Glock Guru

Any chance to visit Barber in 2011

robbodleimages

Racers show up because they have to. If they are points racing, they can only miss so much. Jim makes his nut on DE attendance. Barber doesnt allow convertables and the big horsepower DE cars dont show up much either.

As for the race attendance. Barber costs more than Road Atlanta from what I understand and Barber up til the economy changed things, the old normal at RA was three run race groups and 130+ entries.

Barber attendance is closer to a Roebling Road attendance which costs about half of what Barber costs.

Lemming
Racers show up because they have to. If they are points racing, they can only miss so much. Jim makes his nut on DE attendance. Barber doesnt allow convertables and the big horsepower DE cars dont show up much either.

As for the race attendance. Barber costs more than Road Atlanta from what I understand and Barber up til the economy changed things, the old normal at RA was three run race groups and 130+ entries.

Barber attendance is closer to a Roebling Road attendance which costs about half of what Barber costs.

Like I said, it's not about the attendance, its about the profit margin and Barber is lower, no doubt.

As for your assertion that convertibles are not allowed, that's just BS. Verts are allowed with a rollbar, and many stock verts are ok, I have instructed in quite a few at Barber with a number of clubs.

And again, I'm pretty sure that HPDE was sold out at the last Barber event, and they do not have to show up for points.

Last but not least, attendance was so good this year that our local PCA is increasing from 2 to 3 DE's next year. We are not like many PCA clubs, all makes of cars are welcome and we offer greater track time per dollar than most. Sign up early as we have been selling out quickly.

Edited by Guest

robbodleimages

maybe, it was barber not being happy with nasa and not wanting us back.

Lemming

That has happened before, Roebling Road comes to mind.

Gilles

I loved the wide smooth surface at Barber... I was there with NASA in 2009 and 2008... I would love to go there every year.

If BMW oktoberfest is there in 2011, that's great news.

mcmmotorsports

No, we are not going back to Barber because Barber increased their rental rate substantially.

LMan

That has happened before, Roebling Road comes to mind.

No way!

Sidney

For what it's worth...Barber is considered a "Destination" track and should have a good crossover if kept on the schedule regularly. We'd bring 5 or 6 cars in 2011 if it was on the SE schedule.

Sidney Franklin

Midwest Region

sperkins

Guess we're all spoiled here in the SE.

I bet we'd have a record turnout at Barber if they closed Rd Atl.

robbodleimages

depending on the success of atlanta motorsports park. once that actually opens why leave georgia at all. road atlanta, amp, roebling.

Lucid Moments
depending on the success of atlanta motorsports park. once that actually opens why leave georgia at all. road atlanta, amp, roebling.

Works for me.

LopRacer

I loved driving at Barber, I didn't like driving to Barber, didn't care too much for having to take a 4 day weekend to be a volunteer worker at Barber, we have to recall that most of our volunteer worker and instuctor base is in NC,SC, Ga, and Barber can be a real haul for us, some of us work subsistence jobs and/or are in school full time taking several days off for travel to and from is not really in the cards. That aside, I don't Barber being on the NASA-SE schedule any time soon for all the previously stated reasons. It's pricey, they have some strange rules for convertables (roll bars, race seats harnesses and arm restraints required, no s2000 factory roll hoops accepable, and all porsche factory roll hoops exempt from above rules for obvous reason (Porsche drivers school home track). The safety items are all a good idea but not always installed in the average hpde miata. We just had too many issues.

jason

Everyone cites the "customer base" being centered around NC, but is that a cause or an effect?

robbodleimages

cause and effect? sure. road atlanta, cmp and roebling road are the track foundation of nasa se. plus the now dropped rockingham. going to florida or alabama or virginia is all expanding to new territory.

so when trying to establish barber as a viable track nasa se has to travel with its course workers and voluntee staff because they have only marginal personel not out of the foundation zone. its true of the customers as well.

