1974 AMC Javelin build

asifnyc

I had to have the centers bored out of a set of wheels a couple years ago for my 2006 Mustang. My engine builder did it for me and he is in Pinole. If you like I'll call him Wed. and see if he has time to do yours.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• asifnyc

• TurboShortBus

• bulletpruf

• Adam Ginsberg

Thanks Steve, spoke to Kurt earlier today. Will cost about $200 total to get it done (have to get the tires unmounted, holes enlarged and tires remounted).

Wow, how awesome is this thread!! I was building, until this thread was started ironically, a '74 Maxi Blue Jav for A.I. as well, until I had to sell the car in a divorce, my second build for A.I.. I had another '74 and 69 AMX that I had built but were also sold before I got them on track. Great work, I hope I will be seeing this stuff at Laguna Later this year, would love to bench race with some of you!

hey Joey,

Sorry to hear you never got any of your AMC's on track. AI doesn't race at Laguna but I did a track day there in my '73 Javelin back in November.

and here's the IFS installed. Still waiting on upper control arms and I need to get a power rack. here's a timelapse of my day (yes, it took all day...)

ifs2.jpg

got the driver's side IFS done. I'll finish up the passenger side on tuesday. I also picked up this used accusump and 5lb fire bottle. what do you think of this location for mounting? more info at: http://asifnyc.com

ifs5.jpg

accu_fire.jpg

The standard 6ft. cable included with most fire systems won't reach to that mounting location unless you mount the pull handle somewhere in the middle of the car, i.e. dash, tranny tunnel, etc. I'm a big believer in mounting the handle near the driver side A-pillar where corner workers can get to it without sticking their head & arms into a burning car. In my case, this required mounting the fire bottle behind the driver seat so the cable would reach. A longer cable would also work.... Just something to think about.

Good ideas:

1. Double fire bottle pull handles, one at each A-pillar

2. Double kill switches, one at each A-pillar

IMO, it doesn't do any good to put a pull handle or kill switch in the middle of the car if the other one is only accessible from the outside on one side.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

more progress. the front suspension/brake setup is almost complete. see the blog for all the gory details. one huge fiasco is that I bought what I thought was a 9" posi 3rd member off craigslist. well turns out I have a "rare" 9 3/8" out of a lincoln (lucky me). so, now I need a 3rd member and really don't know where to go. I don't want to spend a million dollars. this car is already costing a fortune and there's no one to race with anyway anybody got any suggestions or maybe have something used? I'll be at Infineon on Saturday...

brake3.jpg

and there's no one to race with anyway

Not to step on any toes, but don't overlook the Super Touring, Performance Touring, or even Time Trial classes if the AI field seems to be empty.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
oh and Mark, I was looking into ST2 but I think my 3 link makes the car in-eligible...?

True; I forgot that you altered your floorpan (by cutting a hole in it) when you installed the 3-link. I'll email Greg G. about it and post a clarification here.

Mark

I received a reply from Greg G. this afternoon.

For Super Touring: Your floorpan modification for the 3-link is illegal for ST2 (min. 8.7 lb/rwhp) and ST1 (min. 5.5 lb/rwhp). However, the modification is legal for STR2 (min. 8.7 lb/rwhp) and STR1 (min. 5.5 lb/rwhp). Note that "anything goes" in SU, so you would be fine there.

For Time Trial: Since your car would be legal for STR2 (min. 8.7 lb/rwhp), it can cross over and compete in TTU (min. 5.5 lb/rwhp), although you will be at a weight/power disadvantage. Also, "anything goes" in TTR, so you would be fine there as well.

For "Fun Runs:" You could run in ST2 as a "Fun Run," but you will not win awards, win contingency, accrue points, or set track records.

If you would like an official reply or further details from Greg G. for your records, then please contact him via email at [email protected] and let him know that you are the person to whom I was referring in my email correspondence with him today.

Mark

Hey Mark - shut yer trap. He's going to run AI.

Glad to see you picked up your motor, Asif! As we discussed at SPIR - focus, don't redo stuff, get the car done, and out on track!

hey Mark, thanks for the class run-down. I appreciate it. I don't think anyone is running STR in norcal either (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) so I'm not sure it matters...

oh and... BAM!

eng_mock1.jpg

oh and Mark, I was looking into ST2 but I think my 3 link makes the car in-eligible...?

True; I forgot that you altered your floorpan (by cutting a hole in it) when you installed the 3-link. I'll email Greg G. about it and post a clarification here.

Mark

Mark... if I cut the OEM balsa wood/aluminum sandwiched floor in my Corvette and replace the area under the driver's seat with sheet-metal all the get the seat 1/2" lower is that legal for TTA/PTA. It's not a performance mod.... it's a "I'm 6'4" and need every bit of room to fit with my cage going in" mod.

Sorry to hijack, but it seemed relevant.

Mark... if I cut the OEM balsa wood/aluminum sandwiched floor in my Corvette and replace the area under the driver's seat with sheet-metal all the get the seat 1/2" lower is that legal for TTA/PTA. It's not a performance mod.... it's a "I'm 6'4" and need every bit of room to fit with my cage going in" mod.

Sorry to hijack, but it seemed relevant.

That's a good question, and unfortunately, it's one that is best sent directly to Greg G. I know some Spec Miata drivers who are doing the same thing to their transmission tunnels (aka part of the unibody/floorpan), so this may become an issue in PT/TT. I'll email Greg this morning to get his answer, and either reply back here or PM you.

Mark

ON EDIT: I just emailed your question to Greg G.

It is funny to me that you can cut your firewall and move the engine back 10" but for heaven sake don't poke your third-link through the floor pan!

Who comes up with this stuff?

It is funny to me that you can cut your firewall and move the engine back 10" but for heaven sake don't poke your third-link through the floor pan!

Note that the rules state that you can move the engine back up to 10", but nothing is mentioned that allows you to modify the firewall. So, if your car comes from the factory with 10" between the engine and the firewall, then have at it! If not, then you are limited to the existing distance between the engine and the firewall.

Mark

Note that the rules state that you can move the engine back up to 10", but nothing is mentioned that allows you to modify the firewall. So, if your car comes from the factory with 10" between the engine and the firewall, then have at it! If not, then you are limited to the existing distance between the engine and the firewall.

Mark

Relocation of suspension mounting points, modification and/or

relocation of the firewall with engine relocation ten (10) inches or less, and modified

K(cross)-members are all permitted

So I'm reading this wrong?