Is AIX dead in its present form?

robbodleimages

The same thing that makes it sooo RIIIGGHHT! 1000bhp! there is just too few people in my opinion who want to try and compete at that prep level because of the cubic dollars involved? just my guess- ... cubic dollars being a relative term, it is possible to the guys running in AIX that whatever they are spending they may not consider to be vast quantities of $ - but to many people it is - The D.S.S. motor + turbo = way more than the cost of my entire car after purchase and complete ground up rebuild... but how ca you argue with 180mph straight line speeds at the Nats, that is just awesome! when I win the lotto I'M IN!

Apparently, the rumor got out there that I was building an AIX car for 2011 and everyone got skeered and sold their chit.

Seriously though, does AIX have a strong presence in ANY region? I would love to see this class continue to grow and hopefully the natl's at Mid-O will have a much better turn out next year.

ive been thinking that aix might be better served as AI + rather than SU 2.0. Do we need more than one unlimited class?

we occasionally have a pretty good aix race in nasa se, but the cars are not very unlimited. AI cars with open tires and wider wheels.

we occasionally have a pretty good aix race in nasa se, but the cars are not very unlimited. AI cars with open tires and wider wheels.

So, cars that would probably fit well into ST2?

I think it is limited, but next year at mid ohio I am sure there will be a field of 10 plus. I couldnt make it to utah as my wife and i just had a baby on sept 8th.

Theres 3-4 aix signed up for the watkins glen race in oct.

I see the four cars at Watkins Glen. If the truck doctor tells me the patient is ok tomorrow, then I might make it 5 for WG. That doesnt mean that I have an AIX car, though. I have an FR500C. Its far from unlimited.

I don't think it makes sense to make any whole sale evaluations about car counts in any class, when the economy is down as bad as it is.

09 was a crappy economic year as well. I hope the guys at the top of NASA don't evaluate the car counts at Miller the last two years and decide not to go back. Just some very poor timing. That is an awesome facility and the best track I've ever been on. In a normal economy I think 09 and 10 are huge years at Miller. Please go back again.

You might be right, but its possible that the economy just made a poor situation worse. My understanding was Miller was an offering to the west coast strong hold on NASA. Trying to be fair to the west by rotating the national event out west.

There have been those that were concerned from the beginning that Miller was in fact still too far from the west coast to be viable for a large number of the coastal drivers while being WAY too far for much of the east coast drivers.

There is a fair chance that next year the economy will remain tough. If the thats the case and the car count remains down, then your theory would seem to be on target. IF the car counts jump up, then not so much.

We have seen larger AI car counts for regional events in the SE and MA than what showed up at Miller. I am not sure thats a good sign for the event in Utah.

I don't think it's that simple. Regardless of the economy, most likely there would be more drivers at MO then there was at Miller, simply because MO has a huge regional presents that has been established for decades. It's mush easier and/or less expensive for more drivers to make the trip to MO. Miller is only a few years old, and does not have the populous in close proximity to pull from. Nor does it have the history and large following. But reputation and history has to start somewhere, but a crappy economy typically is a tough time to branch out. So, again, I think it was bad luck on the timing. Going to a new venue, that requires more people to travel further is a tall order, but the economy completely sucked the life out of that plan. 09 appeared to be close or equal to previous championships. However, I was surprised that more west coast drivers weren't there 09. 2010 was definately down, but this is the worst economy since the depression. Discretionary income is gone for many, and may not be back for some time. So, attempting to make comparisons is not real.

Believe me when I say the track and facility are worth the trip.

Believe me when I say the track and facility are worth the trip.

Would have disagreed with you 100% until I had a chance to spend a week out there. If NASA returns in 2013, I will make the 4,000 round trip and not even gripe one bit.

On another note, Rob, aside from Rocco, do we even have another car that is a viable competitor for Mr. Griswold?

Most of the other AIX cars I have seen are in AIX because of the HP#'s throwing them out of AI. I think the class should be left alone and if someone wants to go play in the pond, they better be prepared to swim with the big fish.

On another note, Rob, aside from Rocco, do we even have another car that is a viable competitor for Mr. Griswold?

