Glock Guru

Any chance to visit Barber in 2011

robbodleimages

Everything is relative. I am one of those NC folks. I live on the east coast. Barber is 12 hours for me and I do it. Because I love Golden Rule. The track I can do without.

Fact are facts. Attendance at Barber has been about on par with CMP at three times the cost. The track as mentioned is does not allow those with convertables to participate in HPDE any longer and that is a further hit to attendance. There are many NASA SE participants on the coast of NC, SC and GA. Its a really long haul for those people. Long hauls generally mean taking more time off from work.

Many of the regular participants in NASA SE do so by leaving for the track Friday after work and towing all the way home Sunday after the event. Long hauls mean needing all of Friday and perhaps Monday for the travel. Those that can't do that are eliminated as potential customers.

Its a fact of life.

Other clubs that thrive at Barber are those that have far bigger participation from more local markets. We have few attendees from Nashville for instance.

kbrew8991

a bit of cross promotion goes a long way. It might be far for folks like Rob but people like me in Houston (and closer) would show. Some probably don't just from the simple fact they don't know about it...

trhoads

dumb question amnesty....what is this Golden Rule that keeps getting mentioned...

King Tut

I don't understand this feeling that if it ain't GA, SC, or NC it ain't the Southeast. If you don't want to make the drive that is fine, but maybe people living in Mississippi dont want to drive to NC but they will attend this new event in NOLA. The fact is the Southeast is a large region and covers many states, so it would be nice to see some events in AL, MS, and LA.

Firebird Man
I don't understand this feeling that if it ain't GA, SC, or NC it ain't the Southeast. If you don't want to make the drive that is fine, but maybe people living in Mississippi dont want to drive to NC but they will attend this new event in NOLA. The fact is the Southeast is a large region and covers many states, so it would be nice to see some events in AL, MS, and LA.

Maybe the Florida region should be expanded to take in LA, MS and maybe AL. Change it to the "Gulf Region"

The Southeast is probably to big geographically to handle being a one division series region due to all the issues brought up. We're all amateur racers, 4-5 day events due to travel distance on a regular basis just can't happen for most of us.

Varkwso
dumb question amnesty....what is this Golden Rule that keeps getting mentioned...

BBQ place. I have been eating it since 1958...it has had several locations in the same general area.

Barber is a love or hate track. The locals love it. I like it since my family is in the area. I love the views, do not care for the paddock, love the on track gas prices, not fond of the track/paddock Nazis but go there when I can.

It favors small bore cars and 911s. My old CMC Mustang loved it.

kbrew8991

Texas is much better suited to take LA, if they want it that is.

robbodleimages

i think you are taking the wrong things from what i am saying. the nasa se core attendance comes from a large group of people in the major population centers where the races initially were available. charlotte(cmp) and atlanta(road atlanta). Roebling was an easy haul from both.

the fact is that that geographic area is FAR better developed attendee wise than areas outside of that zone. Alabama and Tennessee for instance. So, when you want to add a track in Birmingham to that group, you drive outside of the sphere of the large group of customers and require an influx of new customers from the new area.

In other words, the reason barber is tough to make work is that there are fewer customers local to the venue. more people have to travel a longer distance. people that live in atlanta area dont travel to road atlanta they are there. do we have a large number of birmingham people in our group?

not to my knowledge.

If it were me, as VIR is the nearest track to where I live, I'd like for us to run VIR. I know that wont happen either. One more thing. From my house Daytona, Sebring and Watkins Glen are closer than Barber.

Golden Rule is the best BBQ place I know of.

robbodleimages
Texas is much better suited to take LA, if they want it that is.

very true. besides. people in Tejas are much more used to traveling distance to get somewhere.

jason

Those of us on the outskirts region hop. Sucks for season points. From ETN, it's closer to go to VIR, Mid-O, and Putnam than it is CMP and Roebling.

Firebird Man
One more thing. From my house Daytona, Sebring and Watkins Glen are closer than Barber.

I might concede Daytona, but Sebring and WG?

