Dyno Results At Miller.....

jrgordonsenior

Ed,

You definatly put in your time, sorry to hear it's so hard to find a AWD dyno around Miller, you won't have that issue next year if you come to Mid-Ohio I believe there are awd dynos within about 1 hour of the track.

I can appriciate not wanting to take out weight, it's not easy to re-balance a car after the ballast has been removed, especially it you are used to the way the car has been handleing all year.

How close where they able to get with the GPS? I know they said you where down, but did they have a guess on how much?

Ed,

You definatly put in your time, sorry to hear it's so hard to find a AWD dyno around Miller, you won't have that issue next year if you come to Mid-Ohio I believe there are awd dynos within about 1 hour of the track.

I can appriciate not wanting to take out weight, it's not easy to re-balance a car after the ballast has been removed, especially it you are used to the way the car has been handleing all year.

How close where they able to get with the GPS? I know they said you where down, but did they have a guess on how much?

Thanks. I think i did everything i could. And i know NASA tried everything within their powers also. Not sure what else they could have done. They really went out of their way to try to help me out, and i appreciate that.

Id love to come out to Mid-O next year for Nationals, but im not so sure i can work it out. I came out in 2008 when i was competing in TTA, and it was a grueling drive for me at around 5,000 miles in total. IIRC we were on the road, in total, for about 8-10 days. Right now im just not sure i can do that again. Ill have to wait and see how things are next year. Its still a possibility, but for now its not a very likely one for me.

As for the GPS data, from what i recall, my highest numbers were around 15hp lower than what i made in Socal. And during the race i was usually down around 35-40hp. Im not 100% certain, but thats what i recall. They didnt get into details though. And from what i recall, that was the raw data, so they hadnt applied any of their math/conversions yet.

Id love to come out to Mid-O next year for Nationals, but im not so sure i can work it out. I came out in 2008 when i was competing in TTA, and it was a grueling drive for me at around 5,000 miles in total. IIRC we were on the road, in total, for about 8-10 days. Right now im just not sure i can do that again. Ill have to wait and see how things are next year. Its still a possibility, but for now its not a very likely one for me.

That's what they make car haulers for, pay for the car to be transported and fly out, we had several MW and GL guys do that the last 2 years to get to Miller. We're hoping to see 30+ in the ST2 field next year, can't do it without you SoCal guys.

That's what they make car haulers for, pay for the car to be transported and fly out, we had several MW and GL guys do that the last 2 years to get to Miller. We're hoping to see 30+ in the ST2 field next year, can't do it without you SoCal guys.

I may have to give ST2 your own race group!!!! That would be awesome.

Thats definitely a good idea. Actually, thats what i did in 2008 because i didnt have a trailer then. The 7s only race shop trailered my car out to Mid-O. We still drove out because we had to somehow take all my other tools and equipment. Deals regarding transporting your car only allows you to pack your car with stuff, and 1 set of tires. Challenge now is that i have a cage in my car so it limits me to how much stuff i can pack in my car. So even if i transport my car out there, we would still drive out there to bring all my other tools, parts, and equipment. Beyond that, i have more equipment and parts now. Id love to make it, but right now its just not very likely for me.

ST2 has grown quite a bit the last 2 years. In Socal, we have a good 20 ST2 cars, maybe more. Not everyone comes out at the same time, but weve had as many as 15 or so during 2 of our Regional races. So do you race in ST2 also?

I do set-up for #222 Sawtelle TTS/ST2 and Alsberg #53 TTA - 2010 National Champ -

And I have a customer who bought Darrell Rayburns C6 ST2 car and I'll be setting his car up for next year as well. So between GL and MW we should see fields around 15 cars alone, more if the SE and MA guys will show up - which I'm guessing they will to get some track time before Nats. 2011 will be a great year for ST I believe.

Dave feel free to bring your beer cooler by anytime

I do set-up for #222 Sawtelle TTS/ST2 and Alsberg #53 TTA - 2010 National Champ -

And I have a customer who bought Darrell Rayburns C6 ST2 car and I'll be setting his car up for next year as well. So between GL and MW we should see fields around 15 cars alone, more if the SE and MA guys will show up - which I'm guessing they will to get some track time before Nats. 2011 will be a great year for ST I believe.

Dave feel free to bring your beer cooler by anytime

So how did your ST2 cars do power-wise at MMP compared to whatever power they make in their hometown?

We actually made a little more power than we figured (5 to 10 hp) and had to add a little more weight to the ST2 car (We wanted to be at 3350 making no more than 389 rwhp (we made 385 at home pretty constistantly) and we ended up at 3400 making no more than 397 (the three pulls we paid for were 390, 390, 394). They wouldn't let us know what we dynoed when NASA dynoed us twice. The TTA car made 2hp less than what it made at home.

But home is a dyno in Green Bay, WI and the air at home was humid when we dynoed, thin air has more room for more fuel so I believe that's why the restricted engine had a larger differance. Our air/fuel numbers where a little on the lean side as well. Gotta say after having nose bleeds almost every morning and having the cars run lean I'm glad to get away from the thin air. Love the track/facilities but not a fan of the air.

Everyone says the dyno takes that into account and that the cars can adjust but there is only so much they can do.

• 4 weeks later...

I may have to give ST2 your own race group!!!! That would be awesome.

How many cars would we need? I'm counting almost 30 cars without including any west of the Mississippi

40'ish seems to be the magic number. That would also include those that you could talk into super-sizing. So maybe AI/FFR/GTS could be easily convinced.