Lemming

You guys will love the drive the Louisiana

kbrew8991
You guys will love the flight the Louisiana

fixified - I betcha they don't drive there

King Tut
Everyone cites the "customer base" being centered around NC, but is that a cause or an effect?

Very good point.

robbodleimages

I am not sure what you expect.

Varkwso

Does anyone, besides me, remember the season ending banquet NASA-SE had at Barber using their specified caterers? Nowhere near enough chairs or food for the contracted amount of people.

It was a cluster and it was not NASA-SE's fault. That was a first year experience. To be fair I have seen the same thing at VIR with other orgs using the "host site contractor".

Firebird Man

Very good point.

Given the population density from Atlanta to Greenville to Charlotte to Columbia I'd venture that's the largest member area as well as the largest SE population center.

Jim probably has a spread sheet of it somewhere

Get us that track in Gaffney SC and I'm good without the long hauls.

I'd do the 4-5 haul maybe once or twice but not every race every year, definitely not 8-10+ except for nationals.

Gaffney 45 minutes

Road Atlanta 2 hours

AMP 2 1/2 hours?

CMP 3 hours

Roebling 4 hours

VIR 4 1/2

Barber 5 hours

If the SE were to expand to far reaching tracks I think attendence will be down at the furthest tracks, at least for SE region drivers. Probably lose 2-3 for every one gained.

Edited by Guest

LMan

Well, Road Atlanta is our main 'destination track' so it makes sense that the rest progresses from that starting point. You can call that our 'center of gravity' if you will, which will become even more true when AMP is completed. Or, since all the equipment is based out of Mt Pleasant, you can find a spot midway between Mt P and Atlanta and call that the CG. Jim has made the investment in the rig/equipment, and that's where it will reside.

It's common sense that the further one gets from the region's 'center of gravity', expenses/disadvantages increase and thus the threshold for going there increases proportionally. The threshold for BMP would always be somewhat higher just based on those factors alone, all else being equal. Now, throw in the BMP additional rental costs, high-maintenance track rules and officials, etc and its a pretty easy call.

Jim has asked several times in the past about who's willing to pay a not-insignificantly-more entry fee to go to BMP, and I dont recall what the response was, or if there was anything resembling a consensus. But then, people on a forum can promise all sorts of stuff from behind a keyboard and never show up when its time to put down real money...not slamming anyone, that's just fact.

Jim can't make business decisions with big dollar signs attached based on rumor and the internet equivalent of a bar discussion. Fact again.

I'm saying that as someone from Alabama (the regional 'fringe') who would love, from a logisticial standpoint, to see more events this way....but I understand the economics involved.

gimpstang

Also, just a reminder to everyone posting up asking for Barber to be put back on the schedule. We had the same scenario for Roebling last year. Jim put it on the schedule and guess what? It was one of our lowest turnout events. People asking for tracks doesn't always equate to people going to tracks.

Matt

robbodleimages
Also, just a reminder to everyone posting up asking for Barber to be put back on the schedule. We had the same scenario for Roebling last year. Jim put it on the schedule and guess what? It was one of our lowest turnout events. People asking for tracks doesn't always equate to people going to tracks.

Matt

Jim's schedule didn't come together as he might have hoped. The Roebling date was not confirmed til after he had to commit to other dates. So, NASA SE ended up with four events in a 6 week period. The RRR date was the last one to be confirmed.

I would expect that RRR would be reasonably strong for that date next year.

Varkwso

Matt

Jim's schedule didn't come together as he might have hoped. The Roebling date was not confirmed til after he had to commit to other dates. So, NASA SE ended up with four events in a 6 week period. The RRR date was the last one to be confirmed.

I would expect that RRR would be reasonably strong for that date next year.

Hopefully Roebling will be consistent. Back when there were two events a year the second one was low turnout. It was a good crossover with Florida. In 2010 it conflicted with one of their scheduled events.