Glock Guru

Any chance to visit Barber in 2011

kbrew8991

scheduling is a tough job - I'm glad I don't do it

Gilles

I just saw the BMWCCA will have Oktoberfest 2011 there...

Saweeet.....

Firebird Man
The Roebling date was not confirmed til after he had to commit to other dates. So, NASA SE ended up with four events in a 6 week period. The RRR date was the last one to be confirmed.

I would expect that RRR would be reasonably strong for that date next year.

It's on my plate for next season, not sure I'll like it but have to run it at least once.

robbodleimages

your car would be a lot of fun at roebling.

Varkwso
The Roebling date was not confirmed til after he had to commit to other dates. So, NASA SE ended up with four events in a 6 week period. The RRR date was the last one to be confirmed.

I would expect that RRR would be reasonably strong for that date next year.

It's on my plate for next season, not sure I'll like it but have to run it at least once.

Roebling is all about sweepers...

I will be at Barber in a couple weekends

Jim P.
Given the population density from Atlanta to Greenville to Charlotte to Columbia I'd venture that's the largest member area as well as the largest SE population center.

Jim probably has a spread sheet of it somewhere

I actually have a Google Earth diagram of it... and you hit the (google earth) pins on the head...

The diagram primarily centers around the I-85 -> I-20 -> I-77 triangle...

kbrew8991

the big question is if that is an affect of the tracks selected for events

- KB, who still has fingers crossed for the odd NASA SE / TX / whoever Barber event even though he's not the biggest fan of the track itself.

Lemming
the big question is if that is an affect of the tracks selected for events

- KB, who still has fingers crossed for the odd NASA SE / TX / whoever Barber event even though he's not the biggest fan of the track itself.

Come on over for the PBOC event in November. On Saturday you get: 30 min practice, 30 min qual, and 90 minute enduro. Sunday is a 30 min qual and two 30 minute sprints.

Mberglo
Everyone cites the "customer base" being centered around NC, but is that a cause or an effect?

It's a small part of the reason I sold my car and am now just a spectator. Having that much money and time invested in something that's too far away just ultimately didn't make sense. Being in North Alabama, I could only participate in Barber and Road Atlanta. That turned into just Road Atlanta when Barber was dropped. I made the trek to VIR and CMP once, but those are very long hauls. Heck, Road Atlanta is 6 hours, and it's the closest track (not including Barber). I'm not blaming Jim for the track locations. If I lived closer to the Center of Gravity, as LMan puts it, I might still be driving.

If NASA continues to grow, I could see a region that hit Barber, Memphis, Nashville, Gateway, and other tracks that lie in that "no man's land" currently. When that happens, I hope I'm in a position to get back in the game, cause I do miss it.

robbodleimages

travel can be hard. no doubt VIR is 3 hours and my nearest track. Its not NASA SE. If I want to race on a regular basis, my average haul is over 6hours.

If its not fun, dont do it. If the travel beats up and kills the fun, dont do it. If the costs hurts and kills the fun, dont do it.

I am probably going to do something a little different next season to bring more VIR into my mix and cut down my travel.

08Bullitt0572

Barber was my first track experience. I would love to go back and do it again now that I have more experience. It is nice that I have RA & AMP within easy driving distance. RR & CMP is more of a haul for me, but not too bad; Barber would be closer.

sperkins

Maybe with SCCA's new time trial format, they will go to Barber in '11.

I can't wait to go back there.

Varkwso

Not all SCCA regions do TT and not sure all will be using new format. There is resistance.

kbrew8991

did they finally relax their required safety equip back to a reasonable level? Whats new about the format as well...??

robbodleimages

What is a reasonable level for racing qualifying speed laps?

kbrew8991

arm restraints for a closed car is kinda, well, not really necessary for starters

I'd like to see NASA go to a 4pt rollbar, seat, harness minimum while we're at it but I've been barking up that tree since roughly 2005 with no headway. Sure the speeds are up there but its the car-to-car contact that really seems to cause the nasty race accidents. Not a factor in TT.

Personal responsibility must reign with no minimum requirements, luckily most are smart about this...

jason

It was the SCCA roll bar rule that brought me to NASA.

robbodleimages

Ken, I have to disagree. Some of the worse crashes that I've seen are brake failures. The famous Viper youtube clip at CMP.

I would imagine there are fewer crashed in TT than in the races. Part of that is the format and part of that is the goal. There are fewer crashes in qualifying than in races.

kbrew8991

and now you're one of those guys that's caging your car for PTA, right?

Varkwso

did they finally relax their required safety equip back to a reasonable level? Whats new about the format as well...??

That is what I was told at CMP by friends. Not sure if it is all regions.

4 pt does nothing in a C5/C6. My family has been in two totaled C5/6s at 100mph. Stock works.

kbrew8991

gotta look outside your particular car

Varkwso
gotta look outside your particular car

Trying to make point blanket rules are stupid.

jason

and now you're one of those guys that's caging your car for PTA, right?

Yup, for w2w. But if I was planning on staying strictly in TT I wouldn't be. TT was always a step on the ladder towards w2w for me.

There was not a middle step between autox and full-on w2w racing in the SCCA, so I started looking elsewhere. NASA TT fit that bill. And even if I had had the money to buy a full prepped car, I knew I was not even close to having the skills to mix it up on track in 400hp fiberglass rockets. Close competition in TT has been the training ground I was looking for.

Golin
Yup, for w2w. But if I was planning on staying strictly in TT I wouldn't be. TT was always a step on the ladder towards w2w for me.

There was not a middle step between autox and full-on w2w racing in the SCCA, so I started looking elsewhere. NASA TT fit that bill. And even if I had had the money to buy a full prepped car, I knew I was not even close to having the skills to mix it up on track in 400hp fiberglass rockets. Close competition in TT has been the training ground I was looking for.

:thumb:

Drumrboy
Ken, I have to disagree. Some of the worse crashes that I've seen are brake failures. The famous Viper youtube clip at CMP.

I would imagine there are fewer crashed in TT than in the races. Part of that is the format and part of that is the goal. There are fewer crashes in qualifying than in races.

To digress even further..... theYouTube clip referred to above was not brake failure....the driver never hit the brake.