Granted, none are close. You are in the middle of nowhere, then make a right.

robbodleimages

from new bern nc.

watkins glen 11.5 hours

sebring 11.0 hours.

daytona 10.0 hours.

mid ohio 12 hours

barber 12 hours

road atlanta 8 hours

vir is 3 hours. thats as close as they get for me.

mhoward1
from new bern nc.

watkins glen 11.5 hours

sebring 11.0 hours.

daytona 10.0 hours.

mid ohio 12 hours

barber 12 hours

road atlanta 8 hours

vir is 3 hours. thats as close as they get for me.

take a look at NCCAR.

No racing, but a fun track.

robbodleimages

yea, its closer. but i have a limited budget. I race. i limit my track time to my racing. if i do a non racing weekend, then it has to be at a race track that i race on as a learning experience.

i was going to bring my mustang up this weekend, but my F350 is at the turbo doctor getting fixed and may not be ready til monday.

so...we will see.

mhoward1
yea, its closer. but i have a limited budget. I race. i limit my track time to my racing. if i do a non racing weekend, then it has to be at a race track that i race on as a learning experience.

i was going to bring my mustang up this weekend, but my F350 is at the turbo doctor getting fixed and may not be ready til monday.

so...we will see.

Here's was NCCAR is good for...testing. The track is really set up for Chassis Dynamics, suspension setup, and braking tests. It's also available at least one day a week for $50 hour shared track rental. Heck, that's cheaper than Karting. A couple of us are thinking about renting it for a couple of hours soon.

robbodleimages

so...we will see.

Here's was NCCAR is good for...testing. The track is really set up for Chassis Dynamics, suspension setup, and braking tests. It's also available at least one day a week for $50 hour shared track rental. Heck, that's cheaper than Karting. A couple of us are thinking about renting it for a couple of hours soon.

Let me know

Golin
We are talking to a new track in New Orleans... details soon!

My wife would love this, so that means I could definitely go, even if it is a 10 hour drive from Charlotte. Please get this sorted out!

GT

Edit: Barber was designed for motorcycles, so while it works OK for cars, it's like a grander version of Little Tally. The facilities are nice, and it's got a fantastic museum, but for my dollar, I'll have more FUN at CMP that I would at BMP.

Shawn T.
... but maybe people living in Mississippi dont want to drive to NC but they will attend this new event in NOLA. The fact is the Southeast is a large region and covers many states, so it would be nice to see some events in AL, MS, and LA.

Maybe it is time for a new NASA Region: Mid-South

We will take Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana, Kentucky. Anyone have a large chunk of change to go in with me to buy Memphis Motorsports Park?

http://www.memphismotorsportsparkforsale.com/

We can start with Memphis, Nashville, Barber in Birmingham, the track in New Orleans. I promise to not put any track on the schedule that is not at least 50% complete the prior year...

mhoward1

I can see a Gulf Coast Region.

Varkwso

I could see a Mid-South It is s franchise I think...

robbodleimages

not enough tracks. really. i dont know anyone that likes the road course at nashville. the transitions are bone breakers.

Varkwso
not enough tracks. really. i dont know anyone that likes the road course at nashville. the transitions are bone breakers.

The transiston is better then Rockingham and on par with CMS.

Lemming

Edit: Barber was designed for motorcycles, so while it works OK for cars, it's like a grander version of Little Tally.

Yea, that's why Indy and Grand-Am run at Barber. Let's see, is CMP on their schedule?

Varkwso

Edit: Barber was designed for motorcycles, so while it works OK for cars, it's like a grander version of Little Tally.

Yea, that's why Indy and Grand-Am run at Barber. Let's see, is CMP on their schedule?

That is relevant how?

Lemming

That is relevant how?

First Barber was not specifically designed for motorcycles, just ask Mr. Barber. He had every intention of running both bikes and cars when he built the place. He did not publicly state that at the beginning because there was an incredible amount of opposition to the track from the neighbors (I know, I was one of the neighbors at that time and refused to sign the petition to keep the facility from being built). So his tact was to state that the track would only be used for vintage motorcycle racing a few times per year

Now, let's see, that statement was that Barber is a grander version of Little Tally and is only ok for cars If it's only ok for cars, why would two major racing leagues bother to run there? Why would Porsche relocate it's driving school to Barber? Yes, part of it has to do with the outstanding facilities/infrastructure that allow for those events, but it's also because it's a fantastic race track for cars.

I know that the high HP guys do not like it, but that will change in the future. I've seen the drawings for a very long backstraight that will allow you guys to pass the slower cars in the only place you can