Of course. The guy who built the original AIX turbo Mustang, Paul Faessler.

I'm sure there are more competitive AIX guys in the country, but the guys I now are, Chris Griswold. , Paul Brown, Paul Faessler and Ernesto Rocco. If all four of these guys were on track at the same time and running well, it would be an awesome race. They have all shown some serious speed at various times. We just need to get them all on track and at peak performance. Add the few others that I'm missing and you have some great racing.

The biggest problem is participation, and with that I mean that we have probably ten to notch AIX cars here on the West Coast but when only one or two show up it not very enticing for the other racers to scramble to get their car done for the race.

I think NASA is a bit to blame, you can't just sit and wait for racers who spent a lot of money to just show up today, their are now tons of events like Red Line and other time trail event that gathers a lot more attention then your local NASA race.

Face it we all like to see our cars on TV and in magazines and today I don't see that happen anymore with NASA.

Of course with the economy in the tank the racers carefully select where to spend their money.

Cheers

The biggest problem is participation, and with that I mean that we have probably ten to notch AIX cars here on the West Coast but when only one or two show up it not very enticing for the other racers to scramble to get their car done for the race.

I think NASA is a bit to blame, you can't just sit and wait for racers who spent a lot of money to just show up today, their are now tons of events like Red Line and other time trail event that gathers a lot more attention then your local NASA race.

Face it we all like to see our cars on TV and in magazines and today I don't see that happen anymore with NASA.

Of course with the economy in the tank the racers carefully select where to spend their money.

Cheers

I'll respectfully disagree. If anyone in amateur racing is looking for notoriety outside of our own little community, then I think it's going to be a long wait. Yes, most of us are ego maniacs, but short of other amereur racers, I don't think you'll find much notoriety. An occasional magazine will do articles once in a while, but only other racing geeks care.

As an example, I race AI. So, regarding Nationals, I know who won AI, AIX and CMC, (and the only reason a followed CMC is becuase a friend and fellow racer from the midwest was running) but after that I have no idea who did what in other classes. I like to watch other races when I'm at the track, but only vaguely know who's who. I'm a fellow racer and I don't follow other classes. How are others outside of racing going to get excited enough to care?

If anyone who has spent the kind of money it takes to be competitive in AIX, and wants to be noticed, they can go race in WC or Grand Am. Then the rest of us amateurs who haven't made the jump to pro (or semi-pro) can watch, because not too many non racers follow either. Just saying !!

In my opinion, time trial events aren't even close to the thrill of w2w. Drivers will come and go, that's just the nature of any hobby, and especially true of the real expensive ones.

I'll put my NASA pom-poms down, and just say, I think they doing as well or better then most.

edit spelling

Edited by Guest

I'm sure there are more competitive AIX guys in the country, but the guys I now are, Chris Griswold. , Paul Brown, Paul Faessler and Ernesto Rocco. If all four of these guys were on track at the same time and running well, it would be an awesome race. They have all shown some serious speed at various times. We just need to get them all on track and at peak performance. Add the few others that I'm missing and you have some great racing.

No disrespect intended. But I left off Elliot Fisher. He was giving Chris G hell last year at Nationals, prior to his spindle failure. So, that's atleast 5 that I'm aware of, and I'm sure there are more. Just need to get these guys all at one event. Last year at Nationals looked promising for some serious racing, but a few mechanicals and Elliots suspension failure left the door open for big show town to come. Nationals 2011 ??

i will be at nationals 2011, in a car built for aix. not the same power as chris g, but similar power to anyone running a aix prepared n/a car, maybe a few more.

Like everyone is saying, lets get everyone together at the nationals.

i can't wait for watkins glen.

Heres my car

web.jpg?ver=12850248000001

i will be at nationals 2011, in a car built for aix. not the same power as chris g, but similar power to anyone running a aix prepared n/a car, maybe a few more.

Like everyone is saying, lets get everyone together at the nationals.

i can't wait for watkins glen.

Heres my car

web.jpg?ver=12850248000001

Very cool,

Cheers

Awesome car. I've secretly want't to build an early Camaro race car. That is very nice.

Any more pictures you can share with the rest of the class (pun intended)