HPDE levels

robgendreau

I've been doing track days and HPDEs with other organizations like SCCA (PDX), BMWCCA, Trackmasters, Skip Barber. At each of these I've been signed off to be on my own. But I've never done a NASA HPDE.

I'd like to sign up for the NorCal event at Infineon in Sept, and from reading the materials it seems I'd be OK signing up for the HPDE 2 for both days. I've already been to Infineon for at least two days on the track. I'd be using my spec miata, which I haven't used at that track yet. And I haven't been out for a while because of medical problems, so I'd just like to get seat time; I'm not working on getting real speedy at this point.

Would this be OK? I want to make sure I get in the correct group.

Rob

If you haven't been on a track in a while, and you are in a new car, id register for the HPDE1. It gives you an instructor which could help refresh your memory. If you show that you know what you are doing, a checkout ride to HPDE2 should be no problem early on Saturday. Have fun!

I just checked and HPDE 1 is currently full. I'm always happy to be with an instructor, but since I want to do both days I'm still wondering if the HPDE 2 group would be OK.

thanks,

Rob

fire off an email to their chief instructor (if their contact is listed on their site, if not hit up the regional director instead) and see - that's probably the best/quickest way to get an answer

Rob - during the first HPDE-3 session each day, the instructors take their students out for two laps to show and talk about the track. I think that they usually just take the HPDE-1 drivers, but they may have room for you to ride along, so ask during the morning meeting. Those two laps are at a really slow pace though. If you haven't driven much at Infineon, then see about riding as a passenger during the HPDE-4 session. Quite a few instructors drive during it, and you may be able to ride along - the instructors usually pit in one area, so you can have your helmet with you in that area of the pit say 10-15' before the session. Other (non instructor) drivers may also have room. The high HPDE-4 pace is great so you get a good feel for the track and lines at high speed. In Norcal, time trials sometimes runs with HPDE-4 (but not during the Sept event), so it may be a little more crowded and hectic on the track. I'm driving in HPDE-3 (white Civic hatch #21), so if you want to ride along, just ask - I'm usually at the far end of the parking area. - Jim