Glock Guru

Any chance to visit Barber in 2011

robbodleimages

Edit: Barber was designed for motorcycles, so while it works OK for cars, it's like a grander version of Little Tally.

Yea, that's why Indy and Grand-Am run at Barber. Let's see, is CMP on their schedule?

indy and grand am run there in part because the facility is top notch and because barber recruited the races. Lets just say that its not ideal.

Robin Miller on the IRL race.

RM: Granted, Barber wasn't like watching an oval race in terms of passing and dueling but, as I've stated earlier, considering this track was built for motorcycles,.....

RM: I asked George Barber after the race and he said he's sit down with the IndyCar people but he didn't think there was any reason to make changes. The drivers, however, would like to see a straightaway or a braking zone because it could greatly enhance what turned out to be a good show. Don't know about grandstands, most of the spectators seemed to like the hills and trees.

Varkwso

Edit: Barber was designed for motorcycles, so while it works OK for cars, it's like a grander version of Little Tally.

Yea, that's why Indy and Grand-Am run at Barber. Let's see, is CMP on their schedule?

indy and grand am run there in part because the facility is top notch and because barber recruited the races. Lets just say that its not ideal.

Robin Miller on the IRL race.

RM: Granted, Barber wasn't like watching an oval race in terms of passing and dueling but, as I've stated earlier, considering this track was built for motorcycles,.....

RM: I asked George Barber after the race and he said he's sit down with the IndyCar people but he didn't think there was any reason to make changes. The drivers, however, would like to see a straightaway or a braking zone because it could greatly enhance what turned out to be a good show. Don't know about grandstands, most of the spectators seemed to like the hills and trees.

It was because olden Rule is close

robbodleimages

i remember andretti/green was doing the first indycar test at barber and they would not let us in til after dark. we went to golden rule for dinner in the mean time and i recall seeing danica patrick and marco andretti's haulers go by on the interstate.

Varkwso
.....That is relevant how?

fantastic race track for cars.

I know that the high HP guys do not like it, but that will change in the future. I've seen the drawings for a very long backstraight that will allow you guys to pass the slower cars in the only place you can

YGBSM. The Leonards and Turner only pass on the straight there?

Golin

Wow, I think this was my first negatively referenced comment. I think I have truly arrived here in the SE!

Anyway, I may have been a little hyperbolic as far as Barber= TGP+Bigger, but it's just about as point and shoot as CMP.

Plus I imagine that CMP isn't on big time racing schedules for many reasons, but certainly Barber has FAR better facilities and Barber has spent a lot of time and energy recruiting at least the IRL, if not GA.

Barber is a fun track, I enjoy driving it, and I was probably overly critical before. However, it feels like that room my Aunt always had that was set up real nice like a living room, but that I could never go into. There just seem to be too many rules, and it seems very like a very grudging acceptance of us club racers. It's just not as FUN as running at RA or CMP or CMS. Maybe I'm just too blue collar, but Barber feels like a dinner party where I should be serving guests, not actually one of them, and I think they like it that way.

GT

DDO

Barber is a fun track, I enjoy driving it, and I was probably overly critical before. However, it feels like that room my Aunt always had that was set up real nice like a living room, but that I could never go into. There just seem to be too many rules, and it seems very like a very grudging acceptance of us club racers. It's just not as FUN as running at RA or CMP or CMS. Maybe I'm just too blue collar, but Barber feels like a dinner party where I should be serving guests, not actually one of them, and I think they like it that way.

GT

I got that impression too and I have not even put a tire on that track yet.

kbrew8991

at least they don't charge you for grass damage anymore

robbodleimages

its like playing a round of golf and getting a bill to replace your divots.

mcmmotorsports
at least they don't charge you for grass damage anymore

sign0177.gif

LMan
... but maybe people living in Mississippi dont want to drive to NC but they will attend this new event in NOLA. The fact is the Southeast is a large region and covers many states, so it would be nice to see some events in AL, MS, and LA.

Maybe it is time for a new NASA Region: Mid-South

We will take Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana, Kentucky. Anyone have a large chunk of change to go in with me to buy Memphis Motorsports Park?

http://www.memphismotorsportsparkforsale.com/

We can start with Memphis, Nashville, Barber in Birmingham, the track in New Orleans. I promise to not put any track on the schedule that is not at least 50% complete the prior year...

The NASA Mothership is always looking for new Regional Directors with a vision....want to give it a try?

