2012 Boss 302 Mustang

Ed M.

Now I know what my street car will be to complement the new 2011 GT racecar. And a whole year till we really find out.

Awesome sounding car now key question is will it be reasonably priced or out of control??

Just read all press releases and all details.

Folks this will not be a cheap option and they say 2-3 seconds quicker a lap over stock 5.0 GT.

-Engine really worked with new CNC heads, valves, intake manifold, tune, air intake and special exhaust that is actually a quad setup with dump tubes on the side exit in front of rear wheels. Oh and 7,500rpm or higher redline is stated!!!

- Aero work - front splitter

- Brakes - at a minimum figure standard brembo package cost of $2k it appears and they may even be the big brembo's we run it looks like.

- interior - yes they did some real nice touches like steering wheel and seats (recaro's)

- trans says close ratio 6 speed but specs were same as my stock new 5.0 GT so don't know. 3.73 standard.

Laguna Seca option car is awesome sounding and will clearly be the ultimate car. All of above, no rear seats, 5 ways adjustable shock settings on the car and bigger swaybars and higher spring rates, big oil cooler. Supposedly 1 second faster than normal Boss 302.

If it sells under $40k I will be amazed and thrilled. My guess is $43k and everyone will sell at sticker if they don't get crazy and produce more than 2-3k of them. Will be curious where racing bodies classify especially scca for autocross

The key question is do they sell the engine itself....

leaked from ford is $32k to $35k. another source says 42-45.

I would love to see it at $32 to $35 but I think the latter is probably more correct.

The standard version boss is at least $7k in parts alone minimum and LS version is at least $10k is my guess.

I just went out the door in a no (and I mean zero option) 5.0 GT for under $30k after taxes, etc.. so my guess is these will not be strippers either so figure $39.9k just to say under $40k would be a damn decent price honestly and $3k more for LS option.

Todd is this another poll in the making?? Bet the base price of the new Boss 302

More video and details on the Laguna Seca version here...

Video

...even better video with some Audioslave soundtrack

Writeup

http://blogs.edmunds.com/strategies/2010/08/ford-debuts-new-2012-mustang-boss-302-at-pebble-beach.html

Less and less mods needed to go American Iron racing!

The next few years are going to be interesting...and we continue to look at it.

-=- T

PS- Any aero historians out there who can identify the pioneers of that Mustang splitter design? I'd love to think that American Iron Mustangs really made it popular!!!

We had 'em before the Mustang Challenge cars!

• 2 weeks later...

Love the car and hope to own one next year but I don't see how this car currently fits in American Iron. Way too many ponies for AI and not enough for AIX.

Suspension - I think you're right.

I've always loved Mustangs, my brother (who got me into racing) raced his 70' 351C. Ford got the hardware right on this one, but the looks of the LS just doesnt do it for me. I cant get past the black/red big pimpin theme. I'm trying hard to.

For me, the best looking prepped somewhat current mustang is the Dan Gurney ed.

The standard version boss is at least $7k in parts alone minimum and LS version is at least $10k is my guess.

I just went out the door in a no (and I mean zero option) 5.0 GT for under $30k after taxes, etc.. so my guess is these will not be strippers either so figure $39.9k just to say under $40k would be a damn decent price honestly and $3k more for LS option.

Todd is this another poll in the making?? Bet the base price of the new Boss 302

From what I understand that compared to available options on a GT the Boss cars will be strippers. Interior is cloth or recaro. No leather. No premium stereo. No sync. No navigation. No blue tooth.

Love the car and hope to own one next year but I don't see how this car currently fits in American Iron. Way too many ponies for AI and not enough for AIX.

I wonder sometimes about AIX. SU exists already for unlimited cars. AIX is another unlimited class. Whats the difference? Why not restrict AIX somewhat? a little more hp. open DOT tires. we are going to start getting factory cars that are good AI type race cars that exede AI power to weight ration numbers from the factory.

The 5L Coyote crate engine is an AI plateform without modifications. The Z28 as I understand it will also exede AI numbers. What class would a Boss 302 v Z28 class be like?

I don't want to start a bunch of shit,but I think it's just a matter of time before the power level's will have to be rised in AI and me personally I'll be all for it.

Robert

I think it will be the perfect motor for AI.

Most of the S197 cars that make it to AI are in the 3300-3500# range and need to make 355+RWHP. The Boss motor should make 375+ RWHP stock.

With a little tuning (we have control of cam timing on all four cams, ignition timing, and fuel ) you will have a power curve that looks like a table top and is perfectly legal.

IMO, the only thing this motor changes in relation to AI is you don't have to modify it to have a great AI power plant.