1974 AMC Javelin build

asifnyc

Congrats on the successful shake-down runs, Asif!

Our 2012 schedule is currently under review, and should be released very soon. We look forward to seeing you, and the Javelin, on track racing in American Iron soon!

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• asifnyc

• TurboShortBus

• bulletpruf

• Adam Ginsberg

Here's a TENATIVE 2012 schedule (final should be ready to post by end of next week):

Feb 11/12 - SPIR

Mar 10/11 - SPIR

Apr 21/22 - BW

May 26/27 - WSIR (X-over to NorCal)

June 23/24 - BW

Aug 18/19 - THill

Oct 13/14 - BW

Nov 10/11 - SPIR (X-over SoCal)

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see the Javelin on track and I look forward to you running with the Outlaws. If you have any questions about Outlaw or need any help, let me know. Our first event will be the Infineon March race. If you are a facebook guy, "like" our new AIX Outlaw page on facebook. Our latest video will be coming out there soon and it will debut the new, custom Outlaw trophy that is pretty impressive if I dont say so myself. We got a good group of guys running in the group with a few other new guys joining this season so you wont be alone. We are working on our 69 mustang AI car at the moment. It will be cool to see some a couple vintage iron machines on track together!

• 4 weeks later...

ok, we're getting close to the finish line here. I got a truck and trailer and the car is at the body shop! should be done mid next week. then I just need to get the numbers and other stickers on it and I'll be ready for the Feb. race at Infineon. Everything's right on schedule (just exactly one YEAR late)... also, I'm signed up for a 2nd shake down run at Thunderhill with NCRC for Jan. 23rd. there's a chance I may get in on an Infineon test day on Jan. 13th as well (or instead of) the Thunderhill event. more details on the blog:

http://asifnyc.com/?p=1226

http://asifnyc.com/?p=1237

http://asifnyc.com/?p=1245

rig.jpg

stripped2.jpg

car has been painted and I will be running an open test session at Infineon this Friday from 1pm - 4pm. here's a teaser pic. Sunoco Blue is the color

P1020810.jpg

Congrats, Asif!

I am really looking forward to seeing this beast battle it out on track with the rest of the AI/CMC crowd.

See you in February!

thanks Adam.

ok, I survived the Friday test session at Infineon. here's a video (sorry the camera angle isn't the best). I managed a 1:58.2 still need to find several seconds but at least I'm headed in the right direction and shaved over 5 seconds off my lap time from the first shake down in November. all the details are here: http://asifnyc.com/?p=1262

video here:

Go watch the video.....

Great stuff, Asif!

I have now! Everybody cant watch youtube at work Adam!

The internet nazis at my work frown heavily upon it.

Car looks awesome! This is a really cool project.

• 4 weeks later...

The race writeup will be out shortly, but, I thought I'd post this now.....no only did Asif complete the entire weekend (with some teething pains), but he took a race win on Sunday! Rookie driver, first race weekend with a very new car, and he came away with a win!

Congrats Asif! It was awesome seeing the car on track!

my winning strategy (being the only car in your class to finish) is not going to hold up long term. need to come up with some other approach...

I need to say a big THANK YOU to you Adam and Derek, Daniel, Mike and Ron. I wouldn't have been able to get through the weekend without all the help, advice, tools, etc. thanks everyone!

I've got a video up of Sunday's "race" (which includes my spin going up the hill to turn 2). unfortunately my battery ran out so I didn't get the whole race...

and my weekend race report here: http://asifnyc.com/?p=1276

hey guys, hoping someone on here has an answer for my latest drama... my power steering rack is leaking at the center crossover tube (don't know if that's the right name). see the picture. this is a flared tube with a flare nut and fluid is leaking past the flare and coming out the hole in the flare nut. so, how do I fix this the flare does not seem damaged in any way. I was wondering if there are any flare to AN adapters? maybe I could ditch this hard line and switch it to a -3 or -4 braided line? I'd only need about a 14" braided line to make the connection.

rack_leak.jpg

When I replumbed all the power steering hard lines in my Mustang with braided I had some slight leaks at the fittings that I was able to fix. I used Loctite 545 Hydraulic Thread Sealant. It is available on amazon. Fairly expensive but it worked for me. Granted it wasnt on one of those crossover tube fittings but its worth a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't fixed it yet but I have a plan. I got 9/16 -18 (o-ring) to -6 fittings for the rack. next, a friend is going to pick up fittings and hose for me to make my own line. the fittings/hose are rated for 2250psi and are what the dirt modified guys use to plumb their power racks. Tuesday night I'll build the line and test it out. I also picked up the locktite hydraulic sealant you mentioned JD.

posted an update on my blog: http://asifnyc.com/?p=1284