only person who went to that shop to test my car on it. Yes, it was an added expense for me because i had to somehow work into my schedule an extra 2 days before Nationals to get there. I worked it into my schedule and we went 2 days before Nationals to that shop to test it out. The dyno was malfunctioning...and that was that. I did the same thing for this year, and NASA did their best to locate an AWD dyno, but they couldnt get anyone to commit.

Not to play devils advocate but you can always take weight out too.

Not exactly. Sure i can take a couple pounds out because i had enough of a margin, but i cant optimize my setup like everyone else without knowing how much power im really making. If im down enough power, i can potentially remove 100lbs. But i wasnt going to risk taking out all my ballast.