SVO Mustang in AI?

The Chazz

Anyone here seen any done at all? Curious as to their reliability and any pros/cons to building one for AI. I noticed they get a weight break, so getting one to 250whp wouldn't cost me a lot of money at all. Just strip it and cage it. Any thought?

Thanks a bunch

I have always wondered while no one has done it as these are cheap as can be now and you could do some cool things with intercooler and turbo and go kart weight level.

The boosted / intercooled engines are more susceptible to heat soak over the course of a track session, especially in the summer months. We have a few boosted guys running down here in Time Trial (TTA Mitsubishi Evo, TTC turbocharged Miata, TTA turbocharged Audi S4, and a TTA supercharged Mini) who are fastest in the first 2-3 laps of each session, with the cars getting slower and slower throughout the sessions due to the compressors and intercoolers becoming heat soaked. These guys typically run about 3 laps in the early TT sessions, then park the cars for the rest of the day because they know they won't go any faster in the afternoons (but where is the fun in that?). In a W2W class, where you have to run the whole session in order to win, the lap times might start to fall off toward the end of the races.

Now, don't get me wrong; I love oddball combos, and I'd like to see something like this in AI (hell, I'd like to see a turbo 4-banger in a gutted SN95). With a good boost controller, you could hold the wastegate shut at lower RPMs and allow the boost to spike early so that your HP and TQ curves shoot up quickly, then have the boost bleed off in order to maintain certain HP and TQ limits to meet the class rules.

If your post-race impound and inspection involves dyno testing, then it might be a bit trickier, depending on weather conditions. While the output of all engines will vary depending on the weather, boosted engines will vary more. 10 psi of boost in the summer will make a lot less power than 10 psi of boost in the winter; you may blow the dyno test in the winter while you could be leaving some power on the table in the summer. Of course, you can tune around this.

Note that some of our turbocharged TT cars are insanely fast for their classes, leading to suspicions of cheating (via presumed in-car altered boost levels) from other drivers, so be prepared for scrutiny or just the plain old hairy eyeball. A NASA official datalogged a couple of those cars at one of our recent events, and I'm awaiting the results to arrive after Nationals.

Mark

An SVO is far to rare to even consider

I prefer to turn mine into scrap metal.

l_8a8dd6e685ce4a772d355baf40ea1f3c.jpg

Of course, you wouldn't need to start with an actual SVO. Build a 2.3L turbo driveline and dunk it into a cheap Fox notchback from Craigslist.

Mark

I have always wondered while no one has done it as these are cheap as can be now and you could do some cool things with intercooler and turbo and go kart weight level.
You know plenty of the new motors make alot of power and are N/A so why even go with theturbo

?????

Mark

sad0125.gif

Yeah, that one went over like a turd in a punch bowl on SVOCA.com.

Mark

You don't have to claim it's not a real SVO. The "SVO people" already have verified what it is and they are sending the SVO abuse prevention team to eliminate your threat once and for all. You should have known.

Here on the West Coast we have two SVO running in AI

Cheers

The reliability of the engine is a real concern.

Mike Fitzwater has moved on to a V8. After this season of blown parts at open tests, I'm going to try one more year. If the problems continue, I'll move on.

I would highly suggest that anyone wanting to run in AI stick to the proven drivetrains.

Bob Holmes

Grabaldi (wannabe) Racing.