Power to Weight "range" ?

j0oftheworld

I was wondering if this has been discussed or if anyone can help me out here..

My car is an E30 w. a swap and was classed by Greg for TTC.

I'm wanting to take out weight as part of my remaining points but would obviously have to have it re-classed after doing so. I emailed him seeing if he could give me a new weight for say TTC* but wasn't sure if this is even possible.

Seems like its backwards to do something and then re-class only to find out you're too too light.

Right now I'm 13:1 and I don't really understand how my PTW # would weigh in on a re-class.

Right now I'm TTC @ 2550lbs (comp) 195hp/175trq and ideally would like to be lighter and am okay w. taking the 7 points for it (TTC*) towards my eventual "maxed out TTC+19" build.

Thanks for any help/comments!

This isn't official, but I think it is possible for Greg to give you either your base class, minimum competition weight, or WHP if you provide him with any 2 of those; it's likely just a matter of solving the equation for 1 variable if you know what the other 2 are.

If your adjusted weight/horsepower ratio is 13:1, then you would be fine for TTC, as the minimum there is 12:1. However, the adjusted weight/horsepower ratio is only a check that you perform after you add up all modification points. You may or may not ever be able to optimize your weight/horsepower ratio for your class while keeping the points low enough to stay in the class, and vice-versa.

This may or may not be helpful to you:

6.1.2 Minimum Adjusted Weight/Power Ratios for each Class

Each class has been assigned a minimum “Adjusted” weight/power ratio. Regardless of how many points a car has, or which base class it begins in, it may not exceed the minimum “Adjusted” weight/power ratio for its competition class. Any vehicle found competing with an “Adjusted” weight/power ratio less than the minimum level assigned below will be disqualified, and additional penalties may be assessed.

Note that Greg is "the man" when it comes to this, as only he is privy to the re-classification equations. He also knows The Colonel's secret recipe of 11 herbs and spices, as well as the formula for Coca-Cola.

Mark

I guess I'm just wondering if there's a way to figure out min weight w/out sending Greg 20 emails w. 10lbs increments until I hit a new base class of TTC* ?

I'm using small tires and have 10 perf points.. so now all I need to do is remove some weight!

Thanks for the help.. I'm sure it'll get sorted eventually.

I guess I'm just wondering if there's a way to figure out min weight w/out sending Greg 20 emails w. 10lbs increments until I hit a new base class of TTC* ?

Try this:

"Greg, my (insert car name here) makes 195 rwhp / 175 rwtq and I want it to reclass as TTC*. What does it need to weigh?"

Mark

Mark's got it - that'll work just fine!

Heck you can get more complex if you want, this is what I sent in effectively:

My 1994 Toyota MR2 can weigh 2657 including 3x25lb ballast plates. What whp can I be at for the base weight, minus 1 plate, minus 2 plates, and minus 3 plates for TTF/PTF with one asterix base class at each of those weight levels?

A couple days later I was given 4 different whp numbers.

Off to the dyno I went

Try this:

"Greg, my (insert car name here) makes 195 rwhp / 175 rwtq and I want it to reclass as TTC*. What does it need to weigh?"

Mark

That's what I'm hoping for and have already asked him, but since I haven't seen this written anywhere, and even contradicts your original reply of needed 2 of 3 variables I wanted to ask if it's possible.

Thanks.. I'll wait patiently for his reply!

Kbrew, I feel you.. I got my car classed as it sits and started TT'ing as most probably do.. Later realizing I've got a TON of points to use and perf. parts cost $$$.. weight savings is FREE.

For those interested:

1989 BMW 325is (1994 325i M50 motor)

Max Dynojet # 195hp 175ft/lbs

Comp weight = 2550

Base class TTC

Perf. Points:

+7 Toyos

-7 225/50

+3 E36 Trans

+3 Bilstein Shocks

+2 H&R Springs

+2 Sway Bars

TTC + 10 points

I'm adding a point for rear trailing arm slots/adjusters soon so I still have 8 points to use.

TTC* + my points above would be perfect almost. I've heard of some 2100lbs E30's out there but "I'll" never weight less than 200lbs so something 2300-2400 would be $$

...and even contradicts your original reply of needed 2 of 3 variables I wanted to ask if it's possible.

^^^ Huh? What's contradictory? This is what I'm talking about:

Possible variables: Horsepower, Weight, TT reclass; You know: Horsepower, TT reclass; Ask Greg to solve for: Weight

or

Possible variables: Horsepower, Weight, TT reclass; You know: Horsepower, weight; Ask Greg to solve for: TT reclass

or

Possible variables: Horsepower, Weight, TT reclass; You know: Weight, TT reclass; Ask Greg to solve for: Horsepower

Any of the above combinations should be possible with Greg, but check with him via email to be sure.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

For those who were helping/interested, Greg has gotten back to me and my min weight for TTC* is 2465#

So I'm right @ 12.45 p/w

I'm happy w. that.. Now, where's my grinder!? :P

For those who were helping/interested, Greg has gotten back to me and my min weight for TTC* is 2465#

So I'm right @ 12.45 p/w

Getting a E30 to 2465 ought to be interesting. Love to see what you do...

So I'm right @ 12.45 p/w

Am I missing something here? I'm sure I am.

You have the authority to now shave 85lbs at the cost of seven points? At +1 for each 15lbs, that equates to about +6 if you rounded up.

Did you lose a point for bothering Greg?

HAHA.. he probably did!

I can't see how a Doctor has time to deal w. all of us!?

My first racecar was an SM:

IMG_0971.JPG

The E30 is going to be whatever I want it to be kinda thing.. no "rules".. well partly!

Being in TTC is cheap but when the 24v motor goes it's L$x time!!

So I'm right @ 12.45 p/w

Am I missing something here? I'm sure I am.

You have the authority to now shave 85lbs at the cost of seven points? At +1 for each 15lbs, that equates to about +6 if you rounded up.

Did you lose a point for bothering Greg?

well there's the whole "you can run this swap in a class lower than TTS now" thing....

• National Staff
HAHA.. he probably did!

I can't see how a Doctor has time to deal w. all of us!?

I've got plenty of time to sleep when I'm dead