1974 AMC Javelin build

asifnyc

I was only reading this, from the classification forms (easier to go through 5 pages of forms than 44 pages of rules lol):

D. DRIVETRAIN:

7) Relocation of engine/transmission between 1 and 10 inches of the OEM location +7

(note: Relocation of less than 1 inch is not assessed points, and more than 10 inches is not

permitted without the approval of the National TT Director.)

Mark

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• asifnyc

• TurboShortBus

• bulletpruf

• Adam Ginsberg

Relocation of suspension mounting points, modification and/or

relocation of the firewall with engine relocation ten (10) inches or less, and modified

K(cross)-members are all permitted

So I'm reading this wrong?

That portion of the rules is from:

6.2.3 TTU and TTS Vehicle Modification Restrictions/Limitations

So, it wouldn't apply to AI cars that could fit into TTA.

But yes, I agree, it seems strange for TTS cars. According to the explanation that I received, if one person is allowed to modify the floorpan to allow an upper 3rd link to pass through and mount, then somebody else will take that permitted modification to an extreme and construct a rear suspension of 36" long trailing arms that attach to the cage structure, requiring several holes in the floorpan, "back-halfing" the car, etc. But, like you said, it's cool to put the engine in your lap.

Mark

So I am reading it correctly? Move the engine 10" but don't poke a hole in your floorpan! Priceless

For TTS, you are correct. For TTA-TTF, you can't do any of it.

It's not the one hole in the floorpan that the rules are concerned with; it's several holes for an insane multi-link suspension that is taken to an extreme. The line has to be drawn somewhere, and the current rules draw that line at the very start.

Mark

So I am reading it correctly? Move the engine 10" but don't poke a hole in your floorpan! Priceless

It's not the one hole in the floorpan that the rules are concerned with; it's several holes for an insane multi-link suspension that is taken to an extreme. The line has to be drawn somewhere, and the current rules draw that line at the very start.

Mark

Give me a .5 point ding for the 3rd link then, don't make the car illegal because I penetrated the floor pan for one link while another guy has the engine sitting next to him. I think the 'vette guys are just scared of the solid axle step-children giving them a run for their money.

[/hijack]

Mark... if I cut the OEM balsa wood/aluminum sandwiched floor in my Corvette and replace the area under the driver's seat with sheet-metal all the get the seat 1/2" lower is that legal for TTA/PTA. It's not a performance mod.... it's a "I'm 6'4" and need every bit of room to fit with my cage going in" mod.

Sorry to hijack, but it seemed relevant.

Note that I'm just the messenger.

I received a reply last night regarding your proposed modification above. First, there is this item h16 in the "No-Points Modifications" section:

16) The transmission tunnel may be modified for the purpose of installing a competition driver

seat. The floor pan must remain in its original position.

So, that covers the transmission tunnel, but not the floor pan.

Per the reply that I received, your Corvette floorpan modification "would not be legal under the rules for TTA-TTF, PT, ST1-2." However, you "could request a waiver, by sending an e-mail with photos and drawings of the proposed modifications." It was noted, though, that the chances for approval might only be 50/50.

Mark

Thanks Mark... if it comes to needing to do the mod I'll draw it up and send it to Greg showing him what's up. I wouldn't be moving the floor pan really... I'd jsut be making a thick floorpann much thinner... the bottom of the car would appear unchanged.

• 4 weeks later...

it's been a while since I've posted an update here. Been making progress but there is so much to do. Here's a brief run-down.

1. assembled 3rd member installed

2. accusump plumbing pretty much done

3. oil cooler installed

4. wiring basically done

5. brake lines all run

6. flywheel/clutch installed - ready to mock up the trans

7. right side cage net mounted

Here's some pics (bigger pics and more info at http://asifnyc.com):

net1-150x150.jpgclutch1-150x150.jpgcagenet1-150x150.jpgoil_cooler2-150x150.jpg

oil_plumbing-150x150.jpg3rdmember1-150x150.jpgcoolant_tank-150x150.jpgpsteer_bracket1-150x150.jpg

Asif,

Everything look's great. I spoke with you last year at Infineon just after you had started your tear down of the car. Hope to see you on track later this year.

Asif,

Everything look's great. I spoke with you last year at Infineon just after you had started your tear down of the car. Hope to see you on track later this year.

When are you planning to get back on track, Troy??

That's great to hear, Troy. June @ BW would be a great event to put on your schedule, as I believe the rest of the AIX "Outlaws" are planning to be there.

Same for you, Asif!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey Asif -

What's the latest on the car? Making any progress? I've completed my move to Georgia. Garage is almost set up, so it's time to get back to work on my car again.

Scott

• 2 months later...

Nice work, Asif! Great to see your continued progress. Any chance you can get the car read for next weekend's event at Infineon? If so, that would be a perfect time to shake the beast down.

BTW - don't get worked up over the AIX-Outlaw gig. Trust me on this. All of them are basically AI cars with a mod-factor depending on various items (tires, transmission, etc). The racing has been very close all year, and it's been working very well. Other AI drivers have checked out AIX-Outlaw at the track, and have realized it's really AI with a few extras.

Finish the car. Bring it out. Come race with us!

thanks Adam. unfortunately I'm out of town this weekend. really wanted to come out and at least see everyone... I'm trying to get into a track day the following weekend, we'll see...

ok, so I managed to get in on a track day at Infineon with Track Masters Racing for this Saturday Nov. 19th! really curious to see how this thing handles out of the box. I need to bed the brakes and I hope I don't screw that up. any suggestions for what tire pressure to run? 275/40-17 Toyo RA1's...

• Members

Very cool! I love to see the old school cars on the track driven hard.

Looks solid. Motor sounds great. not too loud, which i like.

Keep the fan. you will need it some day.

engine should come up to temp weather it is 32F or 100F. 50F is a perfect day.

You should be using a modified thermostat so that the engine dos not run too cool.

Maybe need to tape up some intake area of the radiator??

you are lucky to be too cool than too hot.

Thanks for the video.

Jay Andrew