VANOS Rebuild

dbgeek

I'm too slow to understand what you are saying but what corrected me after I was off on timing, was to turn the VANOS wheel back a tad so that it caught the first tooth. The first time it was probably just enough to skip the first and get the second, therefore not good (and in accordance with the Bentley). Maybe I'm saying the same as you, but mine showed up on timing, and it sounds like you are saying it wouldn't. When I seriously blow my head to pieces I'll have a model to play with

I think we're saying the same thing. I think your 'vanos wheel' is what I'm calling the gear cup. If you are on the correct internal spline, it goes right in. If you are on the 'odd' spline (one over from correct) you 'skip the first and get the second'.

and yes, it would show up once you rotate the engine a couple turns (the step i didn't know about, as Beisan doesn't mention it)

you people are 1. too smart and 2. making my head hurt.

You so crazy! I take picture, make it all better.

except this forum doesn't host... hmmmm

• 4 weeks later...
For those who are interested, here is a picture of the cam blocks when the VANOS is installed 'off a tooth':

Yeah, that's just like I had it installed when I did it wrong. I find it hard to believe this is "better", but only one way to find out

• Members
I will stay factory untill a guy with the VANOS adjustment pulls on me

Someone needs to check Mike's VANOS settings then.

I arranged the last dyno tuning process. It is someone elses turn.

There is a dyno about 20 minutes from here (BW was a 3-4 hour tow). I can do 3 runs each with the stock chip and the BW chip. Then I can change the Vanos and do 3 runs with each chip again. It will cost $200-300 and a day of time.

BUT... clearly this isn't allowed in the rules, so should we?

• Members

The only value add to doing it would be to have the data so that it is easy to verify someone who is not playing by the rules.

The only value add to doing it would be to have the data so that it is easy to verify someone who is not playing by the rules.

Protest and take the valvecover off and verify intake cam location. Almost easier and cheaper than setting up a dyno which could be inconclusive anyway. Should you have to pay for the work it's only a valvecover gasket and 1-2 hours of labor. That said, a failure in the VANOS I imagine could lead to a situation that would be illegal in this respect, but caused by a failed part, and not an intentional cheater. Then the VANOS system needs to be tested for proper operation, which is slightly more involving.

Why would someone not play by the rules?

• Members
Protest and take the valvecover off and verify intake cam location.

As history has shown, we use the dyno to verify legality as part of the impound process. Thankfully, NASA provides this to us for free as a way to quickly check for outliers. The greater the comparison data we have to use when impound dyno runs are performed, the smarter we can be at catching outliers.

Very few racers tend to put up the cash to protest a competitor's engine. Alternatively, expressing concerns over a competitor's power levels (video evidence is often the best way to support those concerns) can aid officials when determining the dyno impound individuals.

My valvecover gasket doesn't stick - I use Hylomar as the sealing goop, and re-use the gasket the 3 times the cover has been off.

Perhaps we can have a friday night ritual of removing all our valvecovers. I'll show you mine if you show me yours?

I will stay factory untill a guy with the VANOS adjustment pulls on me

Someone needs to check Mike's VANOS settings then.

You can check it when the engine goes, I'm scared to even touch the damn engine, it runs so well inspite of the high mileage it has. I want to open it up and do the oil pump nut / rod bearings / oil pan baffle for longevity, but i'm scared i might mess up something that already works.

don't touch it if it don't need fixin right?...or something along those lines.

I got some damn good video this wkd btw, just need to upload it....

• Members
I got some damn good video this wkd btw, just need to upload it....

Looking forward to seeing the video from Saturday.