Used Hoosiers

atticshade

I picked up used Hoosiers for my track day running. After my first use, either they didn't pick up enough heat after 8 laps or they don't have any heat cycles left. The tires are left over from the 25 hr at Thunderhill. The car was like driving on ice. The car felt better controled running Kuhmo racers or Falken 615's. Does anybody have experience with used Hoosiers?

Depending on how they will used, it is not common for a Hoosier to be used up before the tread is gone. Its the number of heat cycles that wears them down. Though if they were used for the 25 hr, they are toast.

Also just a tidbit, when I first tried Hoosiers about a year ago when I got to time trials, I bought a "new" set that sat for 18 months in storage. They were hard as rocks and were worse than the RA1s that I ran out prior to them.

The tires are on the car in storage, so I don't have the codes. i know these came off the Mazda from Team MER. The tires gets changed one per pit stop, so some have have an hour or 3-4 hours all on one heat cycle. I wanted to try the slick but they don't have the grip that I'm used to. I run a 91 300ZX and I've had 1.4 G readings at various tracks on tires that I drove to the event on.

I think I'll start next year with a fresh set of stickys.

Thanks

I use the Fastline audible G meter. i know it's not an accurate number but for driving comparisons its's been very useful. The Hoosiers were only coming up to a 1.2 rating. If new Falken's were getting a 1.4, it's time to forget about free tires. The question is now, doing I get new tire before the end of the season (maybe 3-4 track days available) or wait until spring to see if something new comes out?