automatics....does anyone use them?

icemang17

I know that you "can" run automatics in NASA....& there are some custom built cars out there that run them....but does anyone with a "touring" car use them...say like a Corvette or Camaro.... I would imagine the 6L80e paddle shifter would make a nice transmission on a road course....

You would need to do something pretty special to keep it cool over the course of a race. In a time trial, where you can control when you need to go fast, it would work... But you'd need to overcome the larger power loss of the auto too.

We set up my wife's Corvette A4 as a road course car. Much tuning, extra cooler, extra fluid volume, and it worked. Pretty well. She abandoned that effort though and now drives a manual. It's just too much power loss, especially when you need to pass someone.

You would need to do something pretty special to keep it cool over the course of a race. In a time trial, where you can control when you need to go fast, it would work... But you'd need to overcome the larger power loss of the auto too.

We set up my wife's Corvette A4 as a road course car. Much tuning, extra cooler, extra fluid volume, and it worked. Pretty well. She abandoned that effort though and now drives a manual. It's just too much power loss, especially when you need to pass someone.

Interesting....its also heavier too....I think the 6L80e are over 200lbs just for the trans.....

While I have had good luck with the Mercedes 4 speed auto in my 928...its not dealing with lots of power and a fairly light car too...