2011 Rules Silly Season - Closed

tacovini

robbodleimages

Its really pretty much all in the same chapter. The class has been run on 17x9 wheels which are correct for the narrower 275/40-17 RA1 Toyo. That was the wheels size commonly available in track quality wheels for these cars. This also is the tire size that Toyo can sell cheap.

The mfc have moved beyond 17" wheels and 13" brakes as their primary performance standards to 18" or larger and 14" brakes. The class rules have been adjusted to somewhat to allow for the newer cars. The 18" is legal, but not the 10" width. The 14" brakes are legal, but not widely used because the 18" wheel requires the move to 18" tires which as we have discusses is price prohibitive.

So long as the major of AI racers are running the older platform engineered for the small wheels and brake rotors, it will not be popular to further adjust the class rules to make things more comfortable for the new platform's engineering.

I would guess that as time moves the majority toward the newer stuff, that change will creep the rules a little further into the comfort zone for the newer chassis.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robbodleimages

• nape

• mcmmotorsports

• TurboShortBus

Otherwise from what I saw, you have whatever AI field shows up totally covered. It makes your tires much less of an issue. You are not worried about someone with a little tire advantage beating you.

That's not really the case. I'd hardly say "totally covered", we've been lucky and have run strong the last few years, but tires are exactly the issue. We (my dad, younger brother, and I) work the tires as hard as anyone out there. Log heat cycles, # of laps, pressures, wear patterns, rotating, alignment specs, etc. We do the most we can to make the tires last as long as we can and keep performance up.

The only reason I have new tires this year is because I ran it as hard as possible last year on older stuff and won them. That's why I'm a little sour on people complaining about $80/tire and not running AI when they're spending $1000+/set on tires anyway. Three years ago, I used to buy tires that might last a weekend before they corded just so we could run AI. So, listening to complains about the cost of tires while running a <5 year old car as a race car falls on deaf ears.

Sasco Tire

http://www.sascosports.com/products/specs.php?type_id=38

275/40-17 shaved $247

275/35-18 shaved $380

That doesnt seem fair. We are required to run these tires and to run them on my car costs me $526 more than you.

My "race" tires are a set of 18s right now. Toyo Bucks are awesome, didn't pay a penny for them.

Building a 13" brake kit would pay for itself within a couple seasons with the ability to run 17" tires if you're serious about running AI. Send me an S197 spindle/hub and the wheel you want to run, I'll see if I can mock one up with Wilwood calipers.

robbodleimages

I thanks for offering. I dont think going to 13's is practical for me. Not counting that I like Brembo and dont have positive experience with Wilwood, I am set up with Brembo primary and back up stuff for the long run. I would then be faced with a substantial wheel issue to go to 17's.

firehawkclone

Rob every chassis has up/ down side as you know. They are not going to change any of your advantages so I can stay competitive. The rules are coming to you, and moving away from me.

You have to pay for tires, I have to pay for a new car if I want to stay in AI for the future.

We all pay.

What I'd like to see

No ABS

Hp increase

robbodleimages
Rob every chassis has up/ down side as you know. They are not going to change any of your advantages so I can stay competitive. The rules are coming to you, and moving away from me.

You have to pay for tires, I have to pay for a new car if I want to stay in AI for the future.

We all pay.

What I'd like to see

No ABS

Hp increase

I understand I believe that I have posted as much. The 10" wide wheel will come in time as more cars engineered for larger wheels come to the grid. Right now I am caught in between.

If I could find used Ra1 18" tires. I would buy a set. I am not a championship threat. Probably not even a race winning threat unless its NASA SE and the only other AIX car is the 84( ).

I am going to try an ST2 race in December just for fun and keep looking for some broken in RA1's

mcmmotorsports
Probably not even a race winning threat unless its NASA SE and the only other AIX car is the 84( )

Ouch. Sharpen that blade before you drive it in his heart.

mcmmotorsports
nah....too far, too expensive. maybemid ohio next year.

MAYBE??

Tell me now and I will start saving to rent for that race if you don't wish to commit.

