Racers- Rear view mirror advice

CF03GT

What are your impressions/recommendations on the various rear view mirrors (for w2w racing)? I've noticed the 4/5 panel ones as well as the long single "convex" style mirrors. Pros/cons to either?

I'm sure it's another one of the personal choices, but I'd like some input before I pluck down the $75+ on one or the other.

Car is CMC build sn99 Mustang. Thanks- Chris

I didn't like where the change between panels occured with the "wink" mirror that came with my race car - I think it was worse than the bone stock mirror honestly so I swapped it out for a curved panel. I can use that one mirror to see from off to the driver's side rear of the car all the way out to 90* sideways to the passenger side. Downside is it can be a bit tough to judge exact distance / relative position at first but you get dialed into it pretty quick I feel. YMMV.

- KB, who with two mirrors (small spot mirror on the driver's side a-pillar and the main curved panel mirror) can see over 180* around him

Thanks guys. Think I'll give the single convex one a try. Seems a little more "natural" to use and easier to get used to.

I do have a "spot" mirror for the driver a-pillar. Sounds like just the two would be enough to cover it (based on your same set-up Ken).

I have seen some pretty complex mirror arrangements in some cars, and I wanted to keep it simple. This way, having just two points for "glancing" sounds like the ticket!

Thanks. Appreciate your inputs!

I used a Longacre convex mirror in the past and didn't like how distorted it made everything. I replaced it with an Allview and it made a huge difference. It gives a very wide field of view without making it hard to judge distances.

I used a Longacre convex mirror in the past and didn't like how distorted it made everything. I replaced it with an Allview and it made a huge difference. It gives a very wide field of view without making it hard to judge distances.

got a link to it? mostly curious to see how its different than the regular panel ones

I just use a generic large rear view mirror from Autozone. It's cheap and it tells me what I need to know. I don't see a lot of value in what's going on behind me... I only need to know if a car behind me is going to try to make a move or not, and a cheapy mirror serves that purpose just fine.

What are your impressions/recommendations on the various rear view mirrors (for w2w racing)? I've noticed the 4/5 panel ones as well as the long single "convex" style mirrors. Pros/cons to either?

I'm sure it's another one of the personal choices, but I'd like some input before I pluck down the $75+ on one or the other.

Car is CMC build sn99 Mustang. Thanks- Chris

I have 5 panel wink in my 944. I used to to use stock, but when I got my HANS I could and right side net I could not longer see out the passenger mirror. So in went the big wink. I hvae been happy with it like that it does not change the depth as convex mirros do (ie object are larger than they appear).

It is a very personal decision however. You need to do what works for you.

Thanks for your input Joe.

Do you find yourself having to glance in each one of the panels? or is it just a quick glance at one point on it, and you pick up all the points of view?

• 9 years later...

Nine years later and this thread is to be rejuvenated.

With mandatory camera in the cars to record for the benefit of post-incident review, and the requirement to have at least one "mirror", I think the time has come to go digital.  One can, for under $100, get a device that pops over the existing mirror and simultaneously records 170deg in front and 140 degrees to the rear.  For $300 one can get an extraordinary image.  My recent experience is that even $10 rearview mirror cams produce a workable (though smaller) image.

The front camera is part of the add-on "mirror", the rear camera is attached on the rear end of the car, signal fed to the main unit via provided USB cable.

The rear view is displayed on the unit's screen, serving as the rearview mirror.

As I write this, the prices for the good stuff are falling rapidly, the picture quality improving, and the degree width increasing.  Software is employed to remove most of the fisheye for a very natural image.  Typically these devices are 7"-10" wide, full-screen, auto-adjust for light and color.

I see nothing in the rules that prohibit digital display rearview mirrors.  Sitting in my full-containment seat, not only will I be recording all around me, but I will be able to see all around me.

Fabulous device to improve my situational awareness.