• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• asifnyc

• TurboShortBus

• bulletpruf

• Adam Ginsberg

Asif -

Did I see on your blog that you had decided on an engine? If so, care to share any info? You're not putting a shivverlay in it, are you?!?!

Scott

speed-o-motive in west covina, ca is doing the engine. in 2012 american iron rules say engine make and car make must match. so I'm building an AMC 360. should be done about the end of january.

speed-o-motive in west covina, ca is doing the engine. in 2012 american iron rules say engine make and car make must match. so I'm building an AMC 360. should be done about the end of january.

Sounds like a good AI build - 360's are easy to find, inexpensive, and can make your hp goal w/o any problem.

Scott

hey guys, do any of you run a pump and cooler for your rear-end? someone suggested I need one, do I?

Only if you run an IRS. Stick axles have enough fluid capacity and surface area for cooling.

I'd run poly.... a little compliance is nice to have.

I replaced the stockers in my Corvette with urethane units from Pfadt. When prepping a 120k mile car I didn't want to take the chance that one of the mounts would be torn. Plus I already had all the stuff out of the way to make for an easy install.

DSCF4173.jpg

DSCF4174.jpg

progress update...

the engine build is in full swing. should be done around mid-january. I finished fab'ing an aluminum dash. I've ordered and received a bunch of parts (battery, radiator, steering wheel, window net, brake bias adjuster...

here's a pic of the dash I made. more update info here: http://asifnyc.com/?p=807 and here: http://asifnyc.com/?p=821

dashfab2.JPG

Good progress!

Dropped off my car at Piper Motorsports yesterday - local shop with a great reputation. Getting the cage installed, seats and harnesses mounted, etc. Guess I need to start my own Javelin build thread.

I've got dash envy. I'm ditching my stocker and going with something fabricated, too. Will check out your blog for more info. Some great posts on corner carvers about wiring, too - try http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34419

I'm assuming your cage 1.75 x .120, but looks like some of it is smaller - is that 1.5 x .120? Looks like I'm going with 1.75 x .120 for most of my cage; AI requires that for 3,000 - 4,000 pounds (without fuel or driver). Figure I may be close to that.

What are you going to do about your rear quarter windows? Couldn't see from the pictures. Are you getting rid of the window regulators, etc, and bolting the windows shut? If so, how did you do that?

Also, what brand/model did you use for steering column and pedals?

Thanks!

Scott

Scott, please start a build thread. I want to see how your car comes along. take as many pictures and as much video as you can! btw, if you like the dash I might be able to mail you the templates or even cut the pieces out of aluminum and send you the 2 flat aluminum pieces. then you would just need to put the bends in it.

thanks for the wiring thread. it looks really useful.

yes, cage is 1.75 x .120. the corner supports are smaller but I don't know exact size.

everything related to the rear qtr windows has been removed. including the inner stamped panel that the interior side panel screws to. that stamped piece is simply bolted in place (about 6 bolts).

100_3894.JPG

the steering column is from speedway motors

steering_column.JPG

and the pedal assembly is from wilwood (purchased from summit racing).

Scott, please start a build thread. I want to see how your car comes along. take as many pictures and as much video as you can! btw, if you like the dash I might be able to mail you the templates or even cut the pieces out of aluminum and send you the 2 flat aluminum pieces. then you would just need to put the bends in it.

thanks for the wiring thread. it looks really useful.

yes, cage is 1.75 x .120. the corner supports are smaller but I don't know exact size.

everything related to the rear qtr windows has been removed. including the inner stamped panel that the interior side panel screws to. that stamped piece is simply bolted in place (about 6 bolts).

the steering column is from speedway motors

and the pedal assembly is from wilwood (purchased from summit racing).

As always, thanks for the info. Would be great if you could save your templates for the dash. Please post up some pics when you have it installed.

I've removed all the quarter window hardware from my car as well. Looks like the rules would allow use of Lexan here, but I've asked the shop that's doing the cage to see if they can fix the factory windows in place without any of the factory hardware. I can cover the void with some aluminum.

Think next stage of my build will be dash bar (leaving it out for now), pedals, steering column, blower motor (something from Speedway), and dash. In the meantime, I plan to re-assemble the 401 and install it and the T-10.

Thanks,

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

chassis paint... check mark.

picked up the car today. insides are all painted. now I have to start putting the car back together and putting parts in/on it! received the lexan windshield I ordered a month ago and the engine is due to be completed the end of January. the fiberglass hood and front spoiler are due to arrive late next week. chances of making the first race are pretty slim at this point... but I'm going to keep at it and see what happens. other odds and ends... I bought a used ford 9" center section on craigslight. it's a posi with 3.25 gears. unfortunately I think the clutches are shot... don't know if I'm just going to try to replace the clutches or just use it for the carrier and put in a proper diff like a true trac or DPI...

here's a pic of the painted cage. there's more info and a little time lapse video of me welding/grinding trim holes at: http://asifnyc.com

gray1.jpg