• Members
what can i say? i have an AIX win where the field was me, ed and 84.

...and that was only because I broke a clutch cable and drove the last half of the race stuck in 4th gear...

Ed

robbodleimages
what can i say? i have an AIX win where the field was me, ed and 84.

...and that was only because I broke a clutch cable and drove the last half of the race stuck in 4th gear...

Ed

Thats right. It proves that I can win when the competition is a cripple and regional director.

Hey, its a line drive in the box score.

Not to change the subject, but out of curiosity, how has the dashboard rule been received?

I was wondering if this would come up. I think this falls in two camps. Those that have a full dash, don't care. Those without one (us), don't understand the intent and feel it is rediculous.

Let's run it through Todd's "Valid reasons for a rule change" meter.

Does forcing cars to have a full dash:

---------->a) decrease series cost because… Nope! It will cost us money to alter our dash that is already functional AND stylish.

---------->b) increase series growth because… Hardly! If this is the reason someone comes into the series... Well, make your own jokes here.

---------->c) improve competition because… Not that I can determine, but I'm open to suggestions how a full dash is more competitive. A convincing arguement might sway me.

---------->d) provide more clarity because... Clarity? Our windshield is as clear as anyone's that has been through a full season of sand and rocks at 100+ mph.

If the intent is to make the cars more resemble factory or stock cars, then race in CMC. This is AI where the "Intent" per the rules is: "It is the intent of the series to serve as a “showcase” for aftermarket tuners and manufacturers and to create tremendous exposure for their products and services while providing a friendly, accommodating, and challenging environment for the series drivers."

I don't see anything about resembling a street car.

If this is dead set, how about grandfathering the existing cars without a full dash and require it on any new cars getting log books after 2010. It should be easy to keep track of those existing cars.

j

robbodleimages

I think its a fact of life that the intent of AI, "It is the intent of the series to serve as a “showcase” for aftermarket tuners and manufacturers and to create tremendous exposure for their products and services while providing a friendly, accommodating, and challenging environment for the series drivers."

Is passing it effectiveness. The 2011 Mustang GT is factory AI car. Add safety and a wing and its competitive. As opposed to the 2004 and earlier Mustangs which spawned a huge aftermarket business to improve handling and power, the current platform creates a small percentage of the aftermarket opportunities.

Besides I am not sure what Steeda, Griggs and MM have to do with having a dash or not.

I would just suggest that Todd has a perspective of Grand Am racing and other professional sports car racing. All the Grand Am cars are required to keep the dash

I should get some time over the weekend to type up some rule suggestions and plan on including a revsion to the dash rule that will allow exiting cars that meet the spirit to compete with little to no change, and allow future cars to evolve to the Grand Am look that seems to be desired. For sure I have no plans of putting a dash in my Fox body beyond what it already has, I can either be DQ'd or will just pull it from the field, with is exactly counter to the goals since that will drop car count by one. I fully recongize it is not really a big deal in the overall scheme of things but the only real vote I get is where I spend my entry fees and I am happy to vote with my dollar, my choice. At some point NASA will choose to have seires directors more accountable to NASA for choices that affect thier revenue as all good business do in time.

So as Griz says mixed feelings, and I am sure others feel very differently and I totally respect thier opinons.

flip flop the 9.5 hp/9 tq ratios to 9 hp and 9.5 tq...

John, why seems like our motors just naturally make more tq than hp, or was it a joke

flip flop the 9.5 hp/9 tq ratios to 9 hp and 9.5 tq...

John, why seems like our motors just naturally make more tq than hp, or was it a joke

That is true for traditional SBC, SBF but seems the opposite for LS1. Modular Ford may also be this way. I remember Dean Martin mentioning something about it. Not sure if its the newer composite intakes or what but as long as I've been playing with the LS1 (since '98) they have always made more hp than tq. Any engine mods I can do to get my torque where it needs to be will send hp thru the roof. It will take some combination of parts, trickery, and calibration to get it right I just haven't done it yet. Probably an overbuild then detune or restrict etc..

It was mostly a joke as i'm not that bent up about it but threw it out there for fun-zies.