(Im in Alabama, so I'll help ya out)

mcmmotorsports

Actually, they should call it the NASA Deep South Region

Little_nicky.jpg

Mberglo
... but maybe people living in Mississippi dont want to drive to NC but they will attend this new event in NOLA. The fact is the Southeast is a large region and covers many states, so it would be nice to see some events in AL, MS, and LA.

We will take Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana, Kentucky. Anyone have a large chunk of change to go in with me to buy Memphis Motorsports Park?

We can start with Memphis, Nashville, Barber in Birmingham, the track in New Orleans. I promise to not put any track on the schedule that is not at least 50% complete the prior year...

The NASA Mothership is always looking for new Regional Directors with a vision....want to give it a try?

I'll help too.

Mberglo

Barber is a great track for cars. I like it better than Road Atlanta or VIR or any other track I've been on. I like a technical track that takes some skill to get around. If you want straights, try drag racing.

05CobraR doesn't like it because he's not fast there and he smashed his car into a wall after he failed to negotiate a turn. I'm glad they have good barbeque sandwiches for him though.

NASA SE is great, but it is concentrated in North Carolina. I would support a new region like Shawn suggested.

Falcon
Barber is a great track for cars. I like it better than Road Atlanta or VIR or any other track I've been on. I like a technical track that takes some skill to get around. If you want straights, try drag racing.

By the same token, if you want an autocross course try a Walmart parking lot.

drivinhardz06

The long straight at VIR and RA are there to catch your breath, change adult diapers, and allow you to briefly ponder how you might die in the next set of corners.

robbodleimages

05CobraR doesn't like it because he's not fast there and he smashed his car into a wall after he failed to negotiate a turn. I'm glad they have good barbeque sandwiches for him though.

NASA SE is great, but it is concentrated in North Carolina. I would support a new region like Shawn suggested.

dude...dont put words in my mouth. deal? i have crashed at road atlanta more often than the once at barber. you think that is why i dont like barber?

ive said it before. its great for track cars. its not so great for high hp racing. there's a difference.

Racing is passing. There is one legit passing zone on that track.

cwbaader

Barber is a track for cars that carry corner speed, not necessarily high horsepower cars. If you think it is point and shoot, you are doing it wrong. CB

robbodleimages

if you are going to race a championship series, different kinds of tracks are a good idea. i always love when debate is about a twisty track like barber when you get the "i like technical tracks" jump in. technical=hard. road atlanta/vir-straightaways=easy.

twisty and braking and heavy v8 cars are not always the best package, but i'll do it. i do cmp and roebling and have done barber.

the reason barber does not attract enough attendance is partly its distance. partly its expense. partly that its not friendly to HPDE and Time Trial guys with Corvettes and Vipers and Mustangs. When my car never gets out of 3rd gear, it feels more like an auto cross. There are some guys that dont like that. They dont show up.

Shawn T.

I'll help too.

Looks like we might be on to something...

robbodleimages

i encourage you. i think you will find that barber will want a track record of well run events before they will rent you the track. a couple years of nashville and memphis, say. keep that in mind.

i would go to nashville for an event, btw.

Lemming

Racing is passing. There is one legit passing zone on that track.

You have got to be kidding! I've made passes in every corner on that track. Here's a vid from the last NASA run. I was running up front and we got a red flag, car would not start do to a dumb human (me). I go from up front to the rear of the pack. Most fun race I've had and passes in many of the corners. Skip the first 50 seconds while I try to get my cars started. http://www.vimeo.com/4942882

If you can only pass in one corner at Barber, then I can understand why you don't like it

robbodleimages

i was referring to what the indycar drivers were talking about. you can pass me several spots on that track.

Lemming
i was referring to what the indycar drivers were talking about. you can pass me several spots on that track.

You left it hanging, someone had to pick that fruit

robbodleimages

I dont have enough laps there to even know my way around. Tell me that I am wrong, though. The two main reasons that NASA attendance at that facility is low are the distance from the main region membership and V8 car drivers don't enjoy it because of the layout.

Same complaints that CMP sees except that its central to the membership population.

Lemming

I do not remember the last NASA event at Barber as small. The lightning race had 42 racers and thunder had 43. Oh, don't forget the radicals there were 16. Time trials had 40 drivers as well. I believe that HPDE 1-4 was sold out. So, tell me, are those low numbers?

I do not believe the driver numbers have anything to do with why NASA-SE is not going back